Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP -- Cannot startup into 9.1 from 10.0.3

HELP -- Cannot startup into 9.1 from 10.0.3
rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2001, 03:43 PM

I booted into OS X today, and now I can't get back to 9.1
The Startup disk preferences shows OS 9.1 and OS X volumes; The OS 9.1 folder is selected, but I can't click on either one, and the "lock" button also does not respond. Even though the OS 9.1 folder is selected, if I restart, it still loads OS X. I'm on a G4 466, 384MB ram, Non-partitioned HD.

Would appreciate some suggestions --Thanks!

rob5243  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2001, 08:41 PM

Also, OS X doesn't seem to be recognizing my passwords. I tried to adjust the sleep time in the energy saver preferences window. I "Click the lock to make changes" and it asks me for my administrator password, but when I put it in, it starts "authenticating" and never stops...until I close the window.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2001, 11:40 AM

When booting you Mac, hold down the option key immediately after pressing the power button. You will boot into an open firmware boot drive selection screen. After the mouse cursor changes from the watch face to the arrow, select a drive and click the straight arrow to boot to that drive.

rob5243  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2001, 12:44 PM

Jeff, when I go to the firmware screen, there's only one volume shown-OSX and 9.1 are not on separate partitions, so this method doesn't seem to work.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2001, 06:24 PM

It sounds like either your password got messed up or the authentication system in OS X got messed up. To fix the former, restart from your OS X CD, and choose "Reset password" from the Installer menu.
I abused my signature until she cried.

rob5243  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2001, 03:54 PM

I resetted my passwords, didn't help
What should I do????

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2001, 05:22 PM

Are you on a cable modem? If so, shut down the computer, unplug the cable modem, start up the computer, and plug the cable modem back in after you reach the login screen. This should solve the authentication problem which can be caused when the cable company assigns you an IP address (automatically of course) which OSX doesn't like. Hopefully it will be fixed in 10.1, but until then, you will have to remember to start up with your cable modem unplugged. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

rob5243  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2001, 06:57 PM

Yes..it worked! Thank you macmanx

Forum Links
Forum Rules