Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Drag and drop master HD to slave?

Drag and drop master HD to slave?
imdipped
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 07:20 PM

I hope this is the appropriate forum.

I have a G4/400 PowerMac Gigabit Ethernet with a 20 Gig HD running OS 9.2.2. I just bought a PowerMac 5400/200 AIO (603e) with a 1.6 Gig IDE HD.

If I buy an 80 GB IDE HD and install in my G4 as a 2nd drive, can I just drag and drop my 20 Gig HD from the desktop to it after formatting, shut down, remove the 1st drive, replace it with the new 80 Gig drive (using the 1st drive�s connector) and start up again? Would I be good to go?

My idea is to replace the 1.6 Gig HD in my 5400/200 with the old 20 Gig, reformat it so I can run YDL with MOL (Mac OS 9.1). I want to use it to learn Perl, gawk and C.

Neither computer is adequate to run OS X satisfactorily, I need to have my own computer, my wife is used to OS 9, and we don�t use any of the "i" Apps. My wife can have the G4 with the large LCD and I would be happy with the AIO.

kiazer
Dec 6, 2004, 01:10 PM

Yes you should be able to with no issues ---

Install 80 gig
Drag the contents of your 20 gig to the 80 gig ( after formating of course )
go to the start up disk pref. and choose the new 80 gig and reboot.
Once booted and everything works fine shut down and remove the 20 gig --- set the jumper accordingly and reboot on your new 80 gig.

pretty easy

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 10:44 AM

May have to 'bless' the new Finder. Can't remember.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 01:36 PM

After you copy the old HD to the new, try booting to it before removing the old drive.

If it boots, you're good to go.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules