Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 owners, how are you transferring your settings?

G5 owners, how are you transferring your settings?
rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:01 AM

New G5 owners!

Am I correct that the G5's at this point will only boot from a 10.2.7 install?

If so and you cannot simply boot the hard disk from your old G4, how are you transferring your user settings, mail, personal files etc, from your old machine to your new?

Would it be possible to put the disk from your old G4 in a firewire drive enclosure, boot your G5 normally and install 10.2.7 onto it all the while preserving your settings and program installs? You could then clone it back to an internal sata drive using carbon copy cloner.

Just curious

I just bought a demo G4 1.42dp and was able to remove the drive from my quicksilver and just pop it into my new machine, something I know would not work on a G5, even though according to barefeats there are pata/sata converters that will work on G5's.

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 12:26 PM

I networked my new G5 1.8 with my trusty old "Beige" G3, turned on file sharing, and copied everything via the Finder. It was slow, but I had time - I just set up a copy and went to bed, and in the morning voila!

I didn't bother to copy over settings, as I figure it's time to clean out the Preferences folder anyway.

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 02:08 PM

I used Firewire target mode and just transfered all my files. I set up a new user. I didn't want to carry over any baggage form my G4. My key-chain, bookmarks, iPhoto library and iTunes library/playlists were all transfered manually to preserve the playlists/playcounts etc. It's all working fine now.

-Jerry C.

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 09:07 PM

The data transfer of my Home folder could not have been easier. Here is what I did. I used Apple Backup V2 (beta) and backed up my Home directory to my external firewire drive. It backs up into a package called "username.backup". If u use the option "show package contents", one can see entire contents of the backed up Home folder.
Upon starting the new G5, I recreated identical Username and password (essential step).
Next, I connected the external firewire drive to the new G5; I then located the BACKUP APPLICATION preferences and dragged them to my (G5)preferences folder(Place them into :HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences).
Upon starting the Backup app, I was presented with the exact same configuration I had used on my old computer (because I had transferred the Preferences.)
I then chose option "restore from external device" and VOILA - my home folder transferred perfectly, with email, internet preferences, address book,network settings (make sure u give your G5 the SAME IP address as old Mac), calendars,iTunes music, etc. all intact!

I will add one important caveat: u MUST not transfer over following files:
1)~/Library/Preferences/ByHost folder
2)~/Library/Caches

The above 2 files are machine specific and will cause problems if relocated to new computer.

JudiS217
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 11:25 PM

If so and you cannot simply boot the hard disk from your old G4, how are you transferring your user settings, mail, personal files etc, from your old machine to your new?
I used Apple's new Backup 2.0 (part of .mac) to back everything up to my 80 GB external FW drive. Then I just downloaded and installed Backup 2.0 on the G5 and restored. :-) I didn't do applications, though and installed those again from original CD just to be cautious.

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 09:47 AM

My G5 isn't here yet, as I just ordered it last week, but I started planning this last June. I purchased a 200G Firewire drive at the end of June. It has a Users partition on it. I'll soon be moving my users from my current Users partition to the new one.

When the new machine comes, I'll point its Users folder at the Firewire drive's partition. Done.

The only problem then becomes that I'd really rather have the Users partition be on the internal drive. Guess I'll do that at some point, probably when I do the Panther install.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Hydra:
I used Firewire target mode and just transfered all my files.
What is Firewire target mode? Was that the mode that used all of the fans which made a loud whistle? I was planning on holding on to my Dual 800 until my Dual 2 comes in to xfer all of my files via a simple network, but is this not possible with the 10.2.7 and 10.2.6? If it's possible, could you please run me through the process of doing it? I've never setup a network in X before; only 9 for a few LAN games (which was years ago).

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 12:07 PM

"What is Firewire target mode? "
1. Connect the two Macs with 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. Mac sure your Dual 800 Mac is powered on and the G5 is off.
2. Reboot new Mac(G5) holding down the "T" key. You should see a FireWire symbol moving around the screen.
3. The new Mac(G5) hard drive should be mounted on the Dual 800 Mac desktop as if it were a FireWire hard drive .

I have seen many posting of new G5 owners transferring their data in this manner.
( Last edited by laurenr; Sep 24, 2003 at 03:49 PM. )

Magic Genie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:04 AM

Can you use the Backup program if ou don't have .mac?

CLick to see 150 pics of me opening my new G5 and maxing out the ram to make you laugh or cry.

Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by laurenr:
I have seen many posting of new G5 owners transferring their data in this manner.
Wow! That's *very* cool and sounds a sinch to set up. So, all I need to transfer my files is a same-sided firewire cable and I'm ready to go? I was planning on actually using my lil hub and cables to xfer my files. Can someone link me up to a same-sided firewire cable? I don't recall seeing one. The only ones I have are my iPod and Dig camera firewire cables.

Edit: I just asked a friend about this and he said I could just use y iPod cable. I forgot it's a same-sided one. Thanks a *bunch* for this xfering tip!

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 07:23 PM

Foxdog - go for it - u won't believe how smooth your data transfer will be.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 30, 2003, 07:52 PM

Firewire target mode. I did it by hand rather then using carbon copy cloner as I don't want to import any junk.

"Hello, what have we here?

rhogue islander  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 08:23 PM

Here's what I ended up doing, although I don't know how koscher it is, but so far it works just fine and my system is fully restored and operational.

I added a second internal disk and after booting from the OEM hard drive, used carbon copy cloner to clone my 10.2.8 install in its entirety from my external firewire drive to the new internal hard disk.

Once completed, I inserted the Software Restore DVD that came with my G5 and chose to install 10.2.7 over 10.2.8 using the 'archive and install' option to retain my user settings and programs.

Perhaps not the best way but it seems to have worked quite well

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2003, 12:14 PM

I just transferred everything from my G4 to my 1.8 G5 using an ethernet cable. And isn't this going to be faster than Firewire disk mode given the gigabit ethernet ports? And it's easy. Rendezvous took care of everything except plugging in the cable

kmare

ourisman
Oct 6, 2003, 08:11 PM

I just bought a Dual G5 from the Apple Store in Emeryville, CA. Buying Apple Care gets an Apple Store Pro Card which, in turn, gets a FREE data transfer.

So, I had them transfer all of the data from my iBook to the new G5 while I went and had lunch.

Typically, however, they won't do it while you wait. I called at 10 a.m. this morning, inquired if they had a dualie in stock (they had one), and asked if I bought one this morning, they'd do the transfer while I was there. Fortunately I was talking with the manager ... and he got a sale while I got my data transferred.

Forum Links
Forum Rules