Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Intel Crashing...Help!!

iMac Intel Crashing...Help!!
TheCeltictiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2006, 05:49 PM

I received my eagerly awaited iMac core duo 17' 160gb. I took it out of the box and it work away fine. When I was installing Norton Anti Virus the installer quit before the full install was complete. I then restarted the iMac and the welcome to OS X progress bar completes and after that all that appears is a blue screen. I do have mouse movement but no login window appears. I have tried reinstalling the OS X software from the software restore disc that came with the iMac but this did not fix the problem. I then opened disk utilty on the the software restore disk and did what first aid was available on this disk, but again no fix. I tried booting from a Disk Warrior bootable disk but this disk will not boot. Through total desperation I opened disk utilty on the restore disk and went to intialise the drive, but the drive will not erase.

All suggestions of a fix or any assistance in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated. To say that I an frustrated,stressed and demented over this would be a understatement.

Thanks in Advance

The Celtictiger

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2006, 05:57 PM

Hmm. Have you tried booting with the shift key held down?

jam8
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 06:04 PM

best advice: 1-800-APL-CARE

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2006, 06:10 PM

Sorry, I'm still wondering why the heck did you install Norton AV on your Mac?

Agree with jam8 - call Apple.

J...
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 06:11 PM

Format and reload. Others have stated Norton will not run on the Intel Macs.

TheCeltictiger  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2006, 06:29 PM

Icruise....your simple fix has enabled me to get to the desktop and do a uninstall of norton......I rebooted and bingo back in action....

Thanks

MAC-ALEX
Jan 20, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by TheCeltictiger
I received my eagerly awaited iMac core duo 17' 160gb. I took it out of the box and it work away fine. When I was installing Norton Anti Virus the installer quit before the full install was complete. I then restarted the iMac and the welcome to OS X progress bar completes and after that all that appears is a blue screen. I do have mouse movement but no login window appears. I have tried reinstalling the OS X software from the software restore disc that came with the iMac but this did not fix the problem. I then opened disk utilty on the the software restore disk and did what first aid was available on this disk, but again no fix. I tried booting from a Disk Warrior bootable disk but this disk will not boot. Through total desperation I opened disk utilty on the restore disk and went to intialise the drive, but the drive will not erase.

All suggestions of a fix or any assistance in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated. To say that I an frustrated,stressed and demented over this would be a understatement.

Thanks in Advance

The Celtictiger
Norton Anti Virus on MacOS X nice joke Looks like the guy from Apple! ;-)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2006, 06:41 PM

Glad to hear you're back in business. I really don't think you need to install Norton AV anyway.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 06:58 PM

Again,

DO NOT INSTALL NORTON ANTI-VIRUS ON A MAC

Thank You.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2006, 06:59 PM

At this point in time, I have to agree with all of the above in thinking you wouldn't need Norton on your Intel-based iMac. (Yes, I'm the guy that takes every opportunity to say that Mac OS is NOT invulnerable-like this time right here! ) But the Intel-compatible version of OS X is really new territory and so small a segment of the computing universe that it's unlikely any exploits will exist for a while. Further, almost everything I hear about Norton AV for the Mac is bad; it tends to do bad things to Macs, unlike other Norton/Symantec AV products that work quite well with Macs. Bottom line: let Norton get their act together for a while; get your money back if possible and wait until they release a new version that really properly supports the OS on Intel.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by MAC-ALEX
Norton Anti Virus on MacOS X nice joke Looks like the guy from Apple! ;-)

bernt
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 07:18 PM

Even though there are no viruses for Mac OS X, NAV will warn you if you try to transfer infected files to your pc friends/colleagues. Your mac can be used as a virustransmitter without you knowing it. Based on this, I don't think one should totally make fun of virus apps on the mac (although I basically agree with most of you).
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2006, 07:25 PM

If you want an AV program, I strongly recommend using something that is not Norton. Their crap is probably the leading cause of kernel panics in machines that have it installed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 07:26 PM

Norton is teh crapness.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 20, 2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by bernt
Even though there are no viruses for Mac OS X, NAV will warn you if you try to transfer infected files to your pc friends/colleagues. Your mac can be used as a virustransmitter without you knowing it. Based on this, I don't think one should totally make fun of virus apps on the mac (although I basically agree with most of you).
if they don't want to have virus software on their PCs that's their problem, not ours.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2006, 08:20 PM

argh, anything Symantec is asking for big trouble. WHY?? just....WHY???

Reformat disk, install OS X fresh and dont install anything Symantec eg Norton disk doctor, norton anti virus. There are no virii on this platform anywayz.

I have never had any anti virus software on any of my Macs for over 10 years. In most of that time the Mac's i have have been online 24/7...never an issue.

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 08:36 PM

The last anti-virus program I used on the Mac was Disinfectant about 12 years ago.

inkhead
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 02:38 AM

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT install anti-virus on your mac, Norton installs KERNEL extensions which just PLAIN won't work on the intel imacs.

You shouldn't be running norton anti-virus on the mac anyway, it causes tons of crashes, and eats up cpu, and just creates all sorts of problems. You won't prevent any viruses this way.

Just stop.

MAC-ALEX
Jan 21, 2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by baw
TheCeltictiger
Report Abuse
---
Looks like you didn't get the joke. The guy from Cork, Ireland.

0s and 1s
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2006, 04:15 AM

....You had me at Norton....

gunga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 04:27 AM

What about Intego Virus Barrier? Built for macs. Their firewall is pretty good.

inkhead
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 06:22 AM

I think your failing to understand me.

All virus protection in it's current form installs nasty kernel extensions and shouldn't be run, at the very least until an INTEL version is specifically out. Why you would ever run virus software on your mac currently is beyond me. It's just a stupid thing to do. Mac OS X requires authenticating before anything can be installed on your computer, this makes it much harder for a virus to work under OS X. Why are you running any of this crap? All of it slows down your internet, and causes problems. Just don't run any of it. PERIOD. less problems.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2006, 11:16 AM

I'm having absolutely no problems with Symantec Client Security on our iBook-blanket dissing of Symantec products really isn't called for. But as I said, most people who comment on using Norton AV for Mac say it's bad.

Mort, since when is being a good neighbor a bad thing? Further, it could easily destroy a good relationship if your acquaintance running Windows found out that he got a nasty virus because he trusted an email that came from you.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Mort, since when is being a good neighbor a bad thing? Further, it could easily destroy a good relationship if your acquaintance running Windows found out that he got a nasty virus because he trusted an email that came from you.
While I agree with the sentiment, I fail to see how such a scenario could be possible. A virus can't just infect an email message per se -- it would have to be part of an executable attached to the email, wouldn't it? As long as you're not in the habit of passing along strange attachments, I don't see how it could be possible to pass a Windows virus on to someone else.

iMacfan
Senior User
Jan 21, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
While I agree with the sentiment, I fail to see how such a scenario could be possible. A virus can't just infect an email message per se -- it would have to be part of an executable attached to the email, wouldn't it? As long as you're not in the habit of passing along strange attachments, I don't see how it could be possible to pass a Windows virus on to someone else.
I have heard of situations when a file has been passed from windows to mac, viewed and then passed onto another PC, which has got the virus within it. Hilarious, but only if you're the Mac user.

David.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2006, 11:55 AM

Again, the file would have to be consciously passed on, and it would have to be an executable, wouldn't it? I have heard of Word macro viruses being passed on, but aside from that I think it's a little far-fetched for anyone that uses a modicum of caution.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 22, 2006, 11:22 AM

Attachments, macro viruses, even infected JPEGs can ride on emails. Of the three, macro viruses are probably the worst, but any Windows executable attachment will pretty much be ignored by your Mac. So "Bob" sends you an email (even if it's really a virus on Bob's computer) infected with a small executable attachment. Your Mac shows you the text and maybe says it can't open the attachment, but you know Fred is interested in the subject of the email so you pass it on to him. Bob's virus has just used you and your Mac to infect Fred's computer.

This is actually relatively common, because you trusted email from Bob and since your Mac is not vulnerable to any currently circulating viruses, you don't worry about what you open. It's the virus' way of using "social engineering" against you.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2006, 11:49 AM

But again, this can be easily solved by making sure you don't forward any attached executables. Maybe I'm an exception, but never in all of my years of computing have I found it necessary to send an executable file via email, much less forward one that someone sends to me.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 22, 2006, 05:03 PM

Icruise, one major way the bad guys distribute Windows executables is to change the file extension to something that sounds benign...you may not even know that the attachment is supposed to be executable. It may look like a JPEG that's been corrupted, or worse, a WMV that "needs a different codec" than what you might have installed. It really is that bad.

kcmh709
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 11:04 AM

Hi, I Have The Same Problem With My G5 Imac Intel Not Booting. In Fact It Won't Do Anything But Give Me That Blinking Question Mark! I've Held Down C, Option, Shift And A Combination Of Keys Recommended To Revive This Thing But No Luck It Is Just A Week Old, I Did'nt Install Anything But .mac, Tried Techtool Deluxe, Would Techtool Pro Work Any Better? I'm A Novice Computer User And A First Time Mac User, What Did I Do Wrong? I Got This For My Birthday And My Family Is Ready To Kill Me Because I Killed It! If You Can Help At All Please, Please Do!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 4, 2006, 12:29 PM

kcmh, Welcome to the MacNN forums! How did you manage to get EVERY WORD in your post capitalized? That's really odd, and it makes it very hard to read.

The blinking question mark tells you that the Mac can't find bootable code where it's looking, and this is usually because you've added something or messed with something at the system level. Insert the OS X install disc and run Disk Utility from that, then tell it where the OS boot code is. (I think I got that right-someone will no doubt pounce on an opportunity to point out when a mod was wrong politely correct me if I goofed.)

kcmh709
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
kcmh, Welcome to the MacNN forums! How did you manage to get EVERY WORD in your post capitalized? That's really odd, and it makes it very hard to read.

The blinking question mark tells you that the Mac can't find bootable code where it's looking, and this is usually because you've added something or messed with something at the system level. Insert the OS X install disc and run Disk Utility from that, then tell it where the OS boot code is. (I think I got that right-someone will no doubt pounce on an opportunity to point out when a mod was wrong politely correct me if I goofed.)
I tried disk utility but nothing, all sorts of previously working features settings programs etc. appear grayed out and will not open. I know I did something terribly wrong but I haven't a clue what. everything was fine until I got a .mac acct. and then total meltdown. I have spent hours and hours on this thing, my family is just like ok you killed it, your birthday present and in the short span of a week you destroyed the most advanced foolproof never crashes, software that just works, that a monkey could use without difficulty. Help, I promise I have exhausted every possible avenue suggested to make this thing work, I just can't save it. I'm in mourning because for the week it worked I fell in love with my "macintel" Help Help! I even tried a new retail full install os disc but the imac won't recognize it, flashing ? I need the original boot recovery discs that shipped with the machine, but my dvd says it has errors and aborts install and shuts down. How can I get a dvd that will boot just like the original software? Or are there any other options, I've data recovery software and drive recovery programs but would they fix my problems? I don't know what type to get , don't care about losing any personal data, I just want my hard drive back and functioning. Anything you may recommend! thanks so much kellye houston
One more thing do I need to verify that the install discs are specific to the intels or are they universal for both the ppc and intel imac?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead View Post
I think your failing to understand me.

All virus protection in it's current form installs nasty kernel extensions and shouldn't be run, at the very least until an INTEL version is specifically out.
Au contraire, mon ami. ClamXav does not install or make any use of kernel extensions whatsoever.

Why are you running any of this crap? All of it slows down your internet, and causes problems. Just don't run any of it. PERIOD. less problems.
It slows down your internet? Where the hell did that claim come from, care to back it up?
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 10, 2006, 09:49 PM

I think I should reiterate that antivirus software is NOT a useless thing on a Mac, nor is Norton Antivirus a hazard-as several years of positive experience with an iBook running Panther and a few months with a MacBook Pro running Tiger have established for me. All software can give you problems if it runs into issues with your system's configuration and incompatible other software, but by itself, NAV is NOT a major problem. Norton's "tools", on the other hand, are awful, and there's a reason they haven't been updated and heavily marketed for Tiger-they're poo and nobody wants them.

Now, I'm going to remind everyone that this forum is for HARDWARE ISSUES, and this discussion has degenerated (admittedly with my help) to issues other than hardware. I'm going to close the thread. Bring up antivirus issues in either the Mac OS X forum or the Applications forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules