Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Optimized SETI Multibeam Worker

Optimized SETI Multibeam Worker
halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2007, 02:07 AM

Hi all!

I thought I'd share an interesting excerpt from yesterday's SETI Tech News thread:
...we all tackled getting the new multibeam client out. So the Windows version has been released, in case you haven't noticed. A Linux version, and a working Mac version (should be recompiled eventually) are also available. This client will chew on classic work until multibeam data becomes available. Speaking of that, Jeff and I are working on the splitter now. We actually fired one up, and a few hundred multibeam workunits went out to the public, but we're still doing work on the automation backend and otherwise, so don't expect a flood of new work just yet. Besides, we really should get the formal press release in order before we dive all the way into the new data. In any event: Woo-hoo!!
So it's out in the wild! Has anyone received any multibeam-WUs and the associated stock worker on a Mac? If so, what - if any - issues did crop up? And the burning question many of us here probably have: will there be an optimized worker and when will it be available? We can't possibly relinquish the crown in the SETI Top Hosts list, can we?

Curiously,

Ron

zombie67
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 02:38 AM

If I understand correctly, there is no new, different app for MB. The same (new) app will crunch old and new WUs. So the new app is out there, but no new MB work for it yet.

alexkan has been silent on what this means to us, to date. I guess we can keep updating our app_info.xml files to keep telling S@H to think we have the MB app, and that *may* work. Dunno.

alexkan
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
If I understand correctly, there is no new, different app for MB. The same (new) app will crunch old and new WUs. So the new app is out there, but no new MB work for it yet.

alexkan has been silent on what this means to us, to date. I guess we can keep updating our app_info.xml files to keep telling S@H to think we have the MB app, and that *may* work. Dunno.
Last I checked, the analysis that the app does hasn't changed for MB, so in theory, current apps accompanied by modified app_info.xml files would produce valid science. However, the issue of credit seems to be a contentious one on the main boards right now, so please don't do this--I don't want to inadvertently start a credit war.

I'd prefer that you all switch back to running stock apps once the Mac MB app is released, if it hasn't been already. Yes, I realize that there's a rather large performance penalty incurred by doing so, but that way, there's also more pressure on me to hurry up and get v8 out the door.

zombie67
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 03:28 AM

Thanks alexkan for your response. I was getting worried!

I will remove the apps. One question:

Can we wait until S@H actually starts issuing MB tasks? And do you know when that will be?

gulliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2007, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by alexkan View Post
Last I checked, the analysis that the app does hasn't changed for MB, so in theory, current apps accompanied by modified app_info.xml files would produce valid science. However, the issue of credit seems to be a contentious one on the main boards right now, so please don't do this--I don't want to inadvertently start a credit war.

I'd prefer that you all switch back to running stock apps once the Mac MB app is released, if it hasn't been already. Yes, I realize that there's a rather large performance penalty incurred by doing so, but that way, there's also more pressure on me to hurry up and get v8 out the door.
alex,

any news on a new PPC worker?

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2007, 10:32 AM

I noticed that when running the 5.23 worker we are getting reamed by the 5.27 windows worker. We claim higher but they undercut us and of course we get less credit.

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by alexkan View Post
I'd prefer that you all switch back to running stock apps once the Mac MB app is released, if it hasn't been already.
Done. iMactel T7200 running 5.23.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by arkayn View Post
I noticed that when running the 5.23 worker we are getting reamed by the 5.27 windows worker. We claim higher but they undercut us and of course we get less credit.
I think "reamed" isn't the right word. The multiplier was lowered for v5.27. v5.23 is the only worker available for OSX and it has a higher multiplier.

The guys with Windoze farms see it differently, by it's not anyone's fault to use v5.23 on a Mac and over-claim (at least not until a version with the correct mulitplier is available).

QS

Forum Links
Forum Rules