Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac problems

Powermac problems
DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2003, 05:13 AM

hey guys, i have a Dual 867, and i brought it home during spring break, and im noticing some weird stuff with it.

First off would be the noise. i always that it was so funny when people were complaining about the noise problem, becuase i only got a loud noise when i turned on the computer. well, apparently, my dorm room is a lot nicer to my mac than my room is, becuase this thing is loud! now, i keep it in a cabinet, so its no surprise to me that it wll run more hot, but the noise is crazy. Im actually thinking about getting the fan update, or that cool upgrade i saw that replaces the heatsink with a fan setup (what was that called again?)

the second thing that i noticed is that my mac isnt doing so good with the extra ram i put in. normally, i have 512 RAM (2 256 peices), but my PC (2000+/4200) broke (dont know why, i still have to diagnose it...it wont turn on), so i decided to use its RAM in my mac. the weird part is that i only recognizes 256 of the RAM, and profiler says i have 768. i thought maybe its becuase of the order i put it in, but no, still says 768 after messing around with it. any ideas why it would do this? Do you think i should take the RAM out?

thanks for the help!
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by DBvader:
hey guys, i have a Dual 867, and i brought it home during spring break, and im noticing some weird stuff with it.

First off would be the noise. i always that it was so funny when people were complaining about the noise problem, becuase i only got a loud noise when i turned on the computer. well, apparently, my dorm room is a lot nicer to my mac than my room is, becuase this thing is loud! now, i keep it in a cabinet, so its no surprise to me that it wll run more hot, but the noise is crazy. Im actually thinking about getting the fan update, or that cool upgrade i saw that replaces the heatsink with a fan setup (what was that called again?)

the second thing that i noticed is that my mac isnt doing so good with the extra ram i put in. normally, i have 512 RAM (2 256 peices), but my PC (2000+/4200) broke (dont know why, i still have to diagnose it...it wont turn on), so i decided to use its RAM in my mac. the weird part is that i only recognizes 256 of the RAM, and profiler says i have 768. i thought maybe its becuase of the order i put it in, but no, still says 768 after messing around with it. any ideas why it would do this? Do you think i should take the RAM out?

thanks for the help!
I can't really help you with that noise issue because... well let's face it, the MDD blows!

However you should take out the additional RAM stick. It seems to be a 512MB stick and only half of it is being recognized which means it's not compatible with your PowerMac due to internal bank organization.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules