Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp Runs Hot

Bootcamp Runs Hot
cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2009, 11:56 PM

I monitor the temp on my MacPro via iStat Pro and the memory and Northbridge run <140 degrees Fahrenheit. When I boot into Bootcamp (Vista Business SP2), play some games, then go back to OSX, I see my memory and Northbridge temps between 155 and 165 Fahrenheit. After being in OSX for a few minutes (and cranking up fan speeds via SMCFanControl) all temps go back to normal.

Is there a program in Vista similar to SMCFanControl (I've tried MacFan and InputRemapper but neither did anything, though I did hear fans speed up). I really wish Apple's temp control was a little more aggressive...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2009, 11:39 AM

Actually, you mean "Vista Business SP2 runs hot." (I have to correct this because you ran Boot Camp a while back, and now you're only running Vista.)

I think this is a fan driver issue; Vista always had a bunch of issues with someone providing the correct, workable drivers for certain Mac hardware, and I think right now you're experiencing a difficulty with the fan driver not being as responsive to heat as you'd like. In reality, the drivers should be handling this for you, and you shouldn't need to use SMCFanControl OR some Vista 3rd party program. I don't have a suggested Vista fan control app for you, but there should be at least one or two around.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2009, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I suppose it's Vista Business SP2 that's the culprit...I'll continue to look around for software to more aggressively control my MacPro temp...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2009, 01:43 PM

Don't be surprised if all you can find are at least pesterware, if not demoware/shareware. The fan controller on the MP isn't necessarily managed the same way as most PC's controllers...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules