Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP whine - which models were affected?

MBP whine - which models were affected?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 02:39 PM

Hi

Need to buy a new MBP for work. Have my eye on this one which Jigsaw are selling off -

http://www.jigsaw24.com/proddesc.asp?ITEM=MA600BA

I can't find info about which models were affected by the whine/heat issues - was this one of them? If so, may pay more for the current C2D.

Thanks

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 04:17 PM

I think few of the 15" MBP's had the noise, not all.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 04:26 PM

Yeah any of the Core Duos could have the whine issue, although it was the particularly the early models which were worst affected. Heat is not so much of a problem with the latest firmware updates and a copy of smcFanControl, but the C2Ds are still better.

Since an Apple refurb 2.16 C2D is just £200 more in the UK, might be worth the extra. None of those issues plus more HD and RAM.

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 04:48 PM

Hmmm. May opt for the newer machine if there is a strong chance the 2Ghz model here is affected. I'm buying through work so unfortunately, a refurb isn't an option.

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 11:07 PM

I'd go with the C2D, are you getting a discount since you are getting them through work?

Kurlon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 03:47 PM

My 15" 1.83ghz MBP had it's mainboard replaced while it was in getting new fans. Had cpu whine before, and it'd developing it again... I'm kinda hoping Apple revs the mainboard again or will up me to a C2D the next time I bring it in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules