Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone ever get into electronics production?

Anyone ever get into electronics production?
Kevin
Baninated
Oct 15, 2007, 06:43 AM

I am referring to home-brewing your own etched circuit boards and soldering stuff on it yourself.

I am not electronics wiz, but I can read a schematic and follow directions.

I've made a few things in my life. A slew of experimental guitar effects pedals, a Muscular Bio-Stimulator for my Uncle that had a stroke... they wanted $800 for one new, I made one for $30 out of radio-shack parts. He said he couldn't tell the difference, and mine could be made to run on a 9volt battery.

I've also made some none electrical noisy light dimmers.

I'd was going to look up how to make a ultrasonic cleaner, but heck, you can buy a new one for the price of a kit now adays. Even if you etch your own circuit board.

I am sure there are people in here that has had tons more experience with electronics than I had. Feel free to share your experiences.

And remember, etching is lethal.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 07:03 AM

Dude, I do it all the time! I'm cranking out my own guitar effect pedals every day, and I love it. Here are a few shots of some of them (the first pic is my finalized version of the the third test circuit):

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2007, 07:07 AM

Nice work! The yellow boxy caps you have in the first are the BEST ones to use. You have the green ones in the one screenshot.

Metal film caps and resistors will always have a better sound IMHO than ceramic. Less noise. Less color. Also I prefer to use tantalum caps over electrolytic ones when I can. Though you always have to use a electrolytic ones in the power circuit of it to filter the electricity out.

I modified my Boss CS-3 the other day. Putt better caps in it. I'll throw a pic up when I get home.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 07:34 AM

Yeah, I use whatever I have when I'm testing things to get the sound I want, then once I settle, I get whatever I need to clan up the appearance. I like the box caps because of their uniform size, mainly (plus they're film).

I never have been a fan of tantalum for my dirt boxes (I like styrene as you see in the first pic). When I'm building my noise pedals, I'll use ceramic just to get the harsh and gritty sound.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2007, 07:48 AM

I'm still wanting one of your cowgirl pinup AB boxes, Rail.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2007, 08:08 AM

I prefer silver mica over ceramic caps.

*sniffs cork*

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 09:39 AM

Doof, I can hook you up if you're willing to pay. Mine are less expensive than most on the market, so shoot me a PM if you really are interested.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 09:40 AM

Kevin: yes, totally. When I said noise, I was talking about my intentional crap sounding effects, like my SLACR. When I want lo-fi or harsh, I'll use ceramics.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Doof, I can hook you up if you're willing to pay. Mine are less expensive than most on the market, so shoot me a PM if you really are interested.
Done.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Kevin: yes, totally. When I said noise, I was talking about my intentional crap sounding effects, like my SLACR. When I want lo-fi or harsh, I'll use ceramics.
Ah I am not big on fuzz or o/d pedals. I like a lot of tube gain from the amp. I use a compressor in front for a slight boost. But I don't really SQUASH the signal were it effects dynamics.

In this pedal I have it all fancied up with silver micas, tantalums, and metal film caps. Pedal compressors can be noisy, and add color to your sound. This turned a $29 used Boss Compressor into a boutique sounding one.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 12:58 PM

I don't have a recent pic of my pedal board (I really need to update my gear page), but here's my signal chain:

Goodrich 120 > Wizard Wah > StroboStomp > barber Tone Press > Box of Rock > Holy Mackerel > Barber LTD > Barber Small Fry > Empress Tremolo > Maxon FL-9 > DD-20 > Launch Pad > SLACR > PURE > Stulce SA-10C or Goodsell 17 Mk2

I usually keep mostly clean,t hough my Stulce gets AMAZING tube crunch -- it really is the best tube OD I've ever heard. My Goodsell has the best cleans I've ever heard, too: crystal clear, gobs of headroom.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 15, 2007, 02:31 PM

OoOoh tone press. You got some real cork sniffers there.

I've just been using Guitar Rig 2. Ever try it out?

And the DD-20 is great.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 15, 2007, 02:36 PM

I run everything through my iBook and Garageband

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 03:09 PM

Never tried GR2. Barber's stuff is hard to beat. The Launch Pad and Small Fry are simply amazing effects. I use the LTD a lot, too, for low gain. I run the TP 100% of the time, too, thanks to the blend control. I'll try and snap a shot of my board tonight if I remember.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 15, 2007, 03:16 PM

To move this from the geetahr discussion...

I solder my own battery packs for RC cars. It's certainly no fine-circuit-board-soldering, but it requires a certain skill and a VERY powerful solder gun.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2007, 05:05 PM

I've been having a lot of fun playing with the Arduino. The best part is their development environment works on a Mac.

The tough part for me is deciding what to make. Right now I'm working on a robot, but again, I have to decide how the robot will be useful.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 15, 2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
I've been having a lot of fun playing with the Arduino. The best part is their development environment works on a Mac.

The tough part for me is deciding what to make. Right now I'm working on a robot, but again, I have to decide how the robot will be useful.
FOXNews.com - Forecast: Sex and Marriage With Robots by 2050 - Technology News | News On Technology

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2007, 06:01 PM

I do a lot of custom psychophysics hardware development for my research...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2007, 07:56 PM

Is that what you want for Christmas?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 16, 2007, 09:37 AM

Wont ever happen

YouTube - Robot Attack

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I run everything through my iBook and Garageband
That isn't too bad. Really. I've tried it. A lot of "tone" IS in your technique.

Too many people think they will suddenly sound better if they use a tube amp over a non-tube one. You have to actually play decently and have a technique to get tubes to sound decently.

Unless you are just into doing the drop D 1 finger mojo all night long. With samples.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2007, 10:02 AM

Actually it's just a lot of power chords with a little bit of other stuff thrown in. Very simple, but that's the point of what I play.

Forum Links
Forum Rules