Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Walked in to an Apple Store, came home with a Dual G5

Walked in to an Apple Store, came home with a Dual G5
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 08:53 AM

I've just returned from the Apple Store in Novi, MI....

I was browsing thru the mall with my wife, and we walked in to the Apple Store so I could show her what the G5's look like (since I have an order via apple.com with about a 3 week wait). Just for fun, I asked if they had any dual G5's (expecting the answer to be "no," but was hoping to pin down some kind of delivery date). My Online order is listed as OOB 10/16.

Anyway, the sales guy's answer was, "Yes. We got our first shipment in this afternoon. Do you want one?" My jaw hit the floor. 10 minutes later, and he's helping me load it into my car.

I guess the flow is starting to pick up.

Now to cancel my online order

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2003, 08:55 AM

Wow, congrats! This is typical of Apple, but at least some units are moving.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

denim
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Anyway, the sales guy's answer was, "Yes. We got our first shipment in this afternoon. Do you want one?" My jaw hit the floor. 10 minutes later, and he's helping me load it into my car.
Did you have any BTO items, or is the system just "stock"?
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

tikki
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 10:24 AM

I hope to god Keystone gets them in this weekend, so I can head over and pick it up.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 10:35 AM

I've just returned from the Apple Store in Novi, MI....

I was browsing thru the mall with my wife, and we walked in to the Apple Store so I could show her what the G5's look like (since I have an order via apple.com with about a 3 week wait). Just for fun, I asked if they had any dual G5's (expecting the answer to be "no," but was hoping to pin down some kind of delivery date). My Online order is listed as OOB 10/16.

I guess the flow is starting to pick up.

I'm 10 mins from the Novi store. Do they have any units with the 9800 Pro, or is everything a standard config?

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 11:27 AM

I just ordered my Dual G5 yesterday (800-MY-Apple) and was told the standard 3 weeks expected ship date on just a default configuration Dual G5. I also put myself on a "call" list at the Cincinati Apple store. If they call me before my G5 ships, I don't know what I'm going to do. =p

Also, I'm pretty sure the walk in Apple Stores only carry the default config models.

SF_VR6
Sep 25, 2003, 12:14 PM

When u cancel you order you should come off as displeased with the whole ordering process and even mention that some people are just walking into stores to purchase a machine that you ordered so long ago.

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 03:32 PM

The unit I bought at the mall Apple Store is a stock-only config. They can add RAM or AirPort Extreme if you want, but do not have the graphics card or hard drive options. I didn't ask about Bluetooth (as I really don't have a use for it at the moment).

I'm a little disappointed I didn't simply wait for the unit I BTO'd (stock + Radeon 9800), but to be honest the graphics card upgrade was simply for games, and I could buy a whole lot of games for my Playstation (which I rarely use anyway) for the extra $300 - or another 2 Gigs of RAM. The 9600 is fast enough for casual gaming (and it doesn't have a fan = quieter).

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by SF_VR6:
When u cancel you order you should come off as displeased with the whole ordering process and even mention that some people are just walking into stores to purchase a machine that you ordered so long ago.
The Apple Stores ordered their machines long before you did. Just because Apple takes orders direct does not mean they should neglect their retail channels (including their own).
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 01:26 PM

Well, it happened! On Friday, just three days after I ordered my Dual through 1-800-my-apple, the Cincinnati Apple store called me to tell me they had a Dual G5 waiting for me if I wanted it!

So, I called Apple and canceled my order and then drove 200 miles as fast as I can to the store. It's the closest one to me. I made it there just 10 minutes before the closed! The guy who helped me (Chris) actually stayed 15 minutes after the store closed to make sure I got my Dual G5. Awesome service!

I then drove three hours home in a thunderstorm and am now the proud owner of the fastest Mac ever.

BTW, when I originally ordered my dual G5 by calling the 800 number, I put it on the six months same as cash. By working with Apple and the bank they used, I was able to use the same account at the Apple store to get the same as cash deal. Just in case anyone plans on doing something similar.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
The Apple Stores ordered their machines long before you did. Just because Apple takes orders direct does not mean they should neglect their retail channels (including their own).
Maybe they should be more realistic with their ship dates and not announce products prematurely, then?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2003, 03:30 PM

Screw the Apple Store, they have them in stock in just about every Mac store in Toronto.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2003, 05:02 PM

There is nothing wrong with announcing a product well in advance of it shipping, heck people complain all the time because Apple is so secretive. Then Apple announces a product months in advance and people complain again, they can't win.

They could do a better job with ship dates, but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Maybe they should be more realistic with their ship dates and not announce products prematurely, then?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
Well, it happened! On Friday, just three days after I ordered my Dual through 1-800-my-apple, the Cincinnati Apple store called me to tell me they had a Dual G5 waiting for me if I wanted it!

So, I called Apple and canceled my order and then drove 200 miles as fast as I can to the store. It's the closest one to me. I made it there just 10 minutes before the closed! The guy who helped me (Chris) actually stayed 15 minutes after the store closed to make sure I got my Dual G5. Awesome service!

I then drove three hours home in a thunderstorm and am now the proud owner of the fastest Mac ever.

BTW, when I originally ordered my dual G5 by calling the 800 number, I put it on the six months same as cash. By working with Apple and the bank they used, I was able to use the same account at the Apple store to get the same as cash deal. Just in case anyone plans on doing something similar.
Great story! Reminds me of the first time I purchased a home theater system. Ended up driving several hundred miles during a hurricane... pounding rain... insane wind... and when I got home after a whole day's excursion picking up speakers in one state and components in another, I set up my first ever dolby digital 5.1 surround sound system.

I think I know how you feel... the journey and the serendipity of arriving at the Apple Store right before closing sort of made you feel like you not only earned it but also like you were destined to have that particular one.

Rock on with that terrific machine!

jrod7350
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 08:45 PM

Hey, I was ordering online my dual G5, and instead I went over to my Richmond Apple Store and got a dual G5 in stock. I'm kind of dissapointed that it's talking so long for Apple to ship these things when the Apple Stores now have them in stock and it's pretty instantaneous.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:

I was @ Cinci on Friday just looking around, and what seemed to be a rumor site member was doing a bad job grilling an employee about new displays....was that you? JK, Anyway, I was the kid in the white shirt hanging around the PowerBooks...if you saw me let me know.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

GeoMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by Mister Elf:
I was @ Cinci on Friday just looking around, and what seemed to be a rumor site member was doing a bad job grilling an employee about new displays....was that you? JK, Anyway, I was the kid in the white shirt hanging around the PowerBooks...if you saw me let me know.
oh, so you're the kid with a white t-shirt? I think we may have crossed paths before, but before now, I wasn't sure...
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30
GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2003, 03:47 AM

It's funny... now that I have my dualie, I've received calls from the other Apple Store in my area to tell me that they now have Dual 2.0's in stock (I had been on their wait list).

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Mister Elf:
.. grilling an employee about new displays....was that you? ... if you saw me let me know.
Heh, no that wasn't me. But I did see a guy in a white shirt who was with another guy. They were buying a Powerbook and the other guy kept making the joke that he was buying the Powerbook just to get the free $99 printer. =)

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 11:11 AM

I am going with my friend to the Indy Apple Store (keystone).

He called on Friday and asked them to reserve a dual for him. They called him back on Saturday and we are picking it up today at noon.

Only wish it were mine.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 05:04 PM

I just got one at the Albany store. They have one on display too. I'll be canceling my CFO order tomorrow.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
I am going with my friend to the Indy Apple Store (keystone).

He called on Friday and asked them to reserve a dual for him. They called him back on Saturday and we are picking it up today at noon.

Only wish it were mine.
Just a minor update:
We didn't buy one at the apple store. The 250GB HD for only $112 was too good to pass up. SO, we just ordered one CTO from the online store.

Should be here in a week.

Only wish it were mine.

tikki
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 09:44 AM

I got mine at Keystone last night. I love it.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Forum Links
Forum Rules