Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone here ever find a meteorite?

Anyone here ever find a meteorite?
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 06:47 PM

I saw a bright green fireball driving home from San Diego last night. It stopped burning and glowed orange hot as it dropped straight down a few hundred yards from the road. Hopefully the pitch black Arizona night didn't give the illusion of it being closer than it really was, but we're going to go look for it Wednesday. Luckily, it was only 7 miles outside of the town I live in.

I'm just curious if anyone ever tried to find one they saw. Worst case scenario is that we get some exercise hiking in the mountains.

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 07:19 PM

design219
Professional Poster
May 5, 2008, 07:32 PM

Wow, that's cool! I've never seen one fall close at all, but I'd love to find one. Have fun.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Gator Lager
Senior User
May 6, 2008, 01:07 AM

let me help motivate you in your hunt. go to this site and check out his price list. www(dot)meteoriteman(dot)com

there's gold in them thar space rocks. well not actual gold, but some people will pay more for them than gold.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager View Post
let me help motivate you in your hunt. go to this site and check out his price list. www(dot)meteoriteman(dot)com

there's gold in them thar space rocks. well not actual gold, but some people will pay more for them than gold.
Yeah, I was thinking about calling him for tips. Not sure if he still lives in Tuscon, but he's only 3 1/2 hours from here. I have the "Rocks From Space" book for amateur meteor hunters, just never had time to go searching. I got several people to join the hunt/hike by telling them how much meteorites can be worth.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Wow, that's cool! I've never seen one fall close at all, but I'd love to find one. Have fun.
That's one of the best things about Arizona, the night sky. A lot of people never see a fireball in their lifetimes, I've been lucky enough to see 5. Seeing the meteorite as it hit its retardation point last night blew me away, one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

zro
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 10:04 AM

That sounds... exhilarating. I would love to see such a sight.

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
That's one of the best things about Arizona, the night sky.
I see you've never been to Phoenix. Or Tucson, for that matter.

And what's with the "(dot)com" business, Gator?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 10:06 AM

I think he's avoiding giving it a google result, best as I can tell.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2008, 11:42 AM

A buddy of mine was on TV years ago. A meteorite literally crashed in his front yard. It took out the entire front lawn, half the drive-way, the front window of the house, and most of the sidewalk. Huge crater. Anyone who lived in the Bay Area might remember it, it was pretty big news. Late 80s or early 90s, I can't remember.

The sucker was about the size of a baseball, which is pretty damn big for a meteorite. I remember it being very heavy. It was like picking up shot-put.

Tons of people offered them money for it, up into the 100s of thousands. They didn't sell it. I hope they still have it, that was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Tons of people offered them money for it, up into the 100s of thousands. They didn't sell it. I hope they still have it, that was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.
$100k for a rock? I'd have taken that in a heartbeat....

Gator Lager
Senior User
May 6, 2008, 01:23 PM

didn't want to promote his site (not an active url).
I've seen this dude on the tellie before. he's made some major bucks hunting space rocks.

Originally Posted by zro View Post
That sounds... exhilarating. I would love to see such a sight.

I see you've never been to Phoenix. Or Tucson, for that matter.

And what's with the "(dot)com" business, Gator?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
May 6, 2008, 03:02 PM

if i ever found a meteorite it would probably become my most prized possession... although if someone offered me a boat load of money for it... I think I would cave in and take the cash...

and invest it in property or to start a company...

-Zach

Rumor
May 6, 2008, 03:12 PM

I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Brass
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 05:49 PM

I saw a shooting star turn to a fireball while out hunting wallaby with a mate one night. It then went behind a hill, after which there was a bright flash from behind the hill. We assume that the flash was when it hit the ground. It was very spectacular, and we both turned to each other and said something like, "wow, that was fantastic - we'll probably never see anything like that again for the rest of our lives".

Unfortunately, it was quite a long way away where it hit, and behind a hill, so we couldn't really tell where it touched down (and was in the middle of a large area of bush). So we couldn't go searching for it. :-(

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 6, 2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
I saw a shooting star turn to a fireball while out hunting wallaby with a mate one night.
Sorry you didn't find the meteorite, but your post was worth it just for that line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules