Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's Your Current Ride(Automobile)?

What's Your Current Ride(Automobile)? (Page 2)
Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 11:47 AM

A bronze 2001 Oldsmobile Alero:

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 16, 2003, 12:14 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 12:04 PM. )

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 12:20 PM

2000 nissan maxima se, 5spd

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
Bought a new 2003 Subaru Forester XS this month ... took it on a weeklong trip up in northern Minnesota, just got back last night. So far it's been a great car.
Hey congratulations on the new wheels!

I'm jealous of your up-north trip and I don't even know anything about it.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 12:49 PM

My car ( Lancia Delta HPE ):

And my Mad PS edit:

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2003, 01:04 PM

1999 Ford Explorer XLS, great since we have a baby and carry a lot of stuff. Wife drives a 2001 blue Jetta
There is no spoon

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 01:52 PM

1995 GMC Sonoma
4.3L V6
5 Speed

2000 Chevrolet Blazer
4.3L V6
Auto

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
They came that way factory. The R/Ts did. I am debating on taking them off as well.
Why? I am sure they will help you get to heaven twice as fast.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

andi*pandi
Jun 16, 2003, 03:33 PM

I drive the number one lesbian car, the Subaru Outback. Or rather, I drive my husband's Saturn Coupe while he drives the number one lesbian car, the Subaru Outback.

Heh.

techtrucker
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 04:35 PM

1995 Jeep Wrangler, rides like a skateboard!
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

dencamp
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 04:38 PM

http://www.saucony.com/

I even bought a house that is a 15 minute walk from work...

Two steps forward (six steps back)

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Please tell me you don't really have a racing stripe on it. I put one on my coffee table as they are so corney.
If you knew anything about cars you'd realize they came that way from the factory, and it isn't a racing stripe, it's racing STRIPES.

- Rob

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 05:32 PM

1992 Subaru SVX LSL (lsl= loaded, power everything leather, moonroof, etc)
H6 (230hp, 230ft/lbs, flat 6 engine like a porsche)
Slugomatic tranny
Yokohama A550Vs
Raceconcepts.net dimple drilled/slotted/nickel plated rotors
Raybestos Semi-Metallic pads
Mobil 1 oil, soon to be mobil 1 ATF also
148k and still running awesome

The light grey is all 'escaine' material, which is basically synthetic suede. Pretty sweet.

This car does 90mph like it's doing 35. It's weird.

- Ca$h

PS: If you're living in a cave and you still think I have a neon please reread this post.

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 05:35 PM

Almost forgot: Also this (I got it running, just need to fix a few things on it)

1968 Tatran 125

Czech made, lived in China til 1994, and now it's mine. It will soon be on the road.

- Ca$h

andi*pandi
Jun 16, 2003, 05:37 PM

at 148K, that subie is a baby. It'll keep going well past 250.

My sister has a 1990 DL that's nearing 300k.

my subie is pampered, and has just hit 100k!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 05:44 PM

Cash, on the SVX, what is the seatbelt doing across the doorway? I take it it's an American safety spec thing that all seatbelts have to move and try to strangle you when you open the door!

And why is that box (radar scanner?) stuck slap bang in the middle of your windscreen? I thought those things were meant to be somewhere subtle like low on the dashboard. Apart from that, nice car! Needs some bigger wheels though

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

andi*pandi
Jun 16, 2003, 05:49 PM

I'm not cash, but I'll answer for him because I'm feeling verbose and this is one small car fact I actually know. Unless you were being sarcastic, but I'll answer anyhow.

From ~1990-1993 or so, after pressure by safety groups, some car manufacturers adapted the seat belt to be mechanical. Of course only the shoulder belt could be mechanized, and you were supposed to still manually put on the lap belt.

After more studies that said that people weren't putting on the lap belt, and getting more injuries from only wearing the shoulder belt, plus people hated being forced to wear them, the manufacturers went back and started using regular seat belts.

my husband's 91 saturn has the damn auto-seat belts. I hate it, always getting stuff caught in it like coats and bags. Hate driving his car.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by NoMoreBanning68:

Mobil 1 oil, soon to be mobil 1 ATF also
Oil's always a good topic. Tell me about the difference between Mobil 1 and ATF, if you've got the time.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Hey! You're not so bad afterall.

Here's mine:

2002 Volvo V70 T5.
Very nice looking, daimoni. Thank you!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
I drive the number one lesbian car, the Subaru Outback. Or rather, I drive my husband's Saturn Coupe while he drives the number one lesbian car, the Subaru Outback.

Heh.
So your husband is a lesbian, andi? Meanwhile you drive his plastic coupe?

As for me:

Lately I've been driving a 91 Ford Ranger with a rebuilt engine that can hit 65 if I'm leaning forward and going downhill - and I'm a big guy, so leaning forward should mean something. Silver in color. Interior is bluish beneath the layer of dust. Haaachoo!

Wife has been driving our 92 Olds Achieva. Burgandy. Runs smooth, if not fast. Handles like a tank but with less armour.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:
Cash, on the SVX, what is the seatbelt doing across the doorway? I take it it's an American safety spec thing that all seatbelts have to move and try to strangle you when you open the door!

And why is that box (radar scanner?) stuck slap bang in the middle of your windscreen? I thought those things were meant to be somewhere subtle like low on the dashboard. Apart from that, nice car! Needs some bigger wheels though
92-95 (I believe) SVXs have automatic seatbelts. I used to hate automatic seatbelts, but in this car, they're not bad at all. THe front seat area is so roomy they don't strangle you at all, and they timed it right so they don't clamp down on you immeadiatly. They also remind me to buckle the lower belt, so I'd say in this car I'm actually more likely to buckle in, which is good. If all cars with automatic seatbelts had them done this well, they'd still be around.

And yeah, that's my fuzzbuster. I put it slap bang in the middle because that's where it's most effective, so it has a clear view forward, and rearward. You see people incorrectly mounting them as low as possible, and not only do the windshield wipers severely inhibit it's frontward view, the rearward view is usually non existant. Alternatly, if you mount it to high it can't see behind you, the rear sensor is instead looking at your ceiling. And yeah, I might get wheels for it eventually... a lot of other things to do first though.

- Ca$h

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
my husband's 91 saturn has the damn auto-seat belts. I hate it, always getting stuff caught in it like coats and bags. Hate driving his car.
Yeah, I'm sure thats where most people experienced auto seatbelts, but in the SVX, it's really not bad at all. I'm guessing it's just because the front seats are extremely roomy, so you don't feel strangled. The later SVXs (96-97) had manual ones, but honestly, if I had a choice between either i'd choose the auto ones. I buckle up more often now.

- Ca$h

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
Oil's always a good topic. Tell me about the difference between Mobil 1 and ATF, if you've got the time.
They're completley different things. OIL= what goes in your engine. ATF= What goes in you automatic transmission.

Right now for oil, I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic. The advantage to using synthetic is that the oil does not 'break down' like conventional oils. Imagine pouring some regular oil in one of your sauce pans, and turning your stove to high. The oil (eventually) would get chunky, and the thinner elements would seperate from the other parts creating this thin (acidic) and chunky mess. Blech. That's normal oil. Synthetic oil doesn't do that. WHICH MEANS, you don't have to change your oil as often. Some say synthetic also protects better, but I'm not sure on that. All I know is that synthetics stand up to heat a LOT better, and they last longer. Basically, the 2 reasons I even change the oil in my car are these:

1. Contaminants: A little bit of gas or coolant or something can get into the oil, and that's bad.
2. The filter gets full. You have to keep filtering the oil.

I change my oil about every 7-10k miles.

As for Mobil 1 ATF, it has the same benefits as Mobil 1 engine oil. It stands up to heat better, and doesn't break down.

- Ca$h

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Why? I am sure they will help you get to heaven twice as fast.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 07:18 PM

Yeah, I'm sure thats where most people experienced auto seatbelts, but in the SVX, it's really not bad at all. I'm guessing it's just because the front seats are extremely roomy, so you don't feel strangled. The later SVXs (96-97) had manual ones, but honestly, if I had a choice between either i'd choose the auto ones. I buckle up more often now.

- Ca$h
you mean folks in the States haven't yet got into the 'get in car, reach and put on belt' routine. I do it out of habit, I sometimes find myself putting on the belt when I am not even going to go anywhere (getting a CD out of the player, setting up the radio etc). I can't remember the last time I got in a car, and this wasn't peoples natural reaction.

My current car (staring in my current sig) is a Ford Puma

click for more info.

here is a movie (14MB TV clip) showing why I love this car.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jun 16, 2003 at 07:43 PM. )

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 07:33 PM

I dunno. I just forget sometimes. I'll be thinking about things, throw the key in the ignition, and start driving...then 10 blocks later put my belt one when I realized it wasn't.

We don't have a very good drivers education here, nor very good enforcement of traffic laws. Here in the states, turn signals are not needed, and people 'drive' in the passing lane, even if they're only going 5 over and blocking up traffic. It's pretty horrid.

- Ca$h

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 07:50 PM

This one has the evil seatbelts:

1992 Corrado SLC.
Mintex pads and rotors
Chip upgrade
Yokohama ES100's on 17" Fittipaldi Argus rims.
Still gets attention, still pretty darn quick.

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon.
Fantastic condition. Complete service records, has been babied it's whole life.
Hauls in multiple interpretations of the word.

I guess I have a thing for older silver cars....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 07:54 PM

Still got my beautiful 1993 Audi 80, I love that car:

Got some new badass alloy wheels and new tires, probably time for a new photo I guess...
( Last edited by D'Espice; Jun 16, 2003 at 08:11 PM. )
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
This one has the evil seatbelts:

1992 Corrado SLC.
Mintex pads and rotors
Chip upgrade
Yokohama ES100's on 17" Fittipaldi Argus rims.
Still gets attention, still pretty darn quick.
Hey, I remember when I ran into you on Pickney St. New rims now? Sweet car. Too bad I couldn't find one that fit my price range, and that wasn't beat to crap. Heh.

- Ca$h

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
you mean folks in the States haven't yet got into the 'get in car, reach and put on belt' routine. I do it out of habit, I sometimes find myself putting on the belt when I am not even going to go anywhere (getting a CD out of the player, setting up the radio etc). I can't remember the last time I got in a car, and this wasn't peoples natural reaction.
Nice looking car, too bad it isn't more powerful.

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2003, 09:39 PM

Here's my 2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5. A great car. Nothing beats AWD!

Check out the red calipers - sweet!

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
You might be interested in this. When I went through anti-terrorism evasive driving school back in 94, we had a variety of cars - Mercedes, BMW, Opels, and Audis -- on the skid pan to practice things like J-Turns. Out of all of them, we reckoned the Audi 80 was the best handling. Not the most exciting, perhaps, but the most predictable and well-balanced.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 16, 2003, 10:11 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 12:05 PM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by ajprice:

92-95, manufacturers had a choice. They could use an airbag and have manual seatbelts, or they could use automatic seatbelts and have no airbag.

It was an either-or proposition brought on by legislation. Since nearly every new car made has an airbag now, automatic seatbelts have disappeared in new cars.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2003, 10:28 PM

Right now for oil, I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic. The advantage to using synthetic is that the oil does not 'break down' like conventional oils. Imagine pouring some regular oil in one of your sauce pans, and turning your stove to high. The oil (eventually) would get chunky, and the thinner elements would seperate from the other parts creating this thin (acidic) and chunky mess. Blech. That's normal oil. Synthetic oil doesn't do that. WHICH MEANS, you don't have to change your oil as often. Some say synthetic also protects better, but I'm not sure on that. All I know is that synthetics stand up to heat a LOT better, and they last longer.
- Ca$h

Except that oil serves three functions. Oil's primary function is to lubricate.

Its secondary function is to cool. In water-cooled cars, this isn't as big a deal, but it's still a function, and part of the engineering requirements.

In an air-cooled engine, it's a must. The air and oil are the only things doing the cooling.

Therefore, if your synthetic oil is staying cooler, then it isn't drawing as much heat off the engine parts, meaning they're staying hotter. This is a bad thing.

Thermal breakdown is an excellent argument for the use of synthetics. However, one of the most critical and often overlooked functions of motor oil is ?trash dump? of the engine.

The water, soot and acids that are by-products of fuel combustion end up in the motor oil. ?This is the major source of particles that can form deposits in the engine.? For durability, regardless of synthetic or fossil oil, change it at the recommended intervals. The question becomes, does the thermal protection of synthetic oils justify the cost when you still have to change it at the same rate?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by pman68:
Here's my 2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5. A great car. Nothing beats AWD!
Except AWD with 230hp.

Heheh. Cool subie though.

- Ca$h

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
92-95, manufacturers had a choice. They could use an airbag and have manual seatbelts, or they could use automatic seatbelts and have no airbag.
But I have an airbag. Was it a dual airbag vs automatic seatbelt thing?

- Ca$h

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 16, 2003, 10:51 PM

Therefore, if your synthetic oil is staying cooler, then it isn't drawing as much heat off the engine parts, meaning they're staying hotter. This is a bad thing.

Thermal breakdown is an excellent argument for the use of synthetics. However, one of the most critical and often overlooked functions of motor oil is ?trash dump? of the engine.

The water, soot and acids that are by-products of fuel combustion end up in the motor oil. ?This is the major source of particles that can form deposits in the engine.? For durability, regardless of synthetic or fossil oil, change it at the recommended intervals. The question becomes, does the thermal protection of synthetic oils justify the cost when you still have to change it at the same rate?
I never said the oil is cooler. That would be bad. Engines are designed to run while quite warm, and if you cooled the oil significantly it would mess stuff up. I agree about the 'trash' dump thing, but that's what the oil filter is for. If you get a GOOD filter, it will last 10k. There's really no reason to change it more often, unless you like changing oil.

Anyway, here's a link you should read about aircooled engines and synthetics, and why you should use them:

http://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/2stroke.oil.html

- Ca$h

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2003, 11:03 PM

Now, Cadillac Sedan DeVille 1987, burgundy.
Also, Volvo 760 Turbo wagon, Silver.

Soon, these are going and Im getting my MINI Cooper S!

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 11:09 PM

Hey, I remember when I ran into you on Pickney St. New rims now? Sweet car. Too bad I couldn't find one that fit my price range, and that wasn't beat to crap. Heh.

- Ca$h
Yeah, the rims were this spring's addition. I like how they look, and they were a fair price since I bought them from a friend. I wouldn't mid if they were 16"s- the low profiles and 40mm drop make it ride like a stagecoach. The price was too good.... at least it handles great for my trouble.

I see your SVX from time to time.... it was on Johnson this AM.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
You are such a pimp.
Heh heh. Not my addition... previous owner did that. I'm kinda liking it tho. The privacy is cool, and I won't have to have one of those ugly roll down Winnie the Pooh shades when the kid arrives.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 11:16 PM

But I have an airbag. Was it a dual airbag vs automatic seatbelt thing?

- Ca$h
That might be it. My 92 Corrado has a driver's side airbag and automatic seatbelts. 93 Passat was the same, but my 95 Passat has dual airbags and normal seatbelts.

andi*pandi
Jun 17, 2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
So your husband is a lesbian, andi? Meanwhile you drive his plastic coupe?
that would explain his exwife! Hmm, but she drives a toyota...

Anyway, he drives the subaru because a baby carseat won't fit in the $%^& Saturn, and the daycare is at his work.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2003, 10:19 AM

They're completley different things. OIL= what goes in your engine. ATF= What goes in you automatic transmission.

Right now for oil, I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic. The advantage to using synthetic is that the oil does not 'break down' like conventional oils. Imagine pouring some regular oil in one of your sauce pans, and turning your stove to high. The oil (eventually) would get chunky, and the thinner elements would seperate from the other parts creating this thin (acidic) and chunky mess. Blech. That's normal oil. Synthetic oil doesn't do that. WHICH MEANS, you don't have to change your oil as often. Some say synthetic also protects better, but I'm not sure on that. All I know is that synthetics stand up to heat a LOT better, and they last longer. Basically, the 2 reasons I even change the oil in my car are these:

1. Contaminants: A little bit of gas or coolant or something can get into the oil, and that's bad.
2. The filter gets full. You have to keep filtering the oil.

I change my oil about every 7-10k miles.

As for Mobil 1 ATF, it has the same benefits as Mobil 1 engine oil. It stands up to heat better, and doesn't break down.

- Ca$h
My bad. I thought ATF might be some kind of Mobil oil formula I hadn't heard about yet. I'm running Mobil 1 right now -- there are suprisingly few oils that meet the VW specs, and I found Mobil 1 at my local Autozone.

Got a filter you like, or just a regular Fram?

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2003, 10:24 AM

The question becomes, does the thermal protection of synthetic oils justify the cost when you still have to change it at the same rate?
In my case the premium is worth it: an extra $70 / year and I'm using something closer to the manufacturer's spec rather than whatever's in the big barrell at the oil change place.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:

Got some new badass alloy wheels and new tires, probably time for a new photo I guess...
The snow scene is beautiful, it brings back fond memories of last winter. Now I miss it even more!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
The snow scene is beautiful, it brings back fond memories of last winter. Now I miss it even more!
Thanks, love it too. That was right outside of Munich...

SimeyTheLimey: That is indeed interesting, didn't know that. All I know is that I love this car and that it indeed has an amazing handling and is well-balanced. Actually, driving around is a lot of fun.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2003, 12:51 PM

I never said the oil is cooler. That would be bad. Engines are designed to run while quite warm, and if you cooled the oil significantly it would mess stuff up. I agree about the 'trash' dump thing, but that's what the oil filter is for. If you get a GOOD filter, it will last 10k. There's really no reason to change it more often, unless you like changing oil.

Anyway, here's a link you should read about aircooled engines and synthetics, and why you should use them:

http://www.scooterhelp.com/genmaintain/2stroke.oil.html

- Ca$h
I change my own oil every 6k or 6mo. whichever comes first.

The cars I drive don't have much for oil filters. The VW beetle has a screen over the oil pump pickup, much like you'd find in a window-screen for a house.

The 1962 Chevrolet uses a FRAM paper cartridge that inserts into the Chevrolet metal canister.

Follow your MFRs recommendations, but synthetics do have lower oil temps, which means they aren't cooling the engine as well. They aren't going to break down as much, but they don't exchange as much heat either. It's a real problem.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
My bad. I thought ATF might be some kind of Mobil oil formula I hadn't heard about yet. I'm running Mobil 1 right now -- there are suprisingly few oils that meet the VW specs, and I found Mobil 1 at my local Autozone.

Got a filter you like, or just a regular Fram?
Frams are good, Bosch is fine, Deutsch is also good if you want to spend the money.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2003, 12:54 PM

I take a ride daily in my dancing feet. I frequently adorn it with a pair of Caterpillar alloys, then some days, I go with the leisurely Vans alloys.

I've got my eyes on a wee BRG Triumph Spitfire. Not in need of car just yet as I live in the city, right next to the Underground. If I move out to the country I will have to though.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Forum Links
Forum Rules