Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PB - Favorite All Time Mac

17" PB - Favorite All Time Mac
wanderlust
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 07:10 AM

Just wanted to share with you my experience with this power book.

Holy crap this computer rocks.

I have to admit that this latest mac is my favorite mac to date, and I've used so very many. I've owned 7 different models, desktop and power books (I'm sure that number is small compared to some and large compared to others). In all honesty, I tend to be a gadget guy and like the latest models of most of what I have.

That being said, and with it's minor faults (we can always find something wrong with everything if we try hard enough) the 17" PowerBook is by far the greatest computing experience I think I've ever had.

Those of you looking to get into it, I say it's time you consider this thing. Apple got lot of things right with this computer.

Things I especially like:
The feel of the keyboard. I thought at first my Wall Street was nice, then my TiBook upped it. This keyboard blows them both away. I love the feel of it...solid yet responsive with just the right amount of give.

The screen. Holy crap the screen on this thing is the cat's meow. I love the bigness, the crispness and the brightness and the fact that I can take it anywhere.

Despite what some might say, this Power Book is very portable. Don't let anyone who has just played with the thing at the Apple Store tell you any different. It's just as portable as the three other power books I've owned. In fact, because it's so thin, it seems like it's actually smaller than the blackbird and the wallstreet I used to carry around. I normally fly in first on United and the experience is perfect. However, I just took a flight from Vegas to Oakland on Southwest in coach and I had absolutely no problems with space. None. In fact, the computer "feels right" on my lap, like I don't have to worry about it falling off onto the floor or the lap of the person next to me.

I like the way that my hands rest on the computer's keyboard. The additional space here is a definite plus. there is solid resting room.

The ports on the side. Frankly, I was envious of the iBook users just because of this feature. I didn't like having to fish around in the back and dicking with the back flap of my TiBook, or my Wallstreet. It just makes more sense. They're so much easier to get to. I also like the little detail of the two USB ports being on either side. Nice touch.

Burning DVDs on the road with a slot-loading drive. I've been wanted to do that with my TiBook since I first purchased that thing two years ago. And now I can do it on the road. Too cool!

I love being able to plug into a 23" studio monitor and closing the lid when I'm at the office. I've been thinking about a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as well. (I detest cables and chords...have since I first started using computers...I mean I really hate them). Bluetooth is a godsend and the fact that it's built in to this puppy is awesome. I had a dLink for my TiBook. Cool, but a pain in the rump having to fish it out and d!ck around with the USB port in the back under the flap. Now it's invisible. I like that. Now, if only that wireless electricity would hurry up and make its debut, I'll be in heaven.

Anywho, I could go on...and perhaps later I'll post a few more of my thoughts.

I'd be curious of some of the things you like or dislike about the 17". (Honestly, I know that in several months the BigAl will get a speed boost and possibly a 970 by the end of the year, but for now, I'm very very pleased with my experience. This computer rocks, no doubt.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 08:16 AM

Great to hear you're enjoying your 17" PB so much...I'm right there with ya man. This is the first Mac I've ever owned, however I've used past Macs at school and none have even came CLOSE to the experience put forth by the 17" PowerBook.

And I could go on and on about it's features (which I have) and can be seen here: http://www.pinehillproducts.com/pb_review/index.html
Hope it continues to impress!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

djjava
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 08:26 AM

Amen! The PB17 is head of its class... it is excruciating to use PCs now. Even the P4 2.4 ghz I use at work is dwarfed by my PB17's performance.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 09:36 AM

After just 4 days with my new Powerbook17, I too am equally impressed.

It is better than I had imagined it would be.

This is my seventh Mac and it is easily the most amazing one of them all.

So far I do not have any major gripes, except the grinding sound coupled with the occasional failure of the slot load drive to eject a CD or DVD. This is usually fixed by dragging the disk to the trash instead of using the eject key (?).

I am particularly pleased with:

The loudness and quality of the speakers.

The finish and the design. Amazing!

The feel of the keyboard.

The ALS. Works very well.

The silence. My fan (is this the only fan speed?) is on now, and I think it is because of SETI running for the past few hours. Much quieter than any Powerbook I have had. About the same noise level as the iBook.

The fact that in a 7 pound notebook, there is no feature that Apple left out!

I feel even more sorry for PC users now!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2003, 11:29 AM

All the above is pretty impressive, but the killer use for me is being able to work in the fresh air, my studio is in a basement, but I work in the English countryside normally I see relatively little of the sun.

Now I can take my pasty white self outside, and live free. I can retouch on a larger screen than I have ever had before, remain connected to a variety of servers, listen to BBC 1 Extra on bad ass speakers (for a laptop natch), not to mention cutting CDs for clients, browsing the web etc...

urrl5201
May 7, 2003, 11:46 AM

I take mine to work every day, in fact, I don't leave home without it unless I take short trips like to the grocery store. It is so simple to slip it into a Tom Bihn Monolith sleeve which is nestled in an every day run of the mill back pack. If I want to look "church" or "business" I slip it into a soft briefcase from the local Office Max. The laptop itself is better in all respects than my old 500 Mhz and 667 DVI Powerbooks. I do not have any regrets, except for why it took so long for the 17" model to hit the streets. It exceeds all my requirements for video and the "recommended" requirements for most games (not the "minimum" requirements). This laptop will definitely be my first 3 year keeper as long as it functions as well as it has been doing.

wanderlust  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:
All the above is pretty impressive, but the killer use for me is being able to work in the fresh air, my studio is in a basement, but I work in the English countryside normally I see relatively little of the sun.

Now I can take my pasty white self outside, and live free. I can retouch on a larger screen than I have ever had before, remain connected to a variety of servers, listen to BBC 1 Extra on bad ass speakers (for a laptop natch), not to mention cutting CDs for clients, browsing the web etc...
LOL. True, true.

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 08:21 PM

I got mine for 3 days now..and its great...I love the keyboard...iTunes...and the unix core. I feel right at home with a unix terminal.

I'm still learning osx (3day total experience)...

There are things here and there that I need to get used to..but I just love it!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Jayman20
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 08:55 PM

Even the P4 2.4 ghz I use at work is dwarfed by my PB17's performance.
I feel the same way. The speed difference looks alot bigger on paper that it really is.

SwitchnSOON
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 09:17 PM

I have had this 17 for 3 weeks and 1 day. It is the 1st non-windows computer I have ever owned or used, and I am amazed by it. It is simply magnificent.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2003, 09:30 PM

I know what you mean about speed. I'm rendering video, touching up images, typing on the Net, and composing an InDesign layout all at the same time and it hasn't hardly slowed down a bit. My 12's just zipping along while I'm sitting on the back porch drinking my coffee enjoying the evening.

Damn, I wonder how the other half lives.

Ah, the render's done. Time to burn a DVD and check my Amazon orders...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wanderlust  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 10:17 PM

I failed to mention the feel of the new powerbooks as well. The finish is more touch-friendly than the TiBook. I'm not sure of how to describe the texture, it's just more pleasant.

Oh, I didn't mention the fact that I've been using iSync and BlueTooth to sync my Sony Ericsson t68i with my Address Book and iCal. Wonderful! My Palm was stolen several months back, but I'm not missing much since I'm using this solution.

I'm also using the t68i to connect to the internet from anywhere! Very cool! And with AT&T's minutes without limits (includes data) I can stay attached mobiley with no worries.

Did I say how much I'm liking this computer?

jckalen
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 10:25 PM

In my entire life, I have never owned anything cooler. Period.
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2003, 10:45 PM

I couldn't agree more. Everything about this computer is great! I think one thing that wanderlust touched on that has been overlooked is the keyboard. I mean the glowing is awesome in itself, but the keyboard has the perfect amount of give, everything. I was afraid that after working on my Lombard (which has an awesome keyboard in my opinion) I'd have a hard time getting used to a new keyboard. I don't like Apple's Pro keyboards for desktops, they seem to stick too much. I especially don't like most PC desktop keyboards, they stick twice as much as Apple's keyboards. The PB17's keyboard is just plain awesome.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 11:09 PM

I've only had my 17" for 3 days, and I too an very impressed. I've owned a Mac Classic, Pefroma 6115, Lombard 333, and recently upgraded from the 1Ghz 15" TiBook. In terms of the regular computing tasks I do, the performance is very similiar to the TiBook. However, other things make the 17" just a much more pleasurable experience.

First and foremost, it has been such a quiet machine so far. The fans are running as I write this, but they're barely noticeable, not like those damn obnoxious "hair dryer" ones on my previous 15". The display is just awesome, I love the side ports (which I did not anticipate), the speakers are better (not great), but the keyboard and aluminum finish are huge improvements. Oh, and another small touch - the display lifts effortlessly, unlike the tight hinges on the 15". I also love using the built-in bluetooth with my T68i, and having the airport extreme card to use with my extreme base station.

The only drawback for me personally is that it is a bit heavy, but it's not that much of an issue. I'm sure 17" will become my favorite mac of all time as well, but for now my old Lombard, on which I got through grad school and wrote my dissertation, is gonna hold that title for a while

wanderlust  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2003, 05:06 AM

Ah yes, indeed, a very astute point. This machine is bloody quiet compared to the TiBook, et al. It seems to run significantly cooler as well, very likely due to the amount of room air is aloud to circulate. I've been on this thing like constantly from the time I bought it a week ago and haven't had hotlap issues once. That's a nice thing. I would think it's the Aluminum that is dissipating the heat, but it may not be the material as much as it is the content of it, seeing as that the 12" AlBook users have been reporting heat issues. Right now this thing (Jeez, I'm thinking I need to give her a name since I seem to falling in love ) is only slightly warm to the touch, both above and below.

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
May 8, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Amen! The PB17 is head of its class... it is excruciating to use PCs now. Even the P4 2.4 ghz I use at work is dwarfed by my PB17's performance.

Right.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by wanderlust:
Right now this thing (Jeez, I'm thinking I need to give her a name since I seem to falling in love ) is only slightly warm to the touch, both above and below.
I don't want to hear about your heat "below"!

george328
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:

I don't post here too often but your mention of working with your laptop in the English countryside... if only I could do so here in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, if I step outside I am under the flight path of 747's.

Someday, someday I will move to countryside!

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2003, 11:37 AM

Hmmmm... The 17" is an awesome laptop but so is the 15". My 2 cents:

1) The 17" is a bit too big for my tastes. It's thin, but also awkward. I think of it as more oriented to the desktop replacement types. On planes I think the 15" is already a bit large in economy class. I much preferred my 12" iBook on the plane. Plus I find the extra 1.5 lb of the 17" over the 15" noticeable.

2) The 17" has a better keyboard feel than the 15".

3) One thing I always hated about my iBook was having the cables on the slides. I much prefer having them at the back. However, given that the ports are on the side on the 17", having one USB on each side is a nice touch. The one thing about the ports on the 15" I don't like is the port cover. It looks nice but is fragile and simply gets in the way.

4) The 15" fan is loud.

5) It seemed to me that the 15" screen is slightly brighter than the 17" screen. But both are great and much better than the 12" PowerBook's screen.

6) Integrated BlueTooth on the 17" is a bonus if you have a need for it. (I don't have any BlueTooth peripherals yet though so I don't miss it.)

7) Airport Extreme on the 17" is a bonus.

8) Judging by benches with UT2003, it seems that gaming on the two machines is almost identical, with initial tests seeming to favour the 15" slightly but insignificantly. (Not that I'd buy a PowerBook for gaming.)

9) The 15" costs a lot less for almost identical performance for most tasks. However, you get almost 20% more usable desktop space on the 17".

10) DVD-RW burning support (sort of) on the 17" is nice. The firmware of the 15" will not allow DVD-RW burning. Also, the faster CD-R burning of the 17" is nice, albeit not a huge deal.

Thus, for these reasons I feel that both computers are quite good but have slightly different markets. I still prefer the 15" mainly because of the size issue, given that the performance is similar. I bought my TiBook when the 17" didn't exist, but even given the same choice now I'd still get the 15" TiBook. However, if one can wait a few months, then the awesome option of the 15" AluBook will also appear.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Even the P4 2.4 ghz I use at work is dwarfed by my PB17's performance.
Um, NO. Absolutely not. The 17" PB is a very fine machine, but a Mac's strength is not speed, not even close. A 2.4 GHz P4 will devour the 17" with ease.

Trust me. My desktop is a 2.4 GHz P4 running XP Pro, and I have a 1 GHz TiBook as well. The x86 machine is FAR faster.

The Mac has many nice touches that a Windows machine does not, but speed is not one of them.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I know what you mean about speed. I'm rendering video, touching up images, typing on the Net, and composing an InDesign layout all at the same time and it hasn't hardly slowed down a bit. My 12's just zipping along while I'm sitting on the back porch drinking my coffee enjoying the evening.

Damn, I wonder how the other half lives.

Strange you should mention that. I am selling my six-week-old TiBook right now, as it's being replaced by the ThinkPad T40. Both are very nice machines, but the T40 is much, much faster, and the battery life is simply amazing.

To each his own, I suppose, but don't "wonder how the other half lives." Since Centrino, the x86 side of the world has some very nice technology.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
Strange you should mention that. I am selling my six-week-old TiBook right now, as it's being replaced by the ThinkPad T40. Both are very nice machines, but the T40 is much, much faster, and the battery life is simply amazing.

To each his own, I suppose, but don't "wonder how the other half lives." Since Centrino, the x86 side of the world has some very nice technology.
Yeah, to say a PowerBook overall is faster than a top of the line PC laptop is absurd. A PowerBook is very stable yes (as is a good quality PC machine), and it's a joy to use yes (more so than Windows or Linux), but blistering fast it ain't.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Yeah, to say a PowerBook overall is faster than a top of the line PC laptop is absurd. A PowerBook is very stable yes (as is a good quality PC machine), and it's a joy to use yes (more so than Windows or Linux), but blistering fast it ain't.
Why can't more people on this site have your objectivity?

Zealot-types: please be more like Eug here. Thanks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2003, 04:17 PM

PoisonTooth,

This *IS* a Mac site, with Mac lovers. We don't have to like PCs, we don't have to like Windows, we don't even have to be agreeable to any of the statements that you make. I couldn't care less about any PC laptop, desktop, or any of their specs. I run a Mac because it's the best fit for me and it runs the apps that I want to run and a PC doesn't. AFAIC, my PB is plenty fast enough for me and has incredible apps and a drop-dead gorgeous/super-stable OS.

So, go ahead and run the x86 platform and tout your mighty "gigahertzness" to your buddies, because it's going to get a lot less attention in these parts. I'm still going to sit and wonder how the "other half lives", and if I have to explain that to you then you never really "got" what it means to run a Mac and Mac software. Does that sound arrogant? Yep. Do I care? Nope. I really don't give a rat's a$$.

Good day.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
PoisonTooth,

This *IS* a Mac site, with Mac lovers. We don't have to like PCs, we don't have to like Windows, we don't even have to be agreeable to any of the statements that you make.
I don't care if you like Windows or PCs at all. I own both, so my theory is quite firmly "to each his own."

If you don't want to agree with the subjective statements I make, that's fine. But when we're discussing something empirical -- like Mac's speed dilemma -- if you choose "not to agree" you're choosing not to be informed.

I couldn't care less about any PC laptop, desktop, or any of their specs.
That's cool. Your choice.

I run a Mac because it's the best fit for me and it runs the apps that I want to run and a PC doesn't. AFAIC, my PB is plenty fast enough for me and has incredible apps and a drop-dead gorgeous/super-stable OS.
Agree 100%. Use whatever works for you -- there's no sense in doing otherwise.

So, go ahead and run the x86 platform and tout your mighty "gigahertzness" to your buddies, because it's going to get a lot less attention in these parts.
I'm not looking to convert anyone. I'm totally OK with what machine I use, and frankly, I think the Mac platform has a ton going for it.

I'm still going to sit and wonder how the "other half lives", and if I have to explain that to you then you never really "got" what it means to run a Mac and Mac software.
Oh, here we go with the soulful, fluffy wistfulness. Spare me, OK? I think OSX is an amazing OS, no two ways about it.

Does that sound arrogant? Yep.
Not really. You're certainly entitled to your viewpoint.

Do I care? Nope. I really don't give a rat's a$$.
Good for you!

Good day.
And good day to you. Have a nice weekend.

wanderlust  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2003, 01:42 AM

When it comes down to it, the numbers are numbers and you can stare at them for hours but they will only be numbers.

Since Personal Computers are operated by human beings and not other machines made up of numbers, it's the human experience that matters.

I also work in both platforms (and sometimes "the third"), and frankly, running a quadfilatetramegadickahertz Windows machine still doesn't seem to run as fast or as smoothly as a mac. But that's me! This is a subjective self talking here. Again, tout all of the numbers and benchmark testing you care to. What matters to me, and I would think with the rest of the normal users as far as user experience goes, is that what I'm working on does its job. And I want it done quickly and with the least amount of hastle as possible.

Although the newer XP machines are more stable than those in the past, the experience for me (and others, but not all) is that the performance and user experience with OS X STILL is a cut above the windows experience, especially with the newer machines.

User experiece > .htz

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 10, 2003, 10:08 AM

I bought the 17" PB because:

1. OSX
2. I want to get on with the whole digital hub phenomenon
3. I love big screen that I can take with me anywhere
4. 1 GHz is acceptable for me.
5. Its a fashion statement

PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2003, 10:27 AM

wanderlust,

Damn, very well said.
- Thomas Paine

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 10, 2003, 11:32 PM

Now, would that be: 1) Ho'-lee 'crap or 2) Ho-lee' crap'?

And please, let's not overly kid ourselves. The Powerbook is not as fast, let alone faster, than a P4/2.4. Now, it may *feel* faster at times getting around and all, but that's glorious Windows for ya, but, again, not to rain too much on this self-congratulatory lovefest, which I really do enjoy -- really!), but c'mon, really, I mean no offense at all, but, seriously, folks, don't get me wrong -- the PB17" is god's notebook-of-choice-and-all, but...

Well, that's not going nowhere. Damn, did I just use five "buts" in one sentence *and* a double negative? Where be my english at??
I, ASIMO.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2003, 03:56 AM

Not trying to take anything away from the 17" but I feel exactly the way about my miniBook.

I've just returned from my first trip with it and it has performed amazingly well.

Battery life good enough for viewing DVDs on planes,

Wireless internet connection operational in most airport lounges,

Bluetooth connectivity and synching of contacts and appointments to my Ericsson T68, thus eliminating need for Palm

Ditto mail and net connectivity anywhere there is a GSM or GPRS network

Light and small enough to take anywhere, check.

Plenty fast enough for Keynote, mail, net access, Nixus, FCP and everything else it has been asked to handle so far

Envy factor by other geeks

I love the 12"

Forum Links
Forum Rules