Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help! Hanging G3 driving me nuts!!!

Help! Hanging G3 driving me nuts!!!
jwblase
Senior User
Oct 4, 2003, 12:36 PM

I just can't figure this one out. My B/W Rev 2 G3 400 mhz is hanging. Not kernal panicking, not shutting down, just hanging. If iTunes is playing, then the last 1/4 second of the song that was playing repeats, and all responsiveness dies.

I've replaced several RAM modules, and can't believe that they're all bad. Could there be another explanation? I've reformatted the drives (the stock 6 GB and an additional 55GB drive) with a low-level format, and it's still happening from time to time.

What else could possibly be causing this? Bad RAM slots on the motherboard? Dying processor? Alien invasion? I'm going crazy here.

Oh, by the way: Before anyone bothers to say, "You putz, go out and buy a G4/G5!" my reply is: I would love to have a dual G5, however, I have no money whatsoever, and buying a new machine is not an option at all. My G3 works for everything I've ever needed out of it, and I love it. I just can't figure out what's causing its sickness.
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 12:56 PM

I understand your frustration, a similar problem happened to my wife's B&W G3 450.

It would just freeze, never kernel panic. It happened randomly and it started to happen more and more. I tried different RAM, reformatting the hard drives, disconnecting any USB products, I ran hardware tests, all this with no luck.

Finally we had the opportunity to try a different processor, which solved the problem! So I then bought a Sonnet Encore ZIF G4 500 processor and the Blue and White has been trouble free since!!!

Hope this helps!

jwblase  (op)
Senior User
Oct 4, 2003, 06:45 PM

Damn... I hope my processor isn't shot.. That'll mean that I'll have to shell out for a new one.

Is there any way to test if it *is* the processor as opposed to any other motherboard parts?

JB
-The Doctor

booboo
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 08:18 PM

Can you just create an new User account and see if the problem is solved.

If it is solved, I'd point the finger at some corrupt preference files in your User/Library files. Sadly, OS X is far from immune to this.

jwblase  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 09:18 PM

Been there, done that, no change. Unless something keeps corrupting my pref files, I don't think that that's the problem.

Could ventilation be an issue here? If the fans aren't pulling enough air for the processor to cool properly, could it be overheating? How will I know? Is there a temperature sensing software for the B/W? I thought those only worked for the G4s.

JB
-The Doctor

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2003, 11:19 PM

Try throwin in a temp drive and putting an OS on it and see if it still happens. You could reset the PRAM, or the NVRAM. ummm, there werent any Hardware Test CD's back then..but Micromat's Tech Tool tests most functions of your macie, including processor.

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 10:51 PM

I have a blue and white too. Did you happen to install a new video card? I just bought a "new" G4 450 (so im only 4 years behind the curve instead of 5) and i would be willing to send you my g3 processor as well as the G4 ZIF that is currently in it, so that you could troubleshoot. It does sorta sound like it is overheating. That is exactly what my machine would do when i tried overclocking it.

Let me know if you want to borrow the parts (you have to return them though because im selling my B+W very soon)

static @ polishoperative.com

jwblase  (op)
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 11:14 PM

I'm not overclocking or anything, and I did install a Radeon 7000 PCI in the 66mhz slot. Might that have something to do with it? I've not read anything on the Radeon causing heat issues in the B/W.

Just out of curiosity, what might cause my processor to go *biff*? Heat? Age? Alien Invasion?

Is there anything I can do to check it out? I ran a TechTool test awhile back, and the processor ran a clean test, but then again, I don't know if it's an on-and-off again issue, or just a FUBARed processor.

JB
-The Doctor

drHo
Oct 7, 2003, 01:02 AM

i had a similar problem with my g3 450 awhile back. the problem was bad ram. i didnt know it was bad ram until i ran Tech tool pro under os9. changed the ram and voila! has been troublke free since osx 10.1.. do you have your stock heatsink on the processor? try puting on a pentium I fan on it. i did just for the heck of it so i dunno
" pc's feel cheap like a dirty whore..."

denim
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by jwblase:
Just out of curiosity, what might cause my processor to go *biff*? Heat? Age? Alien Invasion?
If it's random like that, I'd suspect heat.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules