Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple home media solution

Apple home media solution
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 03:20 PM

I'm just wondering what everyone's take is on the best Apple home media solution for my particular needs. Ok, here's what I want to do...
  • Stream music videos from my computer to my TV
  • Look at pictures from my computer on my TV
  • Surf the web on my TV

Basically, I'd like to have everything from my laptop show up on my TV wirelessly or as close to that as possible.

What I have...
  • 2.16 GHz MBP
  • 42" 720p LCD with component and HDMI output

The closest I've come to making this happen is getting a converter that converted the regular video output on the MBP to HDMI and plugging it directly into the TV. This worked, but it was a pain to set up and it kept me tethered to the TV, and it was hard to get a decent resolution. It was just a cumbersome process I'd rather not deal with.

Obviously I know about the Apple TV, which I've considered, and I've heard of people converting Mac Minis into media centers. I wouldn't be opposed to doing either of these. Ultimately, I'd like to sit back with my laptop and play things on my TV and through my surround sound. What would be the cleanest, most efficient way to do this (that sweet spot between price and practicality of course)?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2009, 07:57 PM

Wireless HDMI

Setting the resolution shouldn't be a problem.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 09:05 PM

Could you post some links? Is this just a wireless HDMI adapter or some sort of media extender? Sorry, I'm really new to the whole media center thing. The best I've done is streaming my audio and some select video files via Connect360, but I got rid of my 360 a while back.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2009, 09:50 AM

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?
(I have the same setup as you and that's what I use for couch surfing)

But I'm in the business for a MacMini or AppleTV as well since I don't like the MBP as the media centre solution - too many cables to connect and disconnect when the laptop needs to get mobile......

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Could you post some links? Is this just a wireless HDMI adapter or some sort of media extender? Sorry, I'm really new to the whole media center thing. The best I've done is streaming my audio and some select video files via Connect360, but I got rid of my 360 a while back.
http://tinyurl.com/8panwe

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Ok, I did that. That's the obvious first move. Thanks for the help though, very clever and original. I know nothing about wireless HDMI so I was hoping for some links to some of the better wireless HDMI solutions so I could start comparing.

Does anyone here have a Mac Mini set up as a home media center? I'd be very interested in trying something like that. Again, this is something I don't have a lot of experience with and would look advice/opinions from people who have done this before.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2009, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Ok, I did that. That's the obvious first move. Thanks for the help though, very clever and original. I know nothing about wireless HDMI so I was hoping for some links to some of the better wireless HDMI solutions so I could start comparing.
And the first site on Google has a list with links of all the major players in the market.

Forum Links
Forum Rules