Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel iMac FW issues

Intel iMac FW issues
Seaking
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2007, 04:31 AM

Hi guys, just to bring to light on the newer Intel based aluminum framed 20" iMacs and the inherent fire wire issues this system has. I had to return mine today as the issues were not resolved as to why my DVC30 video camera wasn't being seen by that iMac but seen by every other Mac product. Even the other same type iMacs on the show floor wouldn't show the video camera.. So this has been trouble-shot as a fire wire issue, affecting most if not all Intel based, aluminum framed iMacs. I am not sure if this affects the 24" iMacs. This has been tested on Tiger and Leopard system, on mine too with both OS. NONE of my FW devices would work on these iMacs. (external HDD, Digital Video Recorders, DVD drive etc)

But when you go through the messages on 6 different boards and see the common complaints and issues brought up about this problem, I am surprised the issue hasn't been resolved by Apple either by firmware or OS update.

I did read in some messages where people with iMacs have not had any problems with running a camera and external FW HDD on their iMacs but they didn't indicate which generation of iMac it was or which video camera. But at the same token you read tons of articles of people having had the same issues I did.

I was fortunate that I was able to return the iMac as an unsuitable system for my needs since I bought it purposely for video editing, which it can't in my case. Needless to say, though the iMac really looks good and indeed a nice value for what you get, it unfortunately did not live up to my expectations and need requirements for video editing.

So no iMacs for me.. =(

But, by this time next week, I'll be back with a Mac Pro Quad, 4G mem and 1 Tb Raid10 system, which is what I should have picked up in the first place had I known a bit more about Mac products at the time of purchase of the iMac.

Many thanks to those who assisted, provided info and suggestions etc.. Much appreciated!!

Short version story: When buying an iMac, bring your video gear with you to the shop and test it there, instead of going through what I just did..

Cheers!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2007, 08:51 PM

The Al iMacs are pretty bad... FW issues, no matte option, poor graphics performance/stability (stability now resolved... I think). I'd honestly recommend the previous generation to someone in the market.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2007, 10:16 PM

I think (personal feeling here, not official, not backed by huge piles of data) that the "problem-plagued" aluminum iMac is actually a few very vocal users with problems in a very new product.

I bought my 20" iMac the day after they came out, and have had absolutely zero problems with it. I've connected a Sony digital video camera to it (a DCR HC26) and everything worked great. I also have a firewire/USB drive enclosure that I'm about to mount a drive in to experiment with speed testing; I don't anticipate any trouble.

A lot of people have complained about the glossy screen, but I honestly have nothing but praise for my screen-it's got rich colors and great resolution without any annoying reflections-I've never seen any reflections while the computer has been running, not ever.

I've never had stability issues (were those more common with the 24" models?), and I've added third party RAM without a single pause or glitch. In fact I have more RAM coming in very soon and will max the machine out.

I think (again, personal opinion) that the problems have been pretty much resolved, and they all seem to be "in warranty" things anyway, so they should have been just aggravating, not expensive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 01:58 AM

I bought my iMac (24" 2.8) in August and have had no problems. I also recently upgraded to OS 10.5 and added 2GB of RAM, and again no problems. (FYI, I followed a recommendation from this forum and purchased my RAM from Crucial.com, and I am pleased with the product, service, and price.) I connect two cameras to my FW400 regularly with no problems (PV-GS400 & Fuji 45). I also use my FW800 for my backup HD.

I have owned Apple products since my Mac Classic II. Since then I have had some problems with particular models, e.g. the first PowerPC Mac. But, no such problems with my current iMac.
Mac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme 750GB HD 4GB RAM w/23"ACD;
G4 Powerbook 15" 1.5 Ghz 1GB RAM; iPhone 8GB

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2007, 02:41 AM

And to add to the yeah-sayers, I've hooked up a friend's Canon video camera to my 24" iMac several times without trouble. I also have three external drives connected in a chain via FW, and all is well.

Seaking  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 03:52 AM

Be as it may but when you see the same problem on several other same type systems in the shop, it leads you, as a first time mac buyer, to hesitate and wonder what da hey?!

Since this past week, I'd been contacted by several others in the same boat as I found myself in, suffering weird FW problems with their cameras and drives.

If I were to be doing nothing more than photo editing, a little game here and there and general web work, I wouldn't have any probs with the iMac. Loved the real estate savings on the desk, the glossy screen is awesome etc etc.. But when you look at that model specifically not wanting to play nice with several FW device (and these devices all work on all other models of mac systems)..

There's something weird going on with the 20" aluiMac.. Mine isn't an isolated case, sorry. Its a shame, it's an awesome piece of kit. But so will the Mac Pro coming next week.. (knock on wood).

Cheers M8

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I think (personal feeling here, not official, not backed by huge piles of data) that the "problem-plagued" aluminum iMac is actually a few very vocal users with problems in a very new product.

I bought my 20" iMac the day after they came out, and have had absolutely zero problems with it. I've connected a Sony digital video camera to it (a DCR HC26) and everything worked great. I also have a firewire/USB drive enclosure that I'm about to mount a drive in to experiment with speed testing; I don't anticipate any trouble.

A lot of people have complained about the glossy screen, but I honestly have nothing but praise for my screen-it's got rich colors and great resolution without any annoying reflections-I've never seen any reflections while the computer has been running, not ever.

I've never had stability issues (were those more common with the 24" models?), and I've added third party RAM without a single pause or glitch. In fact I have more RAM coming in very soon and will max the machine out.

I think (again, personal opinion) that the problems have been pretty much resolved, and they all seem to be "in warranty" things anyway, so they should have been just aggravating, not expensive.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 09:51 AM

it may be an iMovie 08 issue. I hooked my brother's Sony D8 to my new 20' Al iMac and I had audio, but no video. Opened iMovie 06, no problems... iMovie 08 had no problems with my JVC MDV camcorder
45/47

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
it may be an iMovie 08 issue. I hooked my brother's Sony D8 to my new 20' Al iMac and I had audio, but no video. Opened iMovie 06, no problems... iMovie 08 had no problems with my JVC MDV camcorder
My experience was with iMovie 06, NOT 08...This is an excellent point.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 10:26 AM

I'm using an old Que! 60 gig FW400 external drive for time machine using an 800>400 cable with no issues.
45/47

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My experience was with iMovie 06, NOT 08...This is an excellent point.
Same here.

Seaking  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Couldn't tell you to be honest as I had dumped the iMac for the Mac Pro instead.. However, I'll pass this on to the shop to see if they can duplicate it.. I will be picking up the Mac Pro tomorrow evening and bringing my DVC30 to coonect to it in order to verify it works with the new set up (it works with everything BUT the AluiMac).. dang, wouldn't that suck if it didn't on this new Mac Pro eh?

Regardless, I'm better off having gone to Mac Pro Quad etc for future use and video editing.. Kinda liked what the iMac offered, if only I didn't have so many specific probs with it..

I really miss that monitor though.. bright and crisp..

bealzabobs_youruncle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Seaking View Post
Be as it may but when you see the same problem on several other same type systems in the shop, it leads you, as a first time mac buyer, to hesitate and wonder what da hey?!
I don't know about seeing the same problem, but I have seen this exact post (I'm pretty sure word for word) at more than one forum, so I'm tempted to suggest that you putting this anywhere you can gives the appearance of a serious issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules