Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pros vs. Mac Posers

Mac Pros vs. Mac Posers
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2004, 09:21 PM

Mac Pro:
There's a new iMac? Have you seen any benchmarks? What are the specs?

Mac Posers:
OMG!!! That thing is soooo ugly! What's up with that white bezel? Are the Apple engineers on crack? This machine will totally throw off my Feng Shui living room design. Earth to Apple ... why don't you stop buying Steve Jobs Gulfstream jets and use that money to pay somebody to replace Jonathan Ive!

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 10:04 PM

I always wonder how many people who post here actually need a Mac. Seriously I think most of them just use Macs and frequent Mac forums because they have no life.

It's fun to actually run into someone in real life that uses a Mac and talks about the joys of actually using one.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 10:25 PM

I feel that apple didn't do a very good job designing the imac, in fact it looks very common for a computer. It's like when mercedes started using plastic bumpers on their $80,000 cars.

HOWEVER...

It's cheaper. $1299 for the low end but it has a 17" screen, the processor is a decent offering too HOWEVER the graphics chip sucks, and I really think there are better ways to compensate/design around that 2.5"ish plastic on the front that they just didn't look into.

Oh well, it's done.. but considering the prices of graphics chips, and the fact that the lowly radeon 9200 in the iBook which costs less can outrun a friggin Geforce 5200FX "Ultra" <-- probably a regular 5200.. is just pathetic... the fact they decided to stick a slot loader in a home desktop makes me laugh too -- can't wait to hear about 5 year olds jamming 2" CDs into it.

Granted the whole mac pro vs mac poser thing, I think someone here is being a little too zealous and deciding to insult people to justify it. In general my machine's load averages tend to be well above 0.5 (if you know what a load average is), and that's NOT counting games or distributed computing

Oh yeah I forgot, I disagree about apple being the best computer company in the world. Frankly I think their offerings could be JUST a little bit better and cover a *MUCH* larger target audience, but some people are just too stubborn to understand that. The facts are there that the g4 imac was the most expensive computer design apple made, and probably will stay that way (well except for their older prototyppe projects, that is). Unfortunately apple crippled the machine, never really tried to follow it up with decent upgrades, and instead of trying to release something significant they added a stupid 20" monitor and tried to sell THAT.

Eh but back to the argument, I think you need to go wash your brain out before you start doing these sorts of things. While I might not be making millions of dollars being a "mac pro", I'm certainly not doing nothing here

If you DO decide to start countering my argument with insults like you just tried to fire off, I'm sure you'll be proven wrong very easily.
Aloha

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2004, 10:33 PM

what is your point chrisutley?

my definition of a pro is someone that uses a mac to generate income. in otherwords, a professional. a lot of pros are designers and would therefore likely have a strong opinion on the aesthetics.

so... what do you mean... ?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules