Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help choosing center channel and bookshelf speakers

Help choosing center channel and bookshelf speakers
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 06:50 PM

I'm currently in the market for a center channel speaker and a pair of bookshelf speakers. I'd like to spend no more than $200 shipped for everything. By no means am I a big audiophile, but of course I want something that is good quality and reasonably priced. I have a Yamaha receiver and a good pair of Sony floor standing speakers. Ideally I would like as much of my system to match as possible, so I'm leaning towards a Sony center channel speaker and a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers. Am I doing myself a disservice by limiting myself this way?

These are what I'm looking at right now...

Amazon.com: Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers with 8" Woofer (Pair): Electronics

Amazon.com: Sony SS-CN5000 Dual 5.25" Center Channel Speaker: TigerDirect

Any input or suggestions for better products in the same price range would be greatly appreciated!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 07:05 PM

There used to be a guy here named centerchanel68. Don’t argue with him though, or your thread will be five pages long.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Any input or suggestions for better products in the same price range would be greatly appreciated!
Since nobody is replying to this thread, you're probably feeling ignored.

I'm only ignoring it because I don't know the answer to the question. Prolly the same for other folks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2010, 05:00 AM

Yep.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2010, 06:25 AM

If it's one thing Rob is right about, it's buying on Craigslist/used/etc. A lot of people get rid of lower-priced audio equipment like you're looking for and upgrade. For $200 you can some really good equipment if you know what you're looking for.

Having said that, you'll want to match your fronts at the very least. So unless you want to get new mains, I'd look for a good Sony centre channel.

You can probably do whatever with the rears. Polk Audio has some great high-quality bookshelfs for a reasonable price - try the Rti6, which was discontinued a couple years ago but is a fantastic little speaker.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2010, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
If it's one thing Rob is right about, it's buying on Craigslist/used/etc. A lot of people get rid of lower-priced audio equipment like you're looking for and upgrade. For $200 you can some really good equipment if you know what you're looking for.

Having said that, you'll want to match your fronts at the very least. So unless you want to get new mains, I'd look for a good Sony centre channel.

You can probably do whatever with the rears. Polk Audio has some great high-quality bookshelfs for a reasonable price - try the Rti6, which was discontinued a couple years ago but is a fantastic little speaker.

greg
Thanks for the input. For some reason I never even thought to check Craigslist for these. I'll do some poking around and see what I can find.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2010, 08:50 AM

Yeah, I just sold a pretty decent Yamaha centre channel for $50 on CL. It came with some other speakers I'd bought as a package, and I had no use for it at all - and it had never been taken out of the box.

It's pretty simple to get great deals. Half-decent brand electronics are so ubiquitous that they don't retain any value at all.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules