Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Emulation Question

Emulation Question
mattchachu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2004, 08:48 PM

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with windows emulation and could offer any advice. I hate windows, but desperately want to run Half Life 2. I was looking into getting an emulator so that I could run the game. Is this even possible? What would you recomend. Any help would be great.

Thanks
-matt

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 09:11 PM

impossible sorry. Can't even run Half Life 1 under emulation, let alone 2. Your emulation options are either Virtual PC or QEMUx, search macupdate. Neither is that fast, but can you can get by for standard apps, games are a no go.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

mac freak
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2004, 01:55 PM

For the price of VPC + $100, you could get a low-end PC that'd run everything VPC can run...except much, much faster.
Be happy.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2004, 04:50 AM

I have a dual 1.8 G5 with a gig of RAM and some things run all right... but it generally isn't worth it. Games don't run, with the exception of really, really simple stuff (minesweeper, anyone?) Stay away from things with fast moving graphics or 3d, unless the graphics are only periodic and totally superfluous. Solitaire, okay. Party Poker, okay. Half-Life, no way. Definitely not HL2.

Graphics cards are not supported, except a very choice few (that are nigh useless with respect to todays games). Don't bother with games.

Forum Links
Forum Rules