Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Final Cut Studio 2 on MacBook?

Final Cut Studio 2 on MacBook?
Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 05:41 AM

I've been doing occasional video editing on my MacBook C2duo with FC Studio 1 (FCP 5) and it's coped pretty well - managed to do a multi-cam edit fine.

Pondering the upgrade to Studio 2 and I note it says in the system requirements 'not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors'.... does that mean it won't run at all on my MacBook, or would it be Motion and Colour that would just struggle???

TIA

Steve

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2007, 11:48 AM

All the apps will install.

Motion runs, but can exhibit unexpected behaviour because (AFAIK) the integrated graphics don't support floating-point. I think this, and amount of VRAM, are the main reasons why Motion and other features are unsupported. I have used Motion on my Macbook for a number of little things, including a comp with over 50 layers. The biggest issue is just that you have to render a LOT because the real-time performance is so bad. I haven't really looked at the 3D in Motion 3, so I'm not sure how that's affected, but my guess is it would be.

Color tries to open but will give a dialog on startup that it requires 128MB of VRAM. It claims that you can then run it unsupported, but on my Macbook it just quits anyway.

So far, FCP and Soundtrack run just fine for me, with no problems - YMMV!

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 10, 2007, 12:00 PM

FCP 5.1 working very well on a MB C2D 2.0ghz 2gb for me.

Steve SpotOn  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2007, 02:39 AM

Wulf

That's great... I'm already running FCP 5.1 but we're taking our main edit machine (a Mac Pro 3g) up to the FC Studio 2 (FCP 6) and it will be great to do some simple editing on my MacBook on location.
The guy I spoke to at my local Apple Centre claimed it wouldn't install at all.

I look forward to trying it!

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules