Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 20)
starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 07:29 PM

Yeah, it was the audio cable

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 7, 2006, 10:47 AM

OMG Loco Roco for the PSP is the BEST damn handheld game ever! No other game ever is anything like it as it is so original in gameplay and graphics.

This game would make Hitler smile!

It is the cutest, more beautiful, fun game I have played in years. This game is what the Nintendo fanboys love to scream Nintendo is only capable of making.

The actual game is much better than the demo as the demo level was sorta a mix up of multiple levels but all given the same look. In the actual game there are ice levels, rivers, trees and I am only on world 2!

The game doesn't feel repetitive even though it has simple missions and controls. The PSP hardware is absolutely perfect for this type of game with its wide screen and smooth graphics.

Damn, it has been a goooood month for the PSP with Ghosts and Goblins and now Loco Roco.
So far Loco Roco is better than anything I have for my DS (I'm not saying it is better overall because of that though).

If I didn't have a PSP already I would buy it just for this game (it is pretty cheap also).

If you own a PSP get this game.

"Hello, what have we here?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
It is the cutest, more beautiful, fun game I have played in years. This game is what the Nintendo fanboys love to scream Nintendo is only capable of making.
It's funny how much SWG makes fun of Nintendo games, but goes nuts when he finally finds a game that is Nintendo like...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
It's funny how much SWG makes fun of Nintendo games, but goes nuts when he finally finds a game that is Nintendo like...
Funny how I don't actually make fun of all Nintendo games which is probibly why I have 10x more than you do.

Funny how you can't stand the fact that there is a wicked game for something other Nintendo so your only method to relpy is to somehow make the game look bad by:

1) trying to insult me
2) Imply that it is "Nintendo like" when it draws no influence from anything made by anyone else ever.

Nice try though

Actually, I take that back. It wasn't a nice try, it was actually quite predictable and lame.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2006, 11:40 AM

Is Loco Roco the one with the blob you have to move around?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Is Loco Roco the one with the blob you have to move around?
Ya, I am pretty sure you won't like it but most people will find it amazing.

LocoRoco

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2006, 11:52 AM

I saw a very positive review of it on X-Play, and I loved Mercury.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 11:59 AM

Well I saw that one coming for a mile as neither the PS3 or the Wii have actually hit assembly lines. I know someone involved with the PS3 marketing and he mentioned that Canada would probably only get 3000 units at launch. That is nuts.

Anyway, isn't 500k the same amount MS shipped with the 360 except world wide?
North American PS3 launch will eclipse Xbox 360's, says SCEA // GamesIndustry.biz
SCEI president Ken Kutaragi yesterday announced that the US will be allocated 400,000 PS3 units for day one of launch.

Speaking to IGN, Sony spokesperson Dave Karraker said, "The North American number is just below what we had available at launch for PS2 and is higher than what Microsoft had for Xbox 360.

"More importantly, in my mind, is that we will have 1 to 1.2 million units available by December 31 in North America," he continued.

"This is more than double what Xbox 360 sold through during the same period (TRST data) and should assure there aren't significant stock dips at retail."

However, Microsoft did manage to pull off a global launch - and sold around 500,000 Xbox 360 units in Europe during the same period.

According to NPD figures, more than 320,000 Xbox 360 units were sold in North America within two weeks of launch - and hardware shortages followed across the region.
Since we were wondering yesterday...

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2006, 12:37 PM

I saw a very positive review of it on X-Play, and I loved Mercury.
Well give it a shot then if you appreciate good art direction and fun without knuckle grinding action. You should be able to find it new for $35.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2006, 05:06 PM

Anybody that is interested in Loco Roco, but doesn't have a PSP should try Gish:

GISH

It's a few years old, but looks to offer many of the same game concepts. Loco looks to be much more stylized though.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 12:03 AM

Nintendo unleashed a secret tonight...

IBM has been shipping Wii's CPU to Nintendo since July.

Bad timing for Sony.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/08/sh...y-hint-of-pow/
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 12:31 AM

Nintendo unleashed a secret tonight...

IBM has been shipping Wii's CPU to Nintendo since July.

Bad timing for Sony.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/08/sh...y-hint-of-pow/
How do you know Sony's not getting their CPUs yet?

Seriously, come back when you have something significant.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 12:34 AM

How do you know Sony's not getting their CPUs yet?

Seriously, come back when you have something significant.
The announcement means in theory Nintendo could release in the next couple of weeks.

That's why this doesn't make Sony look so hot.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 12:37 AM

The announcement means in theory Nintendo could release in the next couple of weeks.

That's why this doesn't make Sony look so hot.
So?

Nintendo has NOTHING except Zelda and Mario at this point. Not enough to sell units above Sony. Third party Wi-Fi isn't until next YEAR.

Seriously, stop looking at everything like a damn fanboy. Start looking at the bigger picture as a BUSINESS. This is why you and Hawk look like fools every time you post crap like this.

What about the problems they're having with the Wii controller? Wouldn't you think that offsets things a tad? Forgot that, didn'tcha?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 12:41 AM

So?

Nintendo has NOTHING except Zelda and Mario at this point. Not enough to sell units above Sony. Third party Wi-Fi isn't until next YEAR.

Seriously, stop looking at everything like a damn fanboy. Start looking at the bigger picture as a BUSINESS. This is why you and Hawk look like fools every time you post crap like this.

What about the problems they're having with the Wii controller? Wouldn't you think that offsets things a tad? Forgot that, didn'tcha?
Looking like a fanboy?

If they launch in the very near future, they'll look good next to Sony's... nothing. I'm not sure you can complain about the Wii not having third party Wi-Fi when Sony has first party nothing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 02:15 AM

Nintendo has NOTHING except Zelda and Mario at this point. Not enough to sell units above Sony.
If they released tomorrow, Nintendo could have only a 3D version of Paperboy and it would be enough to outsell the PS3 (which, y'know, is guaranteed zero sales until it comes out).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 08:12 AM

Looking like a fanboy?

If they launch in the very near future, they'll look good next to Sony's... nothing. I'm not sure you can complain about the Wii not having third party Wi-Fi when Sony has first party nothing.
yet. You keep forgetting that word. "yet".

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 08:30 AM

The PlayStation 3 release in PAL areas has been delayed to March 2007.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe - Virtual Press Office

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The PlayStation 3 release in PAL areas has been delayed to March 2007.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe - Virtual Press Office
Where have you been?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 09:13 AM

Apparently, like the PS3 shipments, the news is taking a while to get there as well.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 09:50 AM

slightly off-topic: TETENAL, I would actually worry about SONY keeping the F1 games exclusive… maybe Microsoft would get them once they got the ECU thingy.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 09:53 AM

More expensive.
More expensive means fewer buyers especially when the competition is much...much cheaper

Propreietary formats
Beta max, UMD, Mini Disc.... all from the same company thats releasing the BR-DVD...all failures.

No online service available at all.
Both the competitors have an online offering on the market today.

Production issues.
Please check...production of Cell and Blue lasers...for more info.

Delayed launch.
Japan and the US get the consoles, and the rest of the world... Europe, M.East, Australia and the rest of Asia....get pushed back beyond the christmas buying frenzy.

And we're the fanboys who look liek "fools" ? mate...take a course in simple economics and contemporary history..... talk business ? get a grip on reality..... the ONLY thing the PS3 has going for it now are better graphics and higher capasity storage. And as we all know... higher specs means better sales, right ?

So take a class in simple economics.... higher prices lower demand....AND....no product on shelves = no sales.

I sincerely hope that isnt too hard to comprehend. if it is...just have a look at the PSP vs DS scenario. And eat the words you had to say about the DS when it was announced...and remember you were the fool in that argument.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 09:54 AM

So are you claiming that the Wii will outsell the PS3 overall?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 09:58 AM

I didn't get the 2006 season game anyway. What pisses me off is that they are always released halfway through the season and at that point I have lost interest in the game already. Although racing games are basically all I play on a console so it's still a big factor in my decision. The first console with a decent racing game that falls under €200 will be my next generation console.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
More expensive.
More expensive means fewer buyers especially when the competition is much...much cheaper

Propreietary formats
Beta max, UMD, Mini Disc.... all from the same company thats releasing the BR-DVD...all failures.

No online service available at all.
Both the competitors have an online offering on the market today.

Production issues.
Please check...production of Cell and Blue lasers...for more info.

Delayed launch.
Japan and the US get the consoles, and the rest of the world... Europe, M.East, Australia and the rest of Asia....get pushed back beyond the christmas buying frenzy.

And we're the fanboys who look liek "fools" ? mate...take a course in simple economics and contemporary history..... talk business ? get a grip on reality..... the ONLY thing the PS3 has going for it now are better graphics and higher capasity storage. And as we all know... higher specs means better sales, right ?

So take a class in simple economics.... higher prices lower demand....AND....no product on shelves = no sales.

I sincerely hope that isnt too hard to comprehend. if it is...just have a look at the PSP vs DS scenario. And eat the words you had to say about the DS when it was announced...and remember you were the fool in that argument.
You kept slamming Japanese numbers down our throats with the DS, while CONVENIENTLY ignoring the US sales which showed the PSP beating the DS.

F-A-N-B-O-Y.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
So are you claiming that the Wii will outsell the PS3 overall?
Does it really matter? It is the quality of games that matter.

Windows outsells Macs is it better?

Cooking on the DS is hardly a better "game" than 99% of the other games out there but it sells for some reason.

I don't care if the 360, the PS3 or the Wii sell more systems, I'm not making money from it. All I care about is the games and all 3 systems are sure to have some good ones.

I am not excited for any PS3 titles I just want that damn blu-ray player. I don't really care about the Wii motion controls I just want Zelda. But the Xbox 360 is kicking ass so currently it is my fav system.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:21 AM

That's not too far from the point I'm trying to make.

Nintendo could have flawless manufacturing and an early launch -- but will that cause it outsell the PS3 over the course of this generation? Nope.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 10:22 AM

See, that's what the Nintnedo fanboys keep forgetting. This whole thing started because *gasp* we said something neutral about Nintendo. So, since then, just like all the other Nintendo fanboys on teh intarweb, they went on the offensive, claiming that everyone that isn't 110% on Nintendo's side is 100% against them.

Sad.

But SWG is right - nobody gives a f about anything but the games and Nintendo has two: Zelda and Mario. THAT'S IT. The PS3 has a hell of a lot more going for it in the long run. Nintendo's problem is that they bank their existence on Zelda and Mario. If there's an online Animal Crossing I'll be all over that, but the fact is, Final Fantasy XIII ain't coming out for the Wii.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 10:22 AM

You kept slamming Japanese numbers down our throats with the DS, while CONVENIENTLY ignoring the US sales which showed the PSP beating the DS.

F-A-N-B-O-Y.
Erm. Hate to burst your bubble but...

http://pspupdates.qj.net/DS-Heats-Up...g/49/aid/62215

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 10:24 AM

Cooking on the DS is hardly a better "game" than 99% of the other games out there but it sells for some reason.

I don't care if the 360, the PS3 or the Wii sell more systems, I'm not making money from it. All I care about is the games and all 3 systems are sure to have some good ones.

I am not excited for any PS3 titles I just want that damn blu-ray player. I don't really care about the Wii motion controls I just want Zelda. But the Xbox 360 is kicking ass so currently it is my fav system.
From the person who continually argued that the Gamecube sucks because of it's market share, and that Nintendo was going out of business because of the Gamecube's market share, this really is an ironic argument.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:24 AM

Would the two of you shutup with the stupid "My system sold more than your system penis comparisons".

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:26 AM

Would the two of you shutup with the stupid "My system sold more than your system penis comparisons".
Why should they listen to someone who hasn't been here as long as them?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:28 AM

From the person who continually argued that the Gamecube sucks because of it's market share, and that Nintendo was going out of business because of the Gamecube's market share, this really is an ironic argument.
No actually, the GameCube didn't sell because:

1) People didn't like the hardware (no dvd, no online, no high-def,".
2) Few good games, little 3rd party support.

There are reasons some things don't sell.

Now shutup already, you sound like a total brainwashed fanboy. What are you going to do if the Wii sells 10,000 more units than the PS3? Get a hard on and walk around with 2 games telling people "I told you so, Nintendo is the best and everyone else sucks even though I don't know because I don't use anything else".

If that will be the best day of your life that is sad. You don't see me saying the PS2 sold 100x of what everyone sold so that makes it the best EVERY FRIGGIN POST!

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:30 AM

The controller didn't lend itself to sports games too incredibly well. That's what a lot of the over 30 crowd play.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2006, 10:31 AM

No actually, the GameCube didn't sell because:

1) People didn't like the hardware (no dvd, no online, no high-def,".
2) Few good games, little 3rd party support.

There are reasons some things don't sell.
That doesn't change my point at all. When Nintendo has low market share you go "OMG Nintendo is dying!" but when it's Sony's market share you compare it to Apple.

I'm not the one that looks like a fanboy.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:33 AM

That's not too far from the point I'm trying to make.

Nintendo could have flawless manufacturing and an early launch -- but will that cause it outsell the PS3 over the course of this generation? Nope.
Even if it did who cares? What does that mean, Sony and Xbox walk around with there heads in shame and announce because of that no more games are coming out for their system?

The only thing it will do is make some Nintendo management richer and give fanboys a boner. It won't make games better, it won't make it high def, it won't do anything positive for the end user. My friends don't come over stand in-front of my system and say "which one of these sold more hardware, I have to know before I decide which I want to play." They say, "Do you have any good games?" Not one person has ever come over to play Pikmin, Zelda or Metroid as those are not pick up and play games. They want the FPS's, the racing games, the GTA whatever.

If anything more market will make Nintendo even more arrogant like as they were before the N64. It ended up costing them and Sony's arrogance might hurt them this time around.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:33 AM

I'm not the only one that looks like a fanboy.
Fixed.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:34 AM

Even if it did who cares? What does that mean, Sony and Xbox walk around with there heads in shame and announce because of that no more games are coming out for their system?
No, but they might eventually pack up shop and leave.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:35 AM

That doesn't change my point at all. When Nintendo has low market share you go "OMG Nintendo is dying!" but when it's Sony's market share you compare it to Apple.

I'm not the one that looks like a fanboy.
Actually you seem to blind yourself every time I make a negative Sony post so I am not going to bother with you.

People prove you wrong constantly with Nintendo, HDTV and GMA 950 cards but you do this "La la la I am not listening Nintendo is the only one who makes good games la la la".

Go nuts, you aren't convincing anyone.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:39 AM

No, but they might eventually pack up shop and leave.
I really doubt that, the Sony brand is sooooo strong in Japan it would take a ton for that to happen. Either way we won't know for at least a few more years.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:40 AM

I really doubt that, the Sony brand is sooooo strong in Japan it would take a ton for that to happen. Either way we won't know for at least a few more years.
True. I'm just concerned Sony pulled a N64 on us.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:50 AM

Well the N64's problem wasn't that it was overpowered or expensive. The problem with it was it used carts, small storage, Nintendo charged and Arm and a leg for games and to 3rd parties, it was underpowered in some regards that it needed upgrades for later games... the 3rd parties ran away. They also re-inforced the kiddy image by coming out with Pokemon yellow systems and no "mature games" till it was too late.

The PS3 problem is that it is expensive, short supply. It still has strong 3rd party support, brand and the hardware if used properly is absolutely killer. It is so odd how people drop $500 on an HD-DVD