Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New MAC PRO's... where's the friggin RAM???

New MAC PRO's... where's the friggin RAM???
chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 09:18 PM

So I've ordered about six new Mac Pro's for my company... and probably need to order more... but WHERE ARE THE FRIGGIN RAM MANUFACTURERS? This is crazy...

I know there's SOME RAM out there... MacSales (OWC), 18004MEMORY, but I'm not really a fan of those... where's decently priced CRUCIAL and KINGSTON and others? (I feel like if OWC and 18004MEMORY have RAM already, and large manufacturers like Crucial doesn't, then something is weird.. are they just taking bigger heatsinks and putting them on their own PC6400 modules?

- Has anyone purchased 3rd party RAM for their new Mac Pro's yet?
- If so, where, how much, what configuration, and who well is it working?
- Anyone know of ETA for large manufacturers?

I know Apple is secretive and all, and I kind of like that... but geez... they should have had select 3rd party manufacturers ready... And come on... isn't about time Apple brings their RAM prices to earth? $1000 for 4GB of RAM? Seriously!

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 09:37 PM

Apple caught everyone asleep at the switch on 800MHz memory for the new Mac Pro. They seem to have bought up the lion's share of 800MHz FB-DIMM's available and left the other suppliers scrambling to get whatever they did not buy up.

Market for 800MHz FB-DIMMs prior to MP annuoncement was very small, takes time to ramp up for increased demand.

jdhayes117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
So I've ordered about six new Mac Pro's for my company... and probably need to order more... but WHERE ARE THE FRIGGIN RAM MANUFACTURERS? This is crazy...

I know there's SOME RAM out there... MacSales (OWC), 18004MEMORY, but I'm not really a fan of those... where's decently priced CRUCIAL and KINGSTON and others? (I feel like if OWC and 18004MEMORY have RAM already, and large manufacturers like Crucial doesn't, then something is weird.. are they just taking bigger heatsinks and putting them on their own PC6400 modules?

I know Apple is secretive and all, and I kind of like that... but geez... they should have had select 3rd party manufacturers ready... And come on... isn't about time Apple brings their RAM prices to earth? $1000 for 4GB of RAM? Seriously!
Crucial now has 2 Gb (2 x 1 Gb) available for $299. They are only showing that one option though. I also just got notice from OWC that my 8 Gb (4 x 2 Gb) of qualifed sticks shipped today.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 12:42 AM

I know there's SOME RAM out there... MacSales (OWC)... but I'm not really a fan of those...
Why not OWC? Great vendor, no need to rant, just buy OWC. I have them used them for years, many computers.

I am fine with Apple overcharging to add RAM. That helps the third-party RAM market exist and no one has to pay Apple's ridiculous RAM prices. Any Mac buyer can normally get RAM delivered overnight (slight delay when new boxes are first introduced), typically faster than MP deliveries.

-Allen Wicks

action
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008, 01:23 AM

using 2gb sticks of owc ram. it was $100 per stick. have used them in the past, they are large heat sinks, and running at 800mhz.

looking for pci express sata and usb 2 cards.

will purchase more ram as i need them.

chung

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 01:45 AM

Have you checked NewEgg? *Love* that online store... I buy all my crap there.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008, 02:42 AM

I got my OWC RAM the other day... 2x2GB FB-DIMM 800MHz ECC... with huge honkin' heat sinks.

So I got the RAM... I'm just waiting on the friggin computer. I ordered mine the morning of January 8th, and they're saying it ships "by Feb 13", an assertion I take with a grain of salt. When I bought my dual G5 system, I also ordered early, and watched as the "ships by" date came... and was pushed back by a few weeks! (I think I got free shipping as a result of that inconvenience...)

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 02:52 AM

nothin on newegg...

The thing about OWC... I don't do the buying... I do the recommending... and we buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment each year... and if something goes bad.... with Kingston, Crucial, and other big brands.. I can just go to their website and just submit an RMA. With OWC, they want that specific proof of purchase for that stick of RAM... to prove they sold it to you instead of someone else.

The other thing... they sell Apple Certified RAM? Apple doesn't certify RAM.... and then they also sell "QUALIFIED RAM"... what does that mean? I don't want RAM that just QUALIFIES in a primo machine... I want something better.

Funny thing about Crucial... two days ago.. I checked their site in the morning... and they had a 2GB kit and a 4GB kit.... so I put the 4GB kit in my shopping cart to see what the price was and get a part number and see how much 50GB or RAM would run or so... I go back in the afternoon and it's gone... not there... So after a day or so.. just the 2GB kit appears and no 4GB kit... and the 2GB kit is not $299... the 4GB kit is still in my cart for $289. Anyway, I call in... and they say... price has gone up... and they're not available yet.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 05:47 AM

I wouldn't buy OWC RAM, but that's just me.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I wouldn't buy OWC RAM, but that's just me.
I've never had a problem with it, multiple purchases over many years.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 11:46 AM

I don't know, I got burned by a purchase from OWC but it was from surplus stock so I should not hold that against the company. Yet, with RAM I'd rather buy a name brand. Does OWC RAM come marked with a name brand, or is it marked OWC?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 02:15 PM

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! <-- That's all you need to know when it comes to RAM and HDDs. You can't beat the prices.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OWCLarry
Other World Computing
Jan 24, 2008, 02:29 PM

We were the first company outside of Apple to have in stock and be shipping Qualified memory upgrades for the original Mac Pro when it was introduced back in August of 2006. In fact, Crucial had mis-listed non-qualified JEDEC modules that they shipped for nearly two weeks before correcting that serious error... Maybe that's why their taking their time with the new ones?

Regardless - we were in planning for the Mac Pro 800MHz FB-DIMMs months before Apple released the new Macs including having the components lined up to be in stock and ready the week before Macworld - which is when we thought these new models were going to be introduced. Even so, we already had the pieces ready and in place so were able to move up our website updates to have that new memory listed a few days earlier. We began shipping our first modules qualified for Mac Pro 800MHz on Thursday January 10th.

Our modules are built with premium components and including only using the IDT AMB which Apple approved and qualified vs. a lot of others who use NEC and Qimondo AMBs, which while they do seem to work just fine - are not currently Apple approved. We stay in the straight and narrow as these are serious high performance modules for a high end system. We also system test all modules understanding the high priority use such systems receiving our upgrades have.

OWC has shipped tens of thousands of upgrades for the original 667MHz Mac Pro models and already thousands for the new 800MHz. We know Mac Memory and one thing we don't mess around with.

Concerning our warranty - it is a Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty meaning we will advance you new modules should you ever experience a failure with so covered modules you have purchased from us. Since February of 2002, ALL - 100% - of OWC memory has been serialized. To process an RMA, all we need is the serial number off your module's label. The only time we ask for proof of purchase is for memory prior to serialization or if we are attempting to assist someone who removed our 'warranty if void' label that has the serialization. We have numerous resellers of our memory products and whether you buy direct from us or a reseller, there is no hassle with our warranty.

I hope this information helps.

and one other note too.... Like the 667MHz memory, the new 800MHz has the same 5-5-5 Cas Latency. This is the Apple spec latency. Because the latencies are the same, you can use an 800MHz FB-DIMM with proper timing in a 667MHz Mac Pro, the program is fully backwards compatible. There is no performance benefit to doing so and you end up paying a higher cost (at least right now) for the 800MHz - but that is up to the customer in terms of future requirements and time value of money.
Larry O'Connor
Other World Computing

jdhayes117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 02:50 PM

Larry, what does the difference in cost for Netlist vs Qualified RAM buy you? What is the advantage to justify the cost?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2008, 05:44 PM

With OWC, they want that specific proof of purchase for that stick of RAM... to prove they sold it to you instead of someone else.
Not true, in my experience OWC has known what I bought and provided RMA for unopened RAM when I changed my plans 2 months later. All they needed was my name and email address to look up the purchase, which was paid by corporate credit card with totally different name.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 24, 2008 at 05:51 PM. )

OWCLarry
Other World Computing
Jan 24, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jdhayes117 View Post
Larry, what does the difference in cost for Netlist vs Qualified RAM buy you? What is the advantage to justify the cost?
Honestly - based on performance and reliability, there isn't. On the 667MHz product, the Netlist is Apple Certified and was used by Apple (mainly in exported Mac Pros) for factory memory installs. There are some customers who have to have what Apple exactly uses and the Netlist, while a premium over our standard qualified product is still a huge savings vs. the same purchased via Apple. In the case of the 800MHz, Netlist is going through the proess with Apple so I am told - but due to a defective shipment of PCBs they apparently received, they have not even shipped memory for these new 800MHZ Mac Pros. We just got informed of the additional Netlist delay last night like 11PM and are just about ready to mass send off notification to all our Netlist backlog customers.

FWIW - we sell our OWC Qualified product about 8 to 1 vs. all other options we offer. We sell quality product cause, anything else is problem for all parties and that's no good for any one.
Larry O'Connor
Other World Computing

jdhayes117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the honest explanation. Rob from Barefeats also seems pretty satisfied with it. I look forward to the arrival of my sticks tomorrow.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 11:05 PM

I've also had good experience with OWC. Just my 2¢.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 11:07 PM

I'm surprised nobody has said "Mac Pro is what?" yet!

(you don't use an apostrophe to make things plural)

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2008, 11:25 PM

I hate OWC (horrible experience with them a number of years ago), but I bought my Mac Pro RAM from them since they had it first. Seems to work fine.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2008, 03:19 AM

I'd not hesitate to buy OWC RAM. I've had nothing but positive experience with OWC and everything that they sell.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

yikes600
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2008, 04:03 AM

I'll vouch for OWC too... just bought some 800MHz RAM and had a good experience with them when I bought a couple G4 upgrades there years back. They're also sponsors of one of the best mac sites out there — XLR8YourMac (not affiliated with either one just giving props).

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I'd not hesitate to buy OWC RAM. I've had nothing but positive experience with OWC and everything that they sell.
I've had no issues with all my Crucial sticks over the past years.

An equal opportunity advertisement post.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 08:00 PM

OWC is my go to RAM supplier and has been for years. In fact, the times I've bought RAM elsewhere, I've regretted it, including NewEgg. YMMV, but I think they are a solid company have always support the platform. They also sponsor Xlr8yourmac.com, so I try to use the links on that site to buy from them.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 08:40 PM

The 800Mhz DDR2 memory chips have been used for a while on the desktop side of things; the AMB is what's limiting FB-DIMM supplies. I'm not sure whose modules OWC is reselling, but given the limited market some of the RAM chip manufacturers (there are only about 5 worldwide) may not be interested in developing the 4.8Ghz AMBs.

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2008, 10:21 PM

There are a few AMB manufacturers, all offer 4.8GHz variants, Only one is certified by Apple at this point and interestingly none are the major DRAM makers.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm surprised nobody has said "Mac Pro is what?" yet!

(you don't use an apostrophe to make things plural)
I thought about posting that.

The "MAC" is like a shouting media access control.

to the op: "Mac".

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2008, 11:38 PM

le Big Mac un Royale avec fromage.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by newtech View Post
There are a few AMB manufacturers, all offer 4.8GHz variants, Only one is certified by Apple at this point and interestingly none are the major DRAM makers.
Is Apple actually certifying any or are they just going with Intel's testing?

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2008, 12:10 AM

If I remember correctly it is intel's AMB that Apple certified and is presumed to be on all the FB-DIMMs that Apple is shipping. Other manufactures have AMBs that are functionally equivalent but not as yet certified by Apple.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2008, 07:47 AM

Looks like Crucial raised the price on the 2g to $319.00 this morning.
Sun Tzu

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2008, 12:33 PM

With OWC, they want that specific proof of purchase for that stick of RAM... to prove they sold it to you instead of someone else.
I'm shocked and appalled. What a horrible way to handle returns -- only wanting clients to return things they bought from you? Outrageous.

I buy from OWC because they're nice people who answer the phone if I have a problem, and they always fix it with all due haste, and a pleasant attitude.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

danman
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2008, 04:34 PM

I've purchased 8GB's so far from TransIntl with no problems. And they have the RAM in stock.

Mac Pro Two 2.8GHz Quad�Core Intel Xeon(8-Core) [Jan.2008]

Bigfoot
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2008, 04:54 PM

I called TransIntl the day before yesterday to check stock on the 8gb kit. They said they had it but order it online, the order will be processed faster. So I did. As soon as I processed the order I received an email with a Fedex tracking number. Had the ram (Ca to CT) the next morning at 11:45am. Doesn't get any better than that.
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

cutlassvillager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 08:57 PM

I've had a great experience with OWC as well. I've bought MANY things for all different computers (even PCs as well) and they have been great. A while ago my MacBook Pro was in for screen repair and apple ran a hardware test and said my RAM was bad. I e-mailed OWC a little worried (considering it was about a year after I bought the RAM from them) and they said all I had to do was send in the RAM and they'll send me the replacement no questions asked. The other option was that they would charge my credit card for the RAM and they would send it out right away, then take back the charge after they receive the broken RAM. I've bought RAM from them for an LC II, Performa 6300CD, Pismo Powerbook, Quicksilver G4, G3 iMac DVs, iBook G3 and G4 and a MacBook Pro and the only issue I have had is the one above. I have also bought PCI cards, graphic cards, processor upgrades, both internal and external hard drives and other miscellaneous computer equipment through them with no problems. They also include great instructions for most upgrades that may require instructions. I would not hesitate to buy from them. Also their prices seem to be about the cheapest for almost everything (even sometimes compared to eBay).

Just my $.02

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 04:19 AM

FYI... more searching tonight yielded some EDGE memory in stock.

Apple Mac Pro Mac Pro 2008 Dual Quad Core (MA970LL/A 8-Core) Memory Upgrades - 100% Compatible Apple Mac Pro Mac Pro 2008 Dual Quad Core (MA970LL/A 8-Core) RAM Memory

Generally good experience with EDGE... anyone else?

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2008, 04:21 AM

Also this from Mushkin:

PC2-6400 DDR2 FBDIMM - Mushkin Enhanced

But why they sell one stick alone too.. that I don't know...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2008, 12:21 PM

But why they sell one stick alone too.. that I don't know...
You can run the Intel 5400 chipset with just one FB-DIMM. Could be targeting the homebrew crowd.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2008, 12:22 PM

Crucial is showing a 7-10 day out of stock period starting the 28th until new DIMM's arrive for the 08 MP per my conversation with them yesterday.

My order was placed on the 21st.
Sun Tzu

towen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 10:12 PM

A couple days ago I was about to buy two 2GB FB-DIMMs from OWC, till I read the BareFeats article at < Memory Tests: "2008" Mac Pro > Has anybody checked the veracity of this?
If true, should I sell the factory installed DIMMs and plan on adding more pairs when needed, or when the price comes down.

Another related article at the BF site suggests that installing the 5300s only cuts performance by 4%. Comments?

PhotoMacUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 10:38 PM

I am so glad to see OWC here defending itself - along with all the other satisfied users. My experience with all their products has been first rate over many years and many Macs. I am glad it was clarified "why" you do not want to use them. It has nothing to do with the quality of their product but the procurement process and the way returns are handled. Perhaps you should rethink the way you buy RAM. It sounds like their new serialization process and advance replacement would be a huge advantage to such a large buyer of memory.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Me too. Very happy customer over the years.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2008, 12:59 AM

They have prices near OWC and they have then new 800MHz in stock! I bought from them for my 3.0 MP Quad and it works great! No issues! A lot cheaper than Crucial too!

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Crucial is showing a 7-10 day out of stock period starting the 28th until new DIMM's arrive for the 08 MP per my conversation with them yesterday.

My order was placed on the 21st.
Looks like they were off a bit. My memory shipped today. Quite a bit more than OWC. Time will tell.

240-pin DIMM
DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=5 • Fully Buffered • ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 72
Sun Tzu

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
I'm shocked and appalled. What a horrible way to handle returns -- only wanting clients to return things they bought from you? Outrageous.
Larry said it himself... it doesn't matter who sells or re-sells their memory, they can still help them out. Apparently... not everyone... but still. Apple doesn't require proof that you purchased the machine directly from them before they're willing to help you out with a warranty issue.

Originally Posted by PhotoMacUser View Post
I am so glad to see OWC here defending itself - along with all the other satisfied users. My experience with all their products has been first rate over many years and many Macs. I am glad it was clarified "why" you do not want to use them. It has nothing to do with the quality of their product but the procurement process and the way returns are handled. Perhaps you should rethink the way you buy RAM. It sounds like their new serialization process and advance replacement would be a huge advantage to such a large buyer of memory.
One purchase... one bad experience... what can I say?

You ever tried a new restaurant? When I try a new restaurant, and they disappoint me the first time... I rarely go back to it a second time.

Bogartte
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2008, 08:19 PM

Try Ramjet: RAMJET Inc. - High Performance Mac Memory

I buy all my ram from them. They are informative and up-to-date about specific ram, and I've never had a bad batch. 4G DDR2-800 kit for Mac Pro (2x 2Gig) $269 - but they say supplies are limited.

Bogo

Morf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2008, 06:39 PM

First of all, I just wanted to say that this community rocks.
And this is my first post

Secondly, trying to understand the barefeats article ... they are saying in order to get the best performance, you need to have all the same memory in ALL the slots? In other words would you get better performance of having 2GB x 4 or 1GB x 8?

My new Mac Pro (January 2008) is on the way. I just got the 1GB x 2 stock RAM and obviously want to upgrade. I'm looking to get 2GB x 4, but was wondering if there is a configuration that might be better?

Thanks in advance.

OWCLarry
Other World Computing
Feb 9, 2008, 09:39 AM

More memory = better system performance.

But - there are configs with better memory bandwidth... still - more ram trumps.

Best is 2GB x 8 or 4Gb x 8 in terms of bandwidth/memory throughput.

We will be publishing a detail of 15-16 different memory installed configs and the bandwidth of each next week with the custom utility Rob-Art used and graciously provided to us for our testing.
Larry O'Connor
Other World Computing

kretara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2008, 04:28 PM

Over the past few years I have dropped more than $2000 with OWC and have never had an issue that was not solved immediately. Overall, excellent products and customer service.

I would also put Smalldog on the list of great places to shop. I have given them almost $5000 since 99 and have received excellence with every purchase, question or return.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by kretara View Post
Over the past few years I have dropped more than $2000 with OWC and have never had an issue that was not solved immediately. Overall, excellent products and customer service.

I would also put Smalldog on the list of great places to shop. I have given them almost $5000 since 99 and have received excellence with every purchase, question or return.
Having used both OWC and Smalldog for many years I fully agree; both excellent.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules