Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Memory - Best Pricing?

G5 Memory - Best Pricing?
Woody
Sep 18, 2003, 09:38 AM

Still waiting on my dual G5. In the meantime, I only got the standard 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) - 2x256. To upgrade to 1 gig, where is the best pricing for the additional memory?

Thanks
Woody

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2003, 09:53 AM

Always check www.ramseeker.com for best pricing on many Mac models.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 10:50 AM

I'm beginning to reconsider my original position on buying memory for the G5. Given that the largest memory part for it is not certain, but is at least 2GB, it might be more cost-effective to buy 512MB parts which can be replaced with larger parts later when their prices come down.

Thoughts?
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

MattiMattMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 04:21 PM

denim --

What you're saying sounds like it makes sense, but I really don't understand it!

Can you explain it in memory-for-dummies terms?

Are you saying that you would buy the lowest memory configuration from Apple, toss the RAM that comes with it for a pair of 512 MB sticks, and then wait for prices to come down for a third pair in the future?

TIA,

MattiMattMatt

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by MattiMattMatt:
Are you saying that you would buy the lowest memory configuration from Apple, toss the RAM that comes with it for a pair of 512 MB sticks, and then wait for prices to come down for a third pair in the future?
All I'm saying is that my original idea of eventually filling all 8 slots with 1G sticks doesn't make sense if the system can handle larger sticks and the 1G sticks are expensive.

For now, I think I'll add memory as pairs of 512G sticks until bigger sticks become cheaper, at which point I can, if I've no free slots left, replace 512G sticks with the bigger ones of whatever size. Or just add some of the bigger sticks. There are 8 slots for these things, after all.

Yow. I haven't seen that many memory slots since the IIci, and those were less flexible given that they had to be changed 4-at-a-time rather than the G5's 2-at-a-time.

Anyway, as bigger memory sticks come to be priced reasonably, I'll upgrade as needed, but for now I'll probably not use anything larger than 512M parts. I see no reason to toss the memory the system will come with, since there will be 6 more slots I can use to add to it, as far as I know. That's assuming a 1.8 or 2.0 box, of course. The 1.6 box only has 4 slots.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2003, 06:48 PM

I'm also still waiting on my Dual 2G...

I've bought it with the stock 512MB (2x256). I've got a PC here at home that has 2x256MB PC3200 that I will pull and pop into my G5 (and replace with an older spare 512MB PC2700 module I've got lying around at the moment). I also have an additional pair of Crucial 512MB PC3200 modules ($96 each) waiting patiently for the G5.

That'll bring me up to 2.0GB, filling 6 of 8 RAM slots (4x256 + 2x512). I think 2GB will hold me for a while! Though who knows... I thought 1GB was more than I'd ever use on my present machine, but now I find the computer slowly paging out to VM frequently. I almost always have multiple programs open and in use.

Magic Genie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 04:44 AM

I got 6 512's from Crucial for $91each.

Wishing I could afford the gig sticks right now but they're kinda overpriced.

That's me with my new G5.
Come see me and my fast computer at:
http://www.geniesongs.com/personal.html

turk.o
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 12:56 PM

i agree with denim on this one. my plan was to get 1gb dimms, two at a time, getting the first pair now, and then when the next rev came out i would quench my thrist by getting another pair, and so on until i had 6.5GBof ram and a fast g5. but the prices haven't come down like i thought they would, and i can't really justify to myslef spending so much more for slightly more sketchy ram (it seems like none of the major sellers are selling 1GB sticks yet) and more open slots. so i will just order 4 x 512 sticks, and hopefully by the time it comes for me to upgrade from 2.5GB of RAM to 4.5GB of RAM, the 1GB sticks will be more readily avaialable and reasonably priced. plus, if i still need more than 4.5GB of RAM (god help me ) after all my slots are full, I could just replace the two lame 256 sticks that come with the computer with 1GB sticks and have 6GB. when 6GBs isn't enough anymore, i figure it will be time for a new machine.

it may seem like i've thought about this too much, but what the hell else am i supposed to think about until my dual arrives? really, what!?! arghhhhh!

t.o

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Woody:
Still waiting on my dual G5. In the meantime, I only got the standard 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) - 2x256. To upgrade to 1 gig, where is the best pricing for the additional memory?

Thanks
Woody
Well, I can tell you the worst place to get memory--Apple. I bought my G5 1.6 at an Apple Store and in my frenzy to get it running with a decent amount of RAM, I bought two 512 MB 'kits' (2X256) for $200 each. Not until I got home did I realize that I could have bought a 1.8 for what I paid for a 1.6 plus the RAM. I'm not blaming Apple. I KNEW it would be cheaper elsewhere. I blame my own lack of impulse control.

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by turk.o:
it may seem like i've thought about this too much, but what the hell else am i supposed to think about until my dual arrives? really, what!?! arghhhhh!
That's why I'm thinking about it, too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules