Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 16)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I'd love to see a source for that.
Huh? See a source for that? I have exhibit A, the XBox 360.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Since when is the 360 a web link? Show a SOURCE, tough guy.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Since when is the 360 a web link? Show a SOURCE, tough guy.
Are you telling me you don't know the XBox 360 upscales? Hell, even my TI-83 calculator can upscale. Mac OS X's resolution independent UI stuff is upscaling in action.

But, if you really need a weblink to something so standardly done:
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=49789
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 07:59 PM

There you go off on some bullshit again.

Show me ANY source that says the Nintendo wii can or will support anything higher than 480p. Not the Xbox, not the PS2, I want anything that says the Wii can do it.

No not your opinion or guesses, I want any nintendo comment that backs up your crap.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 08:03 PM

Wii and wii alone.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker

Show me ANY source that says the Nintendo wii can or will support anything higher than 480p. Not the Xbox, not the PS2, I want anything that says the Wii can do it.

No not your opinion or guesses, I want any nintendo comment that backs up your crap.
The Wii is a computer. Computers are capable of this. Do you believe there is something fundamentally special about the Wii that would render it completely incapable of this even if Nintendo were to release a special version that explicitly supported it?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
The Wii is a computer. Computers are capable of this. Do you believe there is something fundamentally special about the Wii that would render it completely incapable of this even if Nintendo were to release a special version that explicitly supported it?
Source, anything. Cuz nintendo rarely upgrades it home systems.

the SNES had that port on the bottom for future CD-ROM upgrade. Never happened.

The N64 had that port on the bottom for the DD (zip disk) drive to make up for the small storage and non-writability of the N64 Carts. Never happened in the US and it sucked in Japan.

The GameCube had that port on the bottom for network connection. Nintendo released it with "nobody wants to play games online". Nobody bought it.

The only time they upgraded something was the RAM to update the merger 2MB the N64 had years later. It shipped with a game but was notorious for overheating and crashing systems so people mostly ran it with the lid off.

I won't even get into how they upgrade the GameBoys.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 08:41 PM

If you were hoping for Mario 128... it is pretty much Mario Galaxies which doesn't look terribly new.

IGN: Miyamoto Opens the Vault

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 08:52 PM

Instead, I'd like you to go back and read what I actually said. Once you read what I actually said, come back and say something intelligent. Then maybe I'll give you a decent reply.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 08:56 PM

Source, anything. Cuz nintendo rarely upgrades it home systems.

the SNES had that port on the bottom for future CD-ROM upgrade. Never happened.

The N64 had that port on the bottom for the DD (zip disk) drive to make up for the small storage and non-writability of the N64 Carts. Never happened in the US and it sucked in Japan.

The GameCube had that port on the bottom for network connection. Nintendo released it with "nobody wants to play games online". Nobody bought it.

The only time they upgraded something was the RAM to update the merger 2MB the N64 had years later. It shipped with a game but was notorious for overheating and crashing systems so people mostly ran it with the lid off.

I won't even get into how they upgrade the GameBoys.
If you bothered to actually read what I said, I said there wouldn't be anything preventing Nintendo from releasing a backwards compatible Wii down the road. If Nintendo is wrong and HD catches on they could easily release a standard Wii for something like $150 (I'm just making up prices), and a Wii HD for $250.

Nintendo launch of the Wii without HD support does not mean Nintendo won't be supporting HD for the Wii's lifespan, like you suggest.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 08:57 PM

Instead, I'd like you to go back and read what I actually said. Once you read what I actually said, come back and say something intelligent. Then maybe I'll give you a decent reply.
Nice way to run and hide again.

Simple question... to your comment of:
"The Wii can be upgraded to HD later and all games can be upscaled, XBox 360 style. For now, it's not necessary."

Question 1.
Are you saying the NEXT Nintendo product say Wii Wii 2 will be able to play old Wii titles and up scale them? So what.. 5 years from now?

Question 2.
Are you saying they will come out with a Wii version 2 that supports high def and will upscale old games?

Comment: Upscaling doesn't look half as good as Native 720p and 1080i.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 09:00 PM

Nice way to run and hide again.

Simple question... to your comment of:
"The Wii can be upgraded to HD later and all games can be upscaled, XBox 360 style. For now, it's not necessary."

Question 1.
Are you saying the NEXT Nintendo product say Wii Wii 2 will be able to play old Wii titles and up scale them? So what.. 5 years from now?

Question 2.
Are you saying they will come out with a Wii version 2 that supports high def and will upscale old games?

Comment: Upscaling doesn't look half as good as Native 720p and 1080i.
Read above.

Upscaling works fine, and for games, unlike DVD's, you would be running the game at Native 720p or 1080i. Upscaling games is completely different than upscaling DVD's.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 09:14 PM

Nintendo launch of the Wii without HD support does not mean Nintendo won't be supporting HD for the Wii's lifespan, like you suggest.
Oh right I forgot how nintendo loves to sell people the same hardware 2 or 3 times.

Remember how it took some breakthrough in computer sciences to put a backlight in the GBA that was only realized 1 year after they came out with it..so they sold you a new one for the same price. Somehow. they also made it half the size.

Or the Nintendo DS. "It is cheaper than the PSP, you pay $150 now and $150 a year and a half from now when we put a adjustable backlight in it and realize it is clunky so we just copy an iBook."

Or how about the, Game Boy, Play it Loud Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Advance SP (with brighter backlight), Game Boy Micro.

These all came out some scarily close to one another with the average of every year.

I'd rather buy my hardware done right the first time thank you and not pay for nintendo's laziness or heck, smart way of marketing. Sell them the same thing 3 times and brag about how many of them there are out there....

BTW even Nintendo fanboys were smart enough not to touch the Micro which is selling horribly.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 09:18 PM

Oh right I forgot how nintendo loves to sell people the same hardware 2 or 3 times.

Remember how it took some breakthrough in computer sciences to put a backlight in the GBA that was only realized 1 year after they came out with it..so they sold you a new one for the same price. Somehow. they also made it half the size.

Or the Nintendo DS. "It is cheaper than the PSP, you pay $150 now and $150 a year and a half from now when we put a adjustable backlight in it and realize it is clunky so we just copy an iBook."

Or how about the, Game Boy, Play it Loud Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Advance SP (with brighter backlight), Game Boy Micro.

These all came out some scarily close to one another with the average of every year.

I'd rather buy my hardware done right the first time thank you and not pay for nintendo's laziness or heck, smart way of marketing. Sell them the same thing 3 times and brag about how many of them there are out there....

BTW even Nintendo fanboys were smart enough not to touch the Micro which is selling horribly.
You're not buying a Wii anyway. Why do you care? If they come out with an HD one you can shut up and buy one. Jees... I've never seen someone whine so much about product upgrades. Most people in the world actually like product upgrades.

Look how well Sony's strategy of not upgrading the PSP is working against the DS lite.

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 09:26 PM

You're not buying a Wii anyway. Why do you care? If they come out with an HD one you can shut up and buy one. Jees... I've never seen someone whine so much about product upgrades. Most people in the world actually like product upgrades.

Look how well Sony's strategy of not upgrading the PSP is working against the DS lite.
Actually I have a DS and said I am getting a Wii just to get rid of the cube.

But way to avoid the question again.

The PSP is selling great? Once again what are you talking about?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 09:29 PM

And the best part is that you still spend less than you would buying a single Sony system.
Chuck
___

Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 09:30 PM

And the best part is that you still spend less than you would buying a single Sony system.
No actually you don't if you do the math.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 09:36 PM

The PSP is selling great? Once again what are you talking about?

So I take it you were very angry at Sony when they introduced that form factor changing component upgrading PS2 slimline?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 09:48 PM

No actually you don't if you do the math.
Wii = $250 (at most)
PS3 = $599 (suggested retail price for top system — many retailers plan to go higher)

2*Wii < PS3
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 11:34 PM

Wii = $250 (at most)
PS3 = $599 (suggested retail price for top system — many retailers plan to go higher)

2*Wii < PS3
Um. Which retailers that YOU know of plan to "go higher"? Is this with or WITHOUT bundles?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Um. Which retailers that YOU know of plan to "go higher"? Is this with or WITHOUT bundles?
That's my bad. I Googled for it and it turns out I was remembering that Japanese retailers were going to go higher.
Chuck
___

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 01:48 AM

...Or the Nintendo DS. "It is cheaper than the PSP, you pay $150 now and $150 a year and a half from now when we put a adjustable backlight in it and realize it is clunky so we just copy an iBook."

Apple rarely gets their hardware right the first time (see MacBook Pro) yet you still continue to pay for them. Buying Nintendo hardware is no different than buying Apple hardware...hint: always stay away from the first release. I know 6 people who own a DS Lite (myself included) and non of us paid for "Nintendo's laziness" by purchasing an original DS.

