Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Bike. Old skül 1988 Peugeot Triathalon

New Bike. Old skül 1988 Peugeot Triathalon (Page 2)
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 13, 2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by euphras View Post
I can´t believe, you paid 250 bucks for a twenty* years old bike. Fifty, up to eighty $ seems justified. But anyways, every kilometre done by bike rather than a car is worth it.

*as indicated by Biopace cranks
You obviously don't know much about bikes. Do you get yours at walmart? Because $50 will net you a used crappy walmart bike, if that.

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
You obviously don't know much about bikes.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 13, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by nostalgiaCa$h View Post
I know, right? All it takes is a little googling and you can find lots pix of bikes like mine.

Hey, I just added some fenders and rewrapped the handlebars to be less "fruity." Sweet, eh?

Or you just googled "1988 Peugeot Triathlon" and pasted a picture you found from Google Image Search.

The pic you posted was taken in 2006 from some dude who sells bikes:

(sold) 1988 Peugeot Triathlon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

PS: Your baby is still ugly.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 13, 2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by euphras View Post
It was an $800+ bike in 1988. Translate that to today's dollars. Everything works. And you think it should be worth $50? You are insane. My roommate has worked at a bike shop for over a decade, and even he said it was a nice price given the caliber of the frame, it's the second tier from the top model they offered. Please post pics of some sweet $50 bikes, or STFU since you're wrong. I'll be waiting.

OreoCookie
Mar 13, 2012, 01:19 PM

It was an $800+ bike in 1988. Translate that to today's dollars. Everything works. And you think it should be worth $50? You are insane.
I'm sorry, but I've got to agree you paid too much (although I'm not saying it's worth $50 either). A while back, I also got a used race bike for 100 €, although it was newer (~ 10 years old) and also cost ~€1000 new. Perhaps if the bike you got is considered a collectible (i. e. it hasn't been used much and is in very good condition), people are willing to pay more. But if you just want to ride, I'd rather go for a younger bike. After so many thousand kilometers, a lot of parts need to be replaced (just within the last 12 months, I had the sprockets, two chain rings, front derailleur, one trigger and lots of small stuff replaced on my bike due to wear). If the bike has been used, a lot of parts may need to be replaced. And getting parts of 20 year-old bikes isn't exactly easy.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 13, 2012, 01:50 PM

Like I said. My roommate works at a bike shop, and has for over a decade. I trust his judgement over yours, sorry. He deals with bikes on a day to day basis. Also, it needed nothing other than tires. Cleaned it up and it works great.

nostalgiaCa$h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2012, 02:04 PM

Or you just googled "1988 Peugeot Triathlon" and pasted a picture you found from Google Image Search.
O RLY? WOOOOOOSH.

Dumb@ss.

anyone who wants to be me, can be me.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2012, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Folks, giving advice about what to do NOW about a bike the poster bought LAST YEAR, and has apparently been using for all this time isn't very useful.
Are you really telling people to stop posting in this dying forum? Come on man.

Take what you can get, you're out of a job otherwise.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by nostalgiaCa$h View Post
O RLY?
PWNED.

-t

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 16, 2012, 03:35 AM

Put another 40 miles on yesterday.

Forum Links