Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > IMac Crash and Restore How? ? ? ?

View Poll Results: How do you resolve a startup where all you get is a Disk Icon and a "?".
Poll Options:
Email Suggestion to [email protected] 0 votes (0%)
Call me at 205-531-8728 and tell me how 0 votes (0%)
Fax me your solution to 205-856-3218 Please help we withouth having to take to shop for repair 0 votes (0%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll
IMac Crash and Restore How? ? ? ?
Tom Duke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 12:32 PM

I have a strawberry IMac. It has done crazy thing since the beginning when we brought it home. The other night is locked up as usual and we cut it off. Okay, so let's restart and try again, but this time, no , only a gray screen with a disk icon and a big "?" mark in the middle. We tried to reset the computer and then we tried to use Disk First Aid to analyze the problem and repair it. Ran the Repair several times. Removed the start up CD and tried again with on the Disk Icon and "?" mark. We did a restore in place so everything should remain the same, but repair the system folder. No Luck. We have checked the System Folder to be sure the file that is require to be there is there. It is there, but the system just does not know where to find the start routine. Only if you boot from the CD and then none of the extras like printers or zip drive work. What are we doing wrong. Can this be fixed with out completely erasing the drive and reloading everything. I hope not. Please send you replied to my email [email protected]. Need you help soonest if possible. Otherwise I an doing just what this fellow is doing

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 05:00 PM

Do an Archive & Install.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Do an Archive & Install.
I second that motion

PS: dude... why the **** did you put your phone number and your email on here?!?! this isn't a help desk type of thing. <sarcasm> Good luck with the spam and prank calls. </sarcasm>
Signature depreciated.

normang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 05:58 PM

he can always edit that info out, the sooner the better..
I've updated my site, Drop On by the *New*
Macinfo.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules