Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's Your Current Ride(Automobile)?

What's Your Current Ride(Automobile)? (Page 5)
thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
You drive one of the most boring monotonous cars on the planet. Must be somewhat frustrating to park at a mall or something, come back outside, and realize there are approximately 500+ hondas in the parking lot.... civics... in silver.....

"Is this one mine? >wiggles key< Crap. Maybe this one is!"

- Ca$h
But nobody drives Neons, right? Its practically an exotic!
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
But nobody drives Neons, right? Its practically an exotic!
That's only part of it. I hate civics because they're everywhere, but I also hate how they completely lack torque, and handle like crap compared to a neon. Also, how many cars do you see in a parking lot that look like this:

- Ca$h

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by DesignerTerp:
Yeah I do that a lot ::shrug::
I like it. I got it for next to nothing. I'm not really interested in all that macho bull crap.
Have fun blending in.

Anyway, I prefer to ENJOY driving, not just 'getting from one point to another'.

- Ca$h

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2003, 05:48 PM

Have fun blending in.

Anyway, I prefer to ENJOY driving, not just 'getting from one point to another'.

- Ca$h
I do enjoy driving it. Thanks for the input.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 05:49 PM

That's only part of it. I hate civics because they're everywhere, but I also hate how they completely lack torque, and handle like crap compared to a neon. Also, how many cars do you see in a parking lot that look like this:

- Ca$h
I have yet to find a parking lot that looks like that.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 06:01 PM

Heh. You knew what I meant.

- Rob

fhoubi
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 07:12 PM

Frido, which beach is that, St.-Peter Ording?
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 07:25 PM

I mentioned my car on the first page, but finally found a picture...

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 07:36 PM

Yeah, those are neat cars. Too bad about the luggage space though. Plus, stupid girls think its a porsche! Go you!

- Rob

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 09:41 PM

You can just stuff a chevy small block in it when the original engine dies. I've seen a few volvos with 350s in them. It'd be fun to scare some mustangs with something that mundane looking.

- Rob
Yeah a friend of mine was going to do that to his 240 Sport Wagon, but he got a Caprice Classic LT1 instead, its an old Cop car, still has the cop rims, everyone around him goes like 5 under

Plus, stupid girls think its a porsche! Go you!

- Rob
Even better

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 10:00 PM

My car sucks so much that I this is the best image I could find for it that looks like it is this:

Oldsmobile, 1989 Ninety-Eight.

-Owl

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 10:11 PM

My favorite is the Skyline�

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 11:06 PM

double post
( Last edited by waxcrash; Aug 29, 2003 at 11:20 PM. )

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 11:38 PM

I already checked in this thread pages ago, but I thought I'd share a pic of my Corrado and 100 others- a record gathering for C's in North America.

Mine is the silver one on the left side front edge.

101 Corrados together is a unique sight.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
My car sucks so much that I this is the best image I could find for it that looks like it is this:

-Owl

we had a beige 88 Delta 88, damn that thing liked to cruise floated down the road, that 3800 is one heck of an engine. alas a snapped timing chain was her final deminse

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

permanent68
Banned
Aug 30, 2003, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:

-Owl
My friend used to have an 89 88 like that. It ruled. One time, we took off the rear wheels and put on my chargers Crager S/Ss that had BF goodrich drag radials 10" wide, and we put them on the EIGHTY EIGHT! nevermind that it was FWD, it looked tough! Then we used permanent markers and made 'stickers' on pieces of paper like MUGEN, NUESPEED, POWERED BY OLDSMOBILE! and we covered the whole back window with a huge "EIGHT EIGHT TYPE R" banner.

Then we went cruising on east wash and pissed off a TON of riceboys.

It ruled. I have a pic somehwere.

- Ca$h

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 01:43 AM

not mine but its the only pic I could find.
1998 Aurora (black)

frido:mac
Aug 30, 2003, 03:22 AM

Frido, which beach is that, St.-Peter Ording?
It is the beach in Fano, denmark...
And here�s a link to more Audi A2 pics:
http://homepage.mac.com/frido/Auto-B...otoAlbum9.html

Bye, Frido

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 10:43 AM

My friend used to have an 89 88 like that. It ruled. One time, we took off the rear wheels and put on my chargers Crager S/Ss that had BF goodrich drag radials 10" wide, and we put them on the EIGHTY EIGHT! nevermind that it was FWD, it looked tough! Then we used permanent markers and made 'stickers' on pieces of paper like MUGEN, NUESPEED, POWERED BY OLDSMOBILE! and we covered the whole back window with a huge "EIGHT EIGHT TYPE R" banner.

- Ca$h
There's a guy in Quebec that belongs to 'Club Neon Quebec' driving a old VW Fox in the winter. There's 'Fox Racing', 'V-Tech', 'NeuSpeed' and 'Type-R' painted with airbrush all over it..

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 12:24 PM

2000 Honda Accord 2.0i VTEC SE Executive. Silver, black leather interior, everything.
Automatic (not as common in the UK as in the US), but I'm commuting now so more convenient.
And it was a bargain.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2003, 05:16 PM

Yeah, those are neat cars. Too bad about the luggage space though. Plus, stupid girls think its a porsche! Go you!

- Rob
Cheers Rob, it is great to drive as well... mid engine, rear wheel drive etc. Not to quick, but amazing fun!

Unless it is raining... (can be a handful!)

As for luggage, hmm, you are right, it is not the best... however with the roof up it is not too bad as there is some space behind the head rests and rear window. Although, if you have to do an emergency stop you do risk decapitation!

Although I was best man at a wedding last week, and got my suit, extra clothes and stuff for 3 days, my Powerbook and camera gear, 4 top hats, and my G/F and her stuff in there for the journey! I guess when pressed, and if you don't mind some discomfort it can do a passable job on luggage!

Peace,

Marc

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2003, 05:14 AM

03 Civic Si in silver.

I know cash, no torque, handles like ass, silver civics are everywhere, etc...

I think it's a hoot to drive and it was a bargain. Statistics tell me I should get awesome reliability and superb resale value when I'm ready for the next one. I'm happy.
( Last edited by Paco500; Aug 31, 2003 at 05:29 AM. )

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
My favorite is the Skyline�

But... do you drive it ?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 04:10 PM

Bought that a couple of weeks ago, still working on it, will be done this wednesday (hopefully):

Yamaha XJ600 51J, 600ccm, 72hp

Gonna post more pictures of my new baby when I'm done fixing and cleaning it
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

permanent68
Banned
Aug 31, 2003, 05:44 PM

Nice. I'm a big fan of the older less INSANE bikes.... something about 'not killing yourself at 170mph' that just draws me to the lower powered ones. It's pretty cool lookin too!

- Rob

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 05:47 PM

- Ca$h

hahah

-Owl

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 11:18 PM

My phat wheelz

well, sort of.

���������������������
I want you to have my credit card number

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 31, 2003, 11:22 PM

A C U R A Vigor, 155k mi and running strong

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 31, 2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by todrain:

2003 Honda Accord EX Manual
How do you like that? Is it a V6? If I were in the market right now, I'd have a hard time picking between the V6 6speed manual Accord Coupe (240HP) or the Acura TSX 6speed (200hp). I like the TSX for style. I like the Accord for power, and being able to run 87 octane gas vs 93 of the TSX.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 31, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by passmaster16:

A C U R A Vigor, 155k mi and running strong
I just hit 157k on my subaru... it didn't even burn any oil on the trip to FL and back. Honda can kiss my ass.

- Rob

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 04:41 AM

Nice. I'm a big fan of the older less INSANE bikes.... something about 'not killing yourself at 170mph' that just draws me to the lower powered ones. It's pretty cool lookin too!

- Rob
Thanks I like it too, got it pretty cheap. It was worth something like 1500 Euro, I got it for 600 Euro
I'd love to have a Hayabusa or Ninja but not to drive fast... even though I live in Germany, I don't like driving fast on the Autobahn on my bike. It's too dangerous and frankly, boring as hell. I prefer winding country roads, preferably with some mountains around... that's why I consider it perfect to live in Munich - one hour ride and I'm in the Alps, best roads ever!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2003, 08:39 AM

2004 WRX...I love my car....have around 4500 miles on it, purchasing it after I totalled out mu 02 impreza rs...

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 02:25 PM

VW Rabbit 1984 convertible...

The day I bought it!

Joshua
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 04:43 PM

Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2003, 08:06 PM

Is it just me, or does "cash" seeth with jealousy everytime people talk about their cars? If he were really that secure with his neon, he wouldn't get so furious at people's choices of cars on the internet. I admit, though, i find it somewhat amusing

���������������������

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by vod[k]a:
Is it just me, or does "cash" seeth with jealousy everytime people talk about their cars? If he were really that secure with his neon, he wouldn't get so furious at people's choices of cars on the internet. I admit, though, i find it somewhat amusing
He's got a Subie now.. so your point is quite invalid!

PossumBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2003, 08:56 PM

yes, she is shiny and red.

/Sid

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Drizzt:
He's got a Subie now.. so your point is quite invalid!
that still doesn't explain why he lashes out the choices people make in regards to their car

���������������������

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2003, 09:07 PM

that still doesn't explain why he lashes out the choices people make in regards to their car
Of course not.. but I guess it's the same reason that Mac lovers lashes PC buyers..

I do drive a Neon.. and if I'd believe persons that never drove one, I'd be on my 3rd engine and I'd have paid 2 cars worth of reparations..

On the other side, I only paid reparations totaling 80$CAN for a 35000KM ride, and it's still going quite nice, where my gf paind 1600$ for he 2000 Mazda Proteg�.

He tries to moot down reputations..

permanent68
Banned
Sep 2, 2003, 01:48 AM

1. I don't drive a neon.
2. I'm not jealous, I'm quite content with my SVX. In fact, even if I was a multimillionare I'd still be driving an SVX in the winter and in rainy weather. For dry summer weather I'd prefer something lighter and faster.
3. I'm not furious at anyone.
4. I'm a car freak. I'm a car super freak. If you name a car I've probably thought about it, thought about the pros and cons of having one, and come to a final conclusion. Examples: I hate saturns. They're the most boring cars on the road, they have no passion or character, some have 2 valves per cylinder (archaic), they're actually just GM garbage.... I like neons... they're way underrated (both reliability wise and powerwise), they haul ass for cheap, they're reliable, they handle AWESOME, and they kick almost any honda's ass in when street racing, and they're dirt cheap. Cool. Mazda Protege5. Good looking. Good handling. Needs horsies. Toyota Echo: Hate it. Too tall. Too narrow. Stupid central gauge pod. etc etc the list goes on and on and on and on. I have a databank of all sorts of opinions relating to different cars.

- Ca$h

permanent68
Banned
Sep 2, 2003, 01:59 AM

I do drive a Neon.. and if I'd believe persons that never drove one, I'd be on my 3rd engine and I'd have paid 2 cars worth of reparations..

On the other side, I only paid reparations totaling 80$CAN for a 35000KM ride, and it's still going quite nice, where my gf paind 1600$ for he 2000 Mazda Proteg�.

He tries to moot down reputations..
Damn straight. Neons are extremely reliable cars. The interior leaves something to be desired, but other than that, powerful nimble little things that have a horrible reputation thanks to the stupid f*cks at consumer reports, and (also because of CR) have no resale value.

- Ca$h

PS: Neons used paper headgaskets until 1998... in 1998 they started using MLS gaskets, and the neon headgasket problem was officially solved...... BUUUTTTT, CR continued to call the neon 'unreliable' and 'avoid' until 2003, in which case they called it average. NEWSFLASH! THE ENGINE HAS NOT CHANGED IN FIVE YEARS YOU ****ING MORONS!!!!!! I hate consumer reports. :|

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 12:43 PM

I drive a Seat Cordoba 1.6 GLX.. pretty crappy, but got it FREE!! so I don't care.

PS. 500th post!! yey
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 12:52 PM

Damn straight. Neons are extremely reliable cars. The interior leaves something to be desired, but other than that, powerful nimble little things that have a horrible reputation thanks to the stupid f*cks at consumer reports, and (also because of CR) have no resale value.

- Ca$h

PS: Neons used paper headgaskets until 1998... in 1998 they started using MLS gaskets, and the neon headgasket problem was officially solved...... BUUUTTTT, CR continued to call the neon 'unreliable' and 'avoid' until 2003, in which case they called it average. NEWSFLASH! THE ENGINE HAS NOT CHANGED IN FIVE YEARS YOU ****ING MORONS!!!!!! I hate consumer reports. :|
What's the best time you got with your Neon? I got 15.4sec @ 91MPH last saturday..

permanent68
Banned
Sep 2, 2003, 04:09 PM

What's the best time you got with your Neon? I got 15.4sec @ 91MPH last saturday..
Not sure. I never took it to the track. It was a coupe with almost ZERO options though... it didnt' have A/C, rear window defrost, ABS, rear disc (the rear drums are lighter), and hte backseat was basically a padded 'board'. It weighed under 2400lbs, and I had the DOHC muffler.... other than that it was stock (drivetrain wise). I'd easily beat Honda Civic Sis, Integras, cavalier 2.4s, etc... I also beat a 3000GT, a stealth, an integra GSR, and quite a few other cars. I'm not bad at shifting though, so maybe that had something to do with it.

- Ca$h

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2003, 04:47 PM

- Ca$h

Consumer Reports reliability and repair reports on based on car owners. So you should be venting your spleen at all those thousands of Neon owners who got their car fixed and bitched about it over the years.

I got a Neon foisted on me by the rental agency recently. Brand spanking new with less than 5,000 miles. Quite possibly the chinsiest, rattle-iest, cheapest, underpowered, rickety bucket of junk I've driven in recent memory. I thought it would come apart at the seems every time it hit one of LA's famous pot-holes. If I had bought the car, I would have been telling a Consumer Reports pollster all kinds of nasty shyt about it too.

But at least you've seen the light enough to drive a Subie. I guess you can't be all bad.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Consumer Reports reliability and repair reports on based on car owners. So you should be venting your spleen at all those thousands of Neon owners who got their car fixed and bitched about it over the years.

I got a Neon foisted on me by the rental agency recently. Brand spanking new with less than 5,000 miles. Quite possibly the chinsiest, rattle-iest, cheapest, underpowered, rickety bucket of junk I've driven in recent memory. I thought it would come apart at the seems every time it hit one of LA's famous pot-holes. If I had bought the car, I would have been telling a Consumer Reports pollster all kinds of nasty shyt about it too.

But at least you've seen the light enough to drive a Subie. I guess you can't be all bad.
I'm driving my Neon in Quebec.. you now, the place with snow and stuff? Where in spring you'd better take your car off-road because of water and pot-holes? (In french it's called Nids-de-poule (chicken nest), but we call them nids-d'autruche (ostrich nest)). You must have driven a 1st automatic base model.. go try a Ex or R/T and come back

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2003, 09:05 PM

Gotta resurrect this thread with my ride (featuring "before adventure" and "after adventure")

BEFORE

AFTER

I went airborne half way through the 1 1/2 rolls. And that white crap is magnetic material so the gravel doesn't strip off my paint. Of course, so much for that now. Props to Subaru durability... I landed on the roof twice.

Keep the rubber side down!

signal68
Banned
Sep 10, 2003, 09:42 PM

Is it a good opportunity for me to say 'told you so' about rallying your daily driver?

LEARN FROM HIM EVERYONE! If you're going to rally, just get an 80s piece of ****!!!!

- Ca$h

PS: It looks like it's still driveable... maybe you could find a cheap subie and transplant the drivetrain into an older legacy or something

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2003, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by signal68:
Is it a good opportunity for me to say 'told you so' about rallying your daily driver?

LEARN FROM HIM EVERYONE! If you're going to rally, just get an 80s piece of ****!!!!
Yeah, you told me so, but I bought it to use it, so It will be reincarnated as a new '04, and I'll still have fun with it. Besides, it's too damn fun in a fast car. (Cash - check out the videos in the May 31 entry).

PS: It looks like it's still driveable... maybe you could find a cheap subie and transplant the drivetrain into an older legacy or something
I didn't even get a CEL when I started it up. It runs perfectly (after running it to burn some oil out), full boost, no suspension damage, no airbags deployed, it's straight. Only panel, roof, and glass damage. The salvage title was a steal. Time to pop the roof and add a cage.

Keep the rubber side down!

pman68
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2003, 10:22 PM

Here's my ride:

2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5

Forum Links
Forum Rules