Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How often do you get reviewed at work?

How often do you get reviewed at work?
pooka
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 04:04 PM

Actual semi-serious question from me...

Me and some of the guys were bs'n a bit about previous jobs. You know the drill. Pros, cons, hotties, salaries, benefits, epic moments, etc. Anyway, we ended talking a good deal about reviews & raises. I've always worked at net-centric type shops that not matter the size, seemed to move at a rather accelerated pace. Quick hires, trial by fire and just as quick with salary bumps. If you busted ass, you were given raises pretty fast (or bonuses).

Some of the guys are from the design/advertising side. Seems like things for them were more structured and modeled after oldskool corp policies. Quarterly performance reviews, annual salary reviews, etc. Seems a little stuffy to me. That and it just seems like it never fly with most of the whores (developers) that I know.

Anyway, just curious if there was a norm out there. I'm sure industry plays a big part.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 04:10 PM

Everywhere I have ever been has been yearly. My last review started with the sentence....

"So, what do you do around here anyway?"

Went really well.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:12 PM

Yearly.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Everywhere I have ever been has been yearly. My last review started with the sentence....

Went really well.
Ha ha. So did you actually do anything at that job?

I never get annual reviews or anything like that. I just wait till the timing is right and ask for a raise which has never been a problem.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:23 PM

Well most people consider their "yearly review" a raise.

If you do good you get a better raise, etc.

The only REAL people that get "reviewed" are problem people. And these "reviews" are usually needed to justify firing them.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 04:26 PM

Yearly here. If you're good, we give you a raise.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
Ha ha. So did you actually do anything at that job?

I never get annual reviews or anything like that. I just wait till the timing is right and ask for a raise which has never been a problem.
The guy in question did know what I did (I'm a designer) he just didn't know what accounts I worked on, what exactly I did for them and what not. He also didn't know if I did design or production.

He never actually works with me. His entire review process was based on him having never heard anything bad about me. We spent most of the review talking about how he worked as an ice cream truck driver when he was 20. He's a nice enough guy, but has a long way to go as far as communication/business skills.

When I asked for a decent raise (over what he was offering) he went back to talk to a few people about me before making up his mind. It was pretty funny.

My next review should be later this month. I'm tempted to give him a fake review him to show him how a review is supposed to go, since I used to do them all the time in retail management.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 04:38 PM

We review twice a year. Nothing to do with firing people, but it's important to build a career structure. Otherwise good people will just leave.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2007, 04:40 PM

I get a raise once a year, however I get a review only once every two years.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 5, 2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
"Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people? " -Tom Smykowski

andi*pandi
Feb 5, 2007, 05:02 PM

We have annual reviews, but quarterly meetings to "review progress on goals" and "touch base." (chat with our manager) They've just started us on this system where we basically fill out our own review, track our own goals, etc. Raises are only given for annual reviews and promotions--if you have a good review your merit raise tops off at 3.5%. There is a holiday bonus (not big, think low 3 digits) and 2 years ago there was a WOW bonus that made people cry they were so surprised. You can be nominated for a bonus for outstanding work but the process is super on the downlow.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 05:04 PM

I have a had 4 reviews in the 6 years working here. But the company is more structured now and they are yearly. They also encompass a raise if you are doing your job.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Actual semi-serious question from me...

Me and some of the guys were bs'n a bit about previous jobs. You know the drill. Pros, cons, hotties, salaries, benefits, epic moments, etc. Anyway, we ended talking a good deal about reviews & raises. I've always worked at net-centric type shops that not matter the size, seemed to move at a rather accelerated pace. Quick hires, trial by fire and just as quick with salary bumps. If you busted ass, you were given raises pretty fast (or bonuses).

Some of the guys are from the design/advertising side. Seems like things for them were more structured and modeled after oldskool corp policies. Quarterly performance reviews, annual salary reviews, etc. Seems a little stuffy to me. That and it just seems like it never fly with most of the whores (developers) that I know.

Anyway, just curious if there was a norm out there. I'm sure industry plays a big part.
I am supposed to have one yearly. I have been here nearly 2 years and have yet to have a formal review. My boss states all the time that he is going to submit one, but it has not been done.

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 05:33 PM

I get reviewed once a year.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 06:00 PM

i get reviewed once or twice a semester to see if i am on track. this major IS my job

that sounds kinda bad, but i really do enjoy it

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 06:47 PM

Four times a year the first year, yearly until tenured (3-5 years), and then once every two years.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2007, 06:59 PM

At least annually in the Air Force. Now that I'm in school, I'm "reviewed" far too often-we call these encounters "tests."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 07:38 PM

I'm at one of the biggest companies in the world, so it's annual reviews and salary bumps.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 09:04 PM

Every year, merit increase is determined by outcome and how you performed compared to peers. Bonus payments dependent on achieved results on your goals.

Since it's a huge company, the prcoess is very rigid and structured.

-t

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 09:36 PM

Either 6 months or annual. Money is all based on when you want to ask for it!

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 09:40 PM

Annually with a "merit" raise which typically is in the range of 2 to 4%.

A funny side note, well not funny but sad, the last company I worked with made it a point to really stress that you're going to get pay for your performance. That is really reward employees who not only work hard but produce (that is not just stick around the office). A bunch of us busted our butts and we got a 4% raise, not quite what I had in mind, especially since a bunch of my coworkers who didn't work any OT, weekends or anyhting got 3%. I don't work for them any more
Michael

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 11:15 PM

My last job, I was a manager of a prepress/design dept. at a printing company. I tried to do reviews every 6 mos. with quarterly check-ups, we'd meet for lunch and chat. Unfortunately, the company had no money for raises, so the reviews got to be depessing.

"Hey! Great job! But your pay will be the same." When I left, I had not had a raise in nearly 4 years. I ensured upon my departure that the 3 people below me got at lest 2-$4 / hour raise and I ensured the boss that otherwise they'd be gone.

Well, so far it has worked out. One year later and 2 are still there. But I'm sure they get no feedback.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 01:10 AM

Every payday, but never in the sense you're talking about.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 01:23 AM

Quarterly reviews and annual raises.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 03:45 AM

Yearly.

The "Outstanding" get 5% raises.

The "Successful" get 2.5% raises.

If you "Need Improvement," you get to keep your job.

I'm pissed off after being a 2-percenter two years running. Logically I know it's my own fault. Still, I look at some others who have been given the 5% bump and just shake my head. It's pretty subjective, based on which supervisor does your review.

Of course, I'm posting on MacNN from work. Maybe that makes a point for them.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

All_Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 05:18 AM

Number of years with the company: 3.5
Number of reviews/evaluations: 0

We get a raise after 3 months, and then only again when the General Manager decides that the entire staff (500+) should get one. Despite being here for 3 1/2 years, I'm still making the exact same as someone who's been here 3 months.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 12:49 PM

We get quarterly reviews, plus one at the end of the year. Our annual bonus is determined by a profit sharing factor that is determined by corporate finance based on how well your organization did and how much money the company pulled in as a whole. Our annual raise is determined through use of a ranking system. You can get anywhere in the range between 1 and 3, with 1 being the most outstanding. It uses a bell curve, so most employees are rated in the 2 range. Your raise is based on your ranking.

The ranking is a really crappy, illogical, and unfair system, but it'll be around as long as the current execs/board of directors are still with the company.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 12:51 PM

Once a year.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 01:49 PM

Annually

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 01:51 PM

Nice sig.

(a little too big, though)

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 01:59 PM

I haven't yet, and I've been here about 9 months. I guess if we want a raise we're supposed to ask for it. Hm.

Rumor
Feb 6, 2007, 02:02 PM

No reviews here. Every so often, I ask for a raise.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 11:08 PM

I haven't had any real reviews in seven years, but the last two or three they have given me bonuses (that few others get) and raises above average (for the company). I guess I'm doing something right.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 11:18 PM

My pay is determined by my position not my performance. Every year we get a 3% across the board CoL raise.

Performance figures are updated twice daily (at least) and running figures are accessible to anyone in the plant. Management only formally reviews them as necessary.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

natnabour
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 01:05 AM

We do quarterly reviews at work. And eventhough that sounds so corporate and stuffy, I don't mind them at all. My boss looks at reviews as a two-way street. She reviews my performance, and I review the company's performance... what I like, don't like, what really grinds my gears, who's pissing me off, what they can do to further..etc etc.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 03:42 AM

Once a year here as well, but I work right next to my boss so we have a lot of non-official chats about my performance.

For those of you getting a 2.5-3% raise, you realize that that is generally less than the cost of living increase right? That means that every year you make *less* spendable money. Pretty sad way for a company to treat you I think. Demand more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules