Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best place to buy iMac RAM?

Best place to buy iMac RAM?
drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 11:08 AM

Just picked up a new 24in iMac and I want to fill it up with RAM but I wanted to know which company has the best prices and is the most reliable?
i hate project managers.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 11:54 AM

You can get 4 GB from Crucial for 199.99

casey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 01:57 PM

Macsales.com $167

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 02:44 PM

I use Macsales as well. Lifetime return policy, which I've had to use once with my Mini.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks guys. I was looking into Macsales.com but I didn't know anything about them. Are they reliable? Are the chips reliable?
i hate project managers.

obelix112za
Oct 29, 2007, 04:41 PM

J.H du Plessis
New 20" iMac, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB RAM, 320HDD, Samsung 24" 245B LCD, HP C6180 All In One Wireless Printer
Photo.net Photo's

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 04:53 PM

I always buy RAM from OWC (macsales.com) and haven't had any issue with it… I save a good amount of bucks since RAM is always cheaper there than here in Europe.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 05:12 PM

I don't see how the 2GB chip is $59.99 and two 2GB chips are $199.99. Doesn't make sense to me.
i hate project managers.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by drainyoo View Post
I don't see how the 2GB chip is $59.99 and two 2GB chips are $199.99. Doesn't make sense to me.
Read it again, then it will make sense.
The 2gb kit is 2 X 1gb chips. Not 1 X 2gb chip.

However, why on earth you'd want to buy that, when most of these iMacs already have a 1gb chip installed is beyond me, because there is only 2 ram slots. Now THAT doesn't make sense.

Still, I've bought lots of ram from their euro store, and never had a problem.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Oct 29, 2007, 11:35 PM

Ah i didn't know the 2gb kit was 2 x 1gb. That is a weird kit cause like like you stated the iMac already has a 1gb chip in it. Why buy another two? Macsales has a 2gb chip and the 4gb kit so I will probably purchase from them.
i hate project managers.

Rowen
Oct 29, 2007, 11:54 PM

Newegg.com

I just picked up a 2GB 667mhz So-Dimm, A-Data with Lifetime Warranty for $60 after rebate.

casey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
Newegg.com

I just picked up a 2GB 667mhz So-Dimm, A-Data with Lifetime Warranty for $60 after rebate.
Can you give us a link to the ram you bought?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 05:44 PM

I love newegg but for RAM for new iMac, I went with OWC (Macsales). I bought the 2GB chip for $85. Macs are notoriously finicky about RAM, so I went with a Mac vendor with a good rep.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 09:54 PM

Crucial

Rowen
Oct 31, 2007, 01:00 AM

Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory - Retail
A-Data 2GB So-Dimm 667mhz DDR2

When I first installed the ram, I was taken back as the boot light just started blinking with hatred. After many hours of pleading with it, and a vegas marriage proposal, I finally found out it wasn't firmly installed. I mean, tight is one thing, but this iMac wanted tight like making the kessel run less than 12 parsecs.

It installed, it booted afterwards, and Parallels and BitTorrent loves the new memory.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
When I first installed the ram, I was taken back as the boot light just started blinking with hatred. After many hours of pleading with it, and a vegas marriage proposal, I finally found out it wasn't firmly installed. I mean, tight is one thing, but this iMac wanted tight like making the kessel run less than 12 parsecs.
Welcome to the world of DDR2. Tight is the only way you're going to reliably get 250Mhz+ clockrates with a slot.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 12:05 PM

A lot of people don't recommend it, but I've purchased the cheapest RAM for my machines from NewEgg for the past 2 years (Mac mini, MacBook, Power Mac, etc) and never had one issue at all, and saved tons. Now you can get 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz SO-DIMM for $58 shipped from there.

Mindflux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 08:21 PM

I ordered 4GB of PQI memory from Newegg that'll be here later this week. I'm a little aprehensive about it since I am usually a die-hard Crucial user. But for the price difference of 70 dollars and 30 days to figure out if it works ok or not (newegg's return policy is 30 days) I decided to give it a go. Coupled with PQI's lifetime warranty I'm hoping to have come out on top.

The fact of the matter is ram is ram, for the most part. If it has acceptable memory timings it should work fine. Most of the sticks are likely coming out of a similar (or same) factory.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 08:20 PM

And if anyone is on the fence about upgrading your RAM, DO IT. I went from the stock 1 GB to 3 GB and it is VERY noticeable, money well spent. I'm now thinking I will take out the stock 1 GB and replace it with a 2 GB stick too.

alsam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 06:53 PM

OK, totally noob here. I just walked home with a 2.4 20" Imac with the standard package. As I read above, the 1 gig of ram takes up one of the 2 slots. I can buy a 2 gig stick and there won't be any issues with mis-matched sizes?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 07:08 PM

Nope, no issues. I have the stock 1 GB in one slot and a 2 GB in the other slot.

alsam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 02:50 PM

on order from macsales (a 2 gig chip) here on Monday, faster 10 minutes later.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2007, 10:15 PM

I can see going from 1 Gig to more would make a big difference, but how about 2 to 4? I have 2 Gigs now in my 24" Core 2 Duo (Alu), and I'm toying with upping it to 4, but will it make that much of a performance difference?

StrengthDesign
Banned
Nov 18, 2007, 02:36 AM

fatwallet.com, newegg.com.

I got 2 sticks of crucial memory through newegg for very cheap, a while back.

StrengthDesign
Banned
Nov 18, 2007, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
I can see going from 1 Gig to more would make a big difference, but how about 2 to 4? I have 2 Gigs now in my 24" Core 2 Duo (Alu), and I'm toying with upping it to 4, but will it make that much of a performance difference?
Not really. Better money would be spent on saving for a new CPU, buying a slightly faster one, and ebaying your current one.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2007, 02:42 AM

Well, the only faster iMac than mine is the 2.8, and I don't think that would make enough of a difference to eBay my brand new iMac 2.4.

StrengthDesign
Banned
Nov 18, 2007, 07:03 PM

I meant ebaying your current PROCESSOR. Buying a faster PROCESSOR, replacing it, and ebaying your slower PROCESSOR.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2007, 08:12 PM

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 18, 2007, 08:15 PM

The best place to buy Mac RAM is at Transintl.com.. I recommend them highly as I have dealt with them for years.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by StrengthDesign View Post
I meant ebaying your current PROCESSOR. Buying a faster PROCESSOR, replacing it, and ebaying your slower PROCESSOR.
Well gosh, I'll crack that case right open and get rid of that crappy PROCESSOR right away.

It's an iMac, dude. Do you know what it takes to disassemble the thing? I'm certainly not up for it. Now a RAM upgrade, sure. But again, will the extra 2 Gigs make that much of a difference?
( Last edited by AC Rempt; Nov 19, 2007 at 12:08 AM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 11:26 PM

The price difference between the CPUs ($851 vs $316) is actually more than the price difference between the iMacs ($1800 vs $2300), and the iMac upgrade includes another 1GB RAM and 180GB disk. So if you were going to go the eBay route I think doing the whole machine makes more sense than just the CPU. And swapping the CPU would be a bit of a hassle and void your warranty.

I'd blow the $100 to get up to 4GB RAM and see how well it works for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules