Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 3ivx - Installed but QT7 unaware

3ivx - Installed but QT7 unaware
msuper69
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2011, 10:37 PM

I have an old Windows 95 CD of Gilda Radnor that I would really like to watch.

I installed 3ivx on SL but when I startup QT7, it appears that the 3ivx codec is not found as the video still only plays audio.

I've done a Spotlight search for 3ivx but it there is nothing found that looks like a codec file.

What gives?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I have an old Windows 95 CD of Gilda Radnor that I would really like to watch.

I installed 3ivx on SL but when I startup QT7, it appears that the 3ivx codec is not found as the video still only plays audio.

I've done a Spotlight search for 3ivx but it there is nothing found that looks like a codec file.

What gives?
3ivx? Really? Do you still use Internet Explorer 5? Try Perian at Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime� components. Outside Intel Indeo, Real Media, and WMV it's played EVERYTHING I've thrown at it.
( Last edited by King Bob On The Cob; Apr 7, 2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Homophones do not mean the same thing)

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
3ivx? Really? Do you still use Internet Explorer 5? Try Perian at Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime� components. Outside Intel Indeo, Real Media, and WMV it's played EVERYTHING I've through at it.
Same thing as with 3ivx. Only QT says it is missing a component required to play the file.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Same thing as with 3ivx. Only QT says it is missing a component required to play the file.
What is it's video codec? Open it in Quicktime X and hit Command-I.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
What is it's video codec? Open it in Quicktime X and hit Command-I.
format: 'i2'

P
Apr 7, 2011, 05:14 AM

i2 is not a known fourcc code. The closest I can find are i263, an obscure H.263 implementation, and IR21, an ancient version of the already very old Indeo codec. What does VLC say?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
i2 is not a known fourcc code. The closest I can find are i263, an obscure H.263 implementation, and IR21, an ancient version of the already very old Indeo codec. What does VLC say?
"No suitable decoder module
VLC does not support the audio or video format " ".
Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

I should have looked more closely at the packaging for the video. MovieCD is an ancient format that was only ever supported on Windows; never on the Mac OS (Classic nor OS X).

Heres what the packaging shows:

From what I've read, it looks like it might be viewable on the newer versions of Windows (and of course Windows 3.1/95 but I no longer have a PC with those old systems).

I might have to get a copy of Windows 7 and try running it in a virtual machine.

Again, I should have done a little more research before bothering my Macnn friends.

Thanks anyways!

P
Apr 8, 2011, 09:37 AM

Then the fourcc code should be MVI2. Some googling on that shows an MVI2 decoder here. Windows only, but it seems to run on XP at least. Probably runs inside VirtualBox.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules