Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 1.5 and possible memory problems? ...

Firefox 1.5 and possible memory problems? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2005, 09:00 AM

I've noticed the last 2 versions of FF consuming massive amounts of RAM on my XP PC. And it won't free it until I restart FF. Closing all but one window or tab doesn't help.

Haven't seen this problem on my Tiger iBook yet though.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=175007152

"Firefox 1.5 Stability Problems? Readers And Mozilla Respond

Firefox users wrote to us detailing their problems with the browser, and we asked Mozilla for some answers.

On December 8, 2005, we published a story that wondered: Firefox 1.5: Not Ready For Prime Time? In response, some 450 (and climbing) InternetWeek, InformationWeek, TechWeb Pipelines, and Scot's Newsletter readers have sent details about their experiences with Firefox 1.5. A picture is emerging about Firefox 1.5 in the real world -- on a small percentage of Windows, Mac, and Linux computers -- that is less than positive."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 09:49 AM

All Web-browsing engines leak memory like gigantic sieves. The problem isn't unique to Firefox -Safari, iCab, and Opera have similar issues- but Gecko certainly does seem to have it worse than most others. The longer you leave a browser open, the more memory it consumes.

Unfortunately, the only real way to deal with this is to close the browser and restart it every so often. Once a day is usually enough; quit the browser when you're done for the day and everything should be fine.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2005, 12:33 PM

I've noticed the same bug in Firefox 1.5 on Windows... memory that is used for new tabs is never freed. After a couple hour browsing session it's often using 200+ MB, sometimes over a gig (I open and close a lot of tabs).

Closing and reopening works, but it is an annoying bug.

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2005, 12:54 PM

Me too. I open and close a ton of tabs. Sometimes I'll look and firefox is using using perhaps 350MB! ;-(

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2005, 04:40 PM

I've been using Firefox for some time now. Rarely do I use Safari, but that be changing. I was hearing others talk about how FF is using alot of memory. So I went to check it out and was shocked. I then opened the same tabs in Safari and noticed about a 2/3 reduction in memory usage compared to FF.

See this screen cap.

I don't really have anything against Safari, but I was just used to using FF since I have it on the Windows PC's I use when I have to. (Except work, god they are torturing me with this crappy IE 6.x). I NEED my TABS!

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2005, 04:56 PM

I've noticed that Camino seems a little better than Firefox and Safari at limiting the RAM-usage bloat.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules