Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Moving back to Spain - internet question

Moving back to Spain - internet question
tobster
Senior User
Aug 21, 2010, 03:14 AM

Hi all,

Here is a question for all you Spaniards out there (original or imported). A couple of years ago we moved to Barcelona ... for fun mostly and to escape the hard winters of Iceland. Incidentally we also escaped the big 'ol crash and that ash cloud. After a year there we got the offer to go to prison for a year in Saudi-Arabia and rack up a bit of cash. We've been here in Saudi a year now and it is time to back to Barcelona. We were over there for two weeks a few days back sorting out an apartment. We searched in both Sant Cugat and Castelldefels and found several different options. In the end we decided to try out Castelldefels as we already knew Sant Cugat life quite well.

Anyway, with the back story done, I have been looking into what options we have for internet. As our work relies on having internet up and running as soon as possible we are planning on putting in the order for it a week or ten days prior to our arrival.

My questions is, what companies are proving best when it comes to advertised speed vs. actual speed, customer service, set-up times, etc? Last time around we had Telefonica (now marketed as Movistar). If I recall correctly we had a 12 mbit connection and got that speed all the time. From the time we ordered the service until we were online only 36 hours passed. I have however heard many horror stories about Telefonica. How are Orange and Ono?

This time around we are looking to have 20-30 mbit and we'll definitely go for a "free local calls" package and possibly some TV channels as well. I saw that they are now offering 50 mbit via fiber in Sant Cugat but I doubt the same is on offer in Castelldefels.

Any advice?

thx,

Tobbi

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2010, 04:52 AM

After a year there we got the offer to go to prison for a year in Saudi-Arabia
Well, who wouldn’t jump at a chance like that?!

(Sorry, can’t be of any help, never lived in Spain)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 21, 2010, 12:10 PM

voodoo?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2010, 12:30 PM

insert_coin and Mac20Q might be of help here as official MacNN Catalonian residents (native the former, adopted the later). Anyhow, my guess as spaniard is that if you've got ONO coverage (cable/fiber) then that's your best bet. Also, Vodafone is pushing the envelope hard, if you happen to live in a rural zone Vodafone 3G+ might be your only choice for a fast and reliable internet access.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2010, 12:45 PM

Oh, so they have the internet in Spain now!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2010, 02:40 AM

LOL, yeah, but they did a sloppy job… just as happens with anything else over here.

tobster  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Well, who wouldn’t jump at a chance like that?!

(Sorry, can’t be of any help, never lived in Spain)
Well, we didn't really know much about it before coming here. I had spent 3 months in Saudi a few years back but then it was just one big party. A year or more in the place you start to see the darker side of things. If they ever run out of oil they can turn to running a prison colony.

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
insert_coin and Mac20Q might be of help here as official MacNN Catalonian residents (native the former, adopted the later). Anyhow, my guess as spaniard is that if you've got ONO coverage (cable/fiber) then that's your best bet. Also, Vodafone is pushing the envelope hard, if you happen to live in a rural zone Vodafone 3G+ might be your only choice for a fast and reliable internet access.
Thanks for that. I had been looking at Ono and they certainly offer good deals and fast speeds. I had heard terrible things about their service though. Without knowing anything about it, given the age of the houses in Castelldefels, I expect to be limited to DSL services there.

tobs

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
voodoo?
I've stuck with Telefónica internet (or Movistar as they prefer to market themselves) and it's pretty average where I am - 10Mbps for 20 euro a month.

I'm not in the big city (just a small one) so it's perhaps better in Barcelona... but all in all I'm content with the service I get (though I don't depend on internet for my work)

The speed is very constant, it works

(personally I would have passed on going to a Saudi prison for a year hahaha)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I've stuck with Telefónica internet (or Movistar as they prefer to market themselves) and it's pretty average where I am - 10Mbps for 20 euro a month.
Makes me believe I live in the middle of nowhere (which I don't) cause my service is 1Mbps and have to pay 2x your monthly bill.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Makes me believe I live in the middle of nowhere (which I don't) cause my service is 1Mbps and have to pay 2x your monthly bill.
WELL there is the rent of the ADSL line on top of the internet bill which is 15 euros more a month, so total is aroun 35 euros.... but to get only 1 mbps!! Aishh.

Actually I have a friend who lived in a suburbial area outside Madrid (relatively far from center) who only could get 1 mbps... but this was a few years ago (he's moved) and I just assumed in my mind that people all got decent internet .. it's 2010!

We should be making contact with aliens this year!! (according to the movie jeje)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules