Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Supermarket burned in Paraguay

Supermarket burned in Paraguay
Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2004, 02:20 PM

So a fire broke out in a supermarket in Paraguay, and what did the owner do? He ordered the emergency exits to be locked, so that nobody flees without paying. Result was that more than 300 died.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2004, 04:12 PM

D'oh!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2004, 04:21 PM

smooth move, that sucks...i bet that guy feels like ****...if he didn't die in the fire that is.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2004, 04:37 PM

He didn't die. According to BBC News he denies that he ordered the exits to be locked.

Witnesses have said that people had to escape through the windows because the doors within the centre had been deliberately closed to prevent people leaving without paying.

One survivor told reporters: "They closed the door in our face."

The shopping centre owner, who is being questioned by police, told local television that he did not believe he was "the least bit to blame".
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 06:31 PM

464 died. A security person admitted they locked the doors to prevent looting (according to SPIEGEL).

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 07:26 PM

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 07:45 PM

that some ****ed up **** right there.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2004, 09:04 PM

It's just as much the fault of the idiotic security guards as it is the owner of the store...who in their right mind would listen to their boss give such a stupid inhumane order and actually obey it in a situation like that?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2004, 11:49 AM

That is truly a very sad situation. If true he will have to live with what he has done.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2004, 12:02 PM

The owner (front right) and his son (front left).

Whoever had this idea, the idea to close the emergency exits during an emergency must have been the worst idea ever.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

That picture is a comedy lolocaust.

Forum Links
Forum Rules