Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > streaming libraries over LAN to iPhone/iPodTouch

streaming libraries over LAN to iPhone/iPodTouch
danviento
Jun 29, 2009, 05:03 PM

A workable solution to this would help me on both my home and work local area networks.

At work, I have a WiFi router set up to share my connection with my laptop and work PC. It also lets a buddy of mine use his iPhone to check his email, etc. and not rack up usage charges. He'd like to be able to listen to some of the music I have in my library, so I'm looking for a way for the iPhone and iPodTouch to, just as you would on another machine via iTunes, stream content to these two portable devices.

At home, my wife's iPodTouch could definitely benefit from some LAN streaming since we have a large video library stored on a NAS drive connected to my laptop's library. It would be the same method there.

I've seen plenty of press for services like SimplifyMedia that will stream your content over the internet to the iPhone/iPodTouch, but utilizing a third-party really shouldn't be necessary for this, not to mention that LAN connection speeds will be much faster and better for streaming.

Apple has already made it legit to stream your content between machines and the AppleTV, so why not which also run OSX? I'm certain my buddy and my wife would be willing to shell out a few bucks for an app. that would enable this in the ability, if need be, though this smells like something Apple wouldn't allow up if the ability would be added in a coming mobile OS update. Or is the functionality there, and I just can't find it?

I'm looking forward to any and all info you can put up here. Thanks!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 05:12 PM

You are right, technically, there shouldn't be any issues that would prevent that.

I guess Apple has some mystic reasons why they don't allow this. I dunno...

-t

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2009, 09:10 PM

Orb would probably be the way to go once they have a Mac client (PC & Linux only right now). Check the app store.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2009, 09:24 PM

use Airfoil. it can stream music from your machine to the iPhone/iPod touch as long as the app is open on the iphone. I've used it and it works as advertised

Rogue Amoeba | Select Your Operating System

Forum Links
Forum Rules