Sony got a lot of things right the first time with the PSP but it is far from perfect. Some of the things I would like to see in a redesign:
1. a D-pad similar to the DS
2. longer battery life
3. reposition the analog nub so it's more comfortable to use
4. built in video camera (although adding this will make #2 a bit more difficult)

If Sony would include these features in a future redesign, I wouldn't have a problem purchasing a PSP again.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 07:04 AM

I've got a PS3 pre order, I got it so that i could think about whether I really wanted one, because if I didn't get the pre order I'd have no chance. To be honest I'm going to pick it up and sell it, probably ebay. If I do get one of my own, I'll get one when its cheaper, and when Gran Turismo is out for it (yes I'm a Gran Turismo freak! lol), so that'll be 2009 then .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 22, 2006, 10:23 AM

So I take it you were very angry at Sony when they introduced that form factor changing component upgrading PS2 slimline?
5 years later for 1/3 the cost.

Nope.

"Hello, what have we here?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:24 AM

Wii = $250 (at most)

2*Wii < PS3
Ah you do realize we were talking gameboys right?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
Sony got a lot of things right the first time with the PSP but it is far from perfect. Some of the things I would like to see in a redesign:
1. a D-pad similar to the DS
2. longer battery life
3. reposition the analog nub so it's more comfortable to use
4. built in video camera (although adding this will make #2 a bit more difficult)

If Sony would include these features in a future redesign, I wouldn't have a problem purchasing a PSP again.
The newer units have a stronger battery or you can buy it on it's own.

They are coming out with a camera but Sony did research and found very few people actually want it.

The gameboy had a camera once and it tanked.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 10:27 AM

Pix of the PS3

60 GB model:

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 10:31 AM

The high end one looks pretty flashy with that high gloss black and silver.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 02:20 PM

"Turns out that Blu-ray drive that every armchair analyst is convinced is a giant wooden equine built to penetrate our consumer-weary walls and then attack with an army of HD movies may actually be useful for gaming afterall. The game currently takes up 22GB! That's seven whole gee-bees more than a single layer HD-DVD disc that the Xbox 360 won't (?) be using for gaming."

Will Resistance: FoM justify the PS3 pricetag? - Joystiq

The graphics are rather impressive also.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 02:31 PM

I think it's just taking up all that space because the developers aren't bothering to compress anything. It's not actually 4 times as detailed and large as the best looking 360 games. (such as Gears of War, which fits on one 9 gig disc)

Hell, Oblivion fit on one disc.

Resistance does look cool as hell though. Not cool enough to buy a PS3 at launch, but cool.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I think it's just taking up all that space because the developers aren't bothering to compress anything. It's not actually 4 times as detailed and large as the best looking 360 games. (such as Gears of War, which fits on one 9 gig disc)

Hell, Oblivion fit on one disc.

Resistance does look cool as hell though. Not cool enough to buy a PS3 at launch, but cool.
Perhaps they went nuts with uncompressed audio, high res textures and cut scenes.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 02:56 PM

Does Sony try to make its products look terrible? Geez.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 03:01 PM

Does Sony try to make its products look terrible? Geez.
Yes they do. Horrible looking isn't it

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 03:12 PM

Well, yeah. I liked the Playstation and PS2, but they were the least attractive systems I've ever owned. And that's their design for the PS3?
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 03:19 PM

Well, yeah. I liked the Playstation and PS2, but they were the least attractive systems I've ever owned. And that's their design for the PS3?
Hey, don't buy one and miss out on the fun if the case is too ugly for you .

Personally I would have that over:

This:

Or these:

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 03:20 PM

I always thought that was kinda cool.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I always thought that was kinda cool.
The very front maybe but the top and sides are horrid. Looks like some no-name cheap radio shack alarm clock.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 03:49 PM

Perhaps they went nuts with uncompressed audio, high res textures and cut scenes.
Uncompressed audio? Maybe, but unlikely.
High rez textures? Undoubtedly, but you don't need 22 GB for that.
Cut scenes: Of course, but I hate those. I wish most of the cut scenes would be cut right out of the games.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Uncompressed audio? Maybe, but unlikely.
High rez textures? Undoubtedly, but you don't need 22 GB for that.
Cut scenes: Of course, but I hate those. I wish most of the cut scenes would be cut right out of the games.
I have heard of the texture thing being an issue so I think that is it.

When a game came out for PS2, XBOX and GameCube the Gamecube version usually had fuzzier textures and ass for audio just because there wasn't space on those little gamecube disks. Prince of Persia is a good example.

With the XBox doing most of the cutscenes in real time the PS3 probably does the same so that should do it either.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 04:30 PM

Yes they do. Horrible looking isn't it
I don't like the looks of the PS3 either. Looks kinda like the "future" devices designed in the 80s. But whatever floats your boat.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
I don't like the looks of the PS3 either. Looks kinda like the "future" devices designed in the 80s. But whatever floats your boat.
Honestly I don't really care all that much. They can cover it in green shag carpeting and still nobody will care as it is just sitting on a shelf while you stair at the TV.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2006, 04:55 PM

Hey, don't buy one and miss out on the fun if the case is too ugly for you .
I'm not saying I won't buy it because of that. The Playstation 2 is ugly too, but I bought that its first day of release. I'm just amazed that's the best they came up with after all this time. The currently revealed design for the Wii is very nice, and the Xbox 360 is not fantastic but not bad. And then there's the Sony Ionic Breeze.
Chuck
___

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 04:57 PM

Yeah, its basically a fatter yet sleeker version of the PS2. Nothing that excites, but nothing that would stop me dead in my tracks like the original XBOX.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 05:14 PM

I'm not saying I won't buy it because of that. The Playstation 2 is ugly too, but I bought that its first day of release. I'm just amazed that's the best they came up with after all this time. The currently revealed design for the Wii is very nice, and the Xbox 360 is not fantastic but not bad. And then there's the Sony Ionic Breeze.
The Wii is cute on that vertical stand but laying on a shelf it would look pretty damn cheap and weird.

I like the way the 360 looks horizontally but not so much vertically when you look at it from the side.

I HATED the look of the Xbox and didn't want to get it because it was so clunky but once it was on the stereo shelf it looked pretty good and fit right in.

The cube was a friggin reject from the start as you couldn't put it on a shelf because of the top loading. I have mine tucked behind the TV.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 05:50 PM

"LCD televisions now account for 22% of the worldwide TV market."

Now that is JUST LCD not other sources like Plazma or DLP.

Digital Home Canada - Global LCD TV Shipments more than double

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 06:29 PM

When a game came out for PS2, XBOX and GameCube the Gamecube version usually had fuzzier textures and ass for audio just because there wasn't space on those little gamecube disks. Prince of Persia is a good example.
Hmm, not so sure about that. SSX-3, for example, was much better on the GC than on the PS2. The graphics were superior, the music was the same and the load times were much better. I'm not saying that the 3.5" disc was a good idea (it wasn't), but it wasn't an achilles heel by any means.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ink
Hmm, not so sure about that. SSX-3, for example, was much better on the GC than on the PS2. The graphics were superior, the music was the same and the load times were much better. I'm not saying that the 3.5" disc was a good idea (it wasn't), but it wasn't an achilles heel by any means.
It is game depenent. usually the framerate was better on a cube because it had way more CPU but the textures were better on everything else.

But ya load times were better on a cube but that is the least of my concerns

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2006, 08:15 AM

SWG...dude, ur getting a Wii, right ? So whether its the backwards compatibility, the asthetics, the price or the new possibilities, Nintendo has won a sale, right ? Cant see a problem there for anyone concerned....

Im a bit underwhelmed by the Wii's graphical powers .... maybe cause my expectations were too high. I mean Twilight Princess looks stunning (animation, models, emotion, environments, effects).... Mario Galaxy looks... good.... but not terribly breathtaking. The rest of Nintendo's lineup look "Good".

In all honesty.... it's starting to seem like (GCN X 1.5) + controller + wireless + backwards compatibility = Wii. And it's not a bad deal for $200~$250 imo.

I might be wrong but i see the next next gen from Nintendo, being all this as well as a leap in graphics. And im assuming that by that time....HD will be as commonplace as broadband is today and it will hit retail for no more than $2XX. Which isnt a bad thing, cause we have more $$$ left over to spend on games.

I must admit that im not really looking to buy a HD display now...sure prices have fallen, but theyre still not at the point where id justify investing in it cause i dont spend a lot of time watching TV.... but thats just me. So the Wii's lack of HD isnt as big a factor to me as it is to ppl with HD displays.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 23, 2006, 09:37 AM

Honestly I don't really care all that much. They can cover it in green shag carpeting and still nobody will care as it is just sitting on a shelf while you stair at the TV.
stare.

Dino-Rider
Baninated
Aug 23, 2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ink
Um.... no. The controls were much much much better on the PS2. And if you used composite of S-video, it looks great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules