Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > BCS Bowl Picture

BCS Bowl Picture (Page 2)
lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 11:56 PM

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2008, 11:06 PM

SEC has looked good so far, except the embarrassment of Florida losing to Michigan and Arkansas not showing up against Mizzou.

Right now I'm watching Georgia kill Hawaii. Poor Hawaii, I like them but they're severely outclassed in this game.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2008, 11:17 PM

I feel bad for these guys, it's their first big bowl game in school history and they're just getting brutalized.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 05:51 AM

Go Vols!!!!!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I feel bad for these guys, it's their first big bowl game in school history and they're just getting brutalized.
I didn't feel sorry for them at all. If they're going to pitch a fit about not being recognized for playing a perfect season, then they should try it against someone who matters in 2008. If they did it again, we'd applaud them.

"We've never played in this element," Brennan said. "We got here and we tried as hard as we could to keep it as normal as we're used to, but it just seemed like we weren't used to this kind of venue. We weren't used to the crowd noise. We couldn't get our audibles."
"It was the fastest team I've probably ever seen," Brennan said. "We just couldn't get into our groove and do what we wanted to do."
At least Brennan was honest about it. I've never been too sure about he was going to handle real competition. I don't think he'll do well in the NFL either.

As an LSU fan, I should count my team lucky that they didn't play Georgia this year, especially after Georgia found its footing halfway through the year. Georgia is probably the best team in the nation right now.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 06:25 PM

For tonight, I'm going to go out on a limb (not really) and predict a score.

Ok: 48
WV: 17

At least Brennan was honest about it. I've never been too sure about he was going to handle real competition. I don't think he'll do well in the NFL either.

As an LSU fan, I should count my team lucky that they didn't play Georgia this year, especially after Georgia found its footing halfway through the year. Georgia is probably the best team in the nation right now.
It just killed me to watch them (HU) last night, they couldn't do anything to stop the slaughter, and it was worse to see Colt break down and cry his eyes out during the 4th quarter. He was completely broken, body and spirit. They had no business being out on that field against Georgia. I'm just glad we (TN) played them before they got their act together.
- Thomas Paine

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
The sad thing is that this season had a chance to be the most exciting in the history of college football... if we had that p-word. Hot teams that didn't lose two weeks ago like Georgia, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, and USC would be in the mix and the field would be wide open.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 02:30 AM

Grats to the bayou bengals, way to whoop those Buckeyes!

SEC = 7-2, the best conference in the land.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 04:29 AM

Yes, indeed. Even all the analysts seem to be agreeing now that the SEC is currently ruling the college football world. I've seen it all over ESPN.

The SEC hasn't always been the most powerful conference, and it most likely won't be for many more years, but it's definitely enjoying some great competition right now.

Lee Corso mentioned something that everyone missed after the game: Ohio State hadn't played a Top 20 team all season long until the BCS Championship game.

And yes, I have to say it:

GEAUX TIGERS

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
SEC has looked good so far, except the embarrassment of Florida losing to Michigan and Arkansas not showing up against Mizzou.
Not really embarrassment. Florida just feels that the Citrus Bowl and Outback Bowl are beneath them and they never show up for those games. Besides, I'm pretty sure that Florida's corners are only imaginary and aren't even real.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 08:37 AM

Congrats to LSU, great game and I'm happy to see they won. I don't think Miles would have the level of success at Michigan that he has here.

I do have to say that the tv announcers for this game were lousy. Man at times it was painful listening to them. Actually for most of the bowl games, and not just the piddlely no-name bowls but the major ones too (like this one).

Can you believe that trophy cost $30,000 outrageous

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 01:47 PM

Georgia's Pres says he wants 8 team playoff:
ESPN - Georgia president: Schools need to regain control of postseason - College Football

We can only hope!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 01:55 PM

Never happen, the bowl games = $$$

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Never happen, the bowl games = $$$
Playoffs = $$$$

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 02:06 PM

Not as much. Consider the Rose bowl, how much advertising that went into that. The money, excitement , energy. That's just one bowl. The playoffs would be change all of that. I don't see it being as prestigious and being on the same level

With that said, I think collage football needs a playoff system, I just don't think it will ever happen. the profits for the schools, the networks, and even the sponsors. No I think its here to stay.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 02:26 PM

Who cares who wins the XXXXX bowl? I don't. I love March Madness and watch most of it. I only watch my team's bowl game and the championship game. I'd watch more postseason football if there were a playoff. Nearly everyone I know is the same - I can't name anyone that watched the Sugar Bowl or the Rose Bowl or the Orange Bowl. The games don't mean anything.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:39 PM

You may not care but that doesn't mean nobody doesn't. I watch many of the bowl games. If nobody cared about it then there wouldn't be an issue, no hoopla, no excitement. Clearly the networks, the advertisers, the sponsors made a big deal because they all see $$$ in front of their eyes.

I suspect that those $$$ would be a lot smaller if they went to a playoff system.

Why do you suppose they've not done this yet? The lower divisions have successfully employed a playoff system. Clearly they all see that they stand to make more money off the bowl setup then a playoff setup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules