Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod repair services

iPod repair services
sadpandas
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2009, 11:08 PM

Hi all my barely used 3rd gen iPod will not power on anymore. I just pulled it out after a couple months and turned it on. it came on i plugged it into my mac. everything seemed fine. the next day i tried to turn it on and it wouldn't power up.

Now, there are a TON of ipod repair services and prices range from reasonable to insane. Which have any of you actually used or heard work well fast and inexpensively? Please let me know and thanks in advance as i would like to start using this thing again as my other ipod is in my glove box being used with my pioneer avic d3.... Oh, and i dont like using my iphone as an ipod then i cant really talk .

Anyway, thanks as usual . you guys are the bestest.

p
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

ibook_steve
Nov 2, 2009, 11:34 PM

3rd gen? How big is the drive? Maybe it would just be better to get a new iPod (or reven refurbished) than spend the money on a repair for the "antique."

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

sadpandas  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
3rd gen? How big is the drive? Maybe it would just be better to get a new iPod (or reven refurbished) than spend the money on a repair for the "antique."

Steve

she is a 30 gig and your answer is exactly why i am asking. If the repair cost is too insane then there is no way I would consider it but if $40 bucks will bring her back to life i can ALWAYS use a 30 gig iPod for either using it to play back tracks to it live or to use it as a hard drive or just to have another iPod in my wifes car instead of her using her iPhone or her nano....

Anyway, if anyone knows how much it would be to be to replace the hard drive as i am assuming that is what it is then please let know. If you have ever used these services what was your experience.

Thanks!
P

p.s. LISTEN TO MOGWAI
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2009, 05:16 PM

I've seen a replacement hard drive for the 3G (I have one too) sell for $120, a 40GB for $140. I am thinking of buying one and doing the replacement myself. Apple will charge you $250 to replace a hard drive with labor. You might consider replacing the battery, too since you have it open already.

zero1207
Nov 24, 2009, 07:38 PM

If your iPod isn't turning on at all its most likely a battery issue. I don't know about prices where you're at but our local shop does battery replacements for $45, which includes parts and labor. Which I don't think is bad to revive an older ipod. Now if the hard drive is bad, I couldn't justify dropping more than $100 on just the part alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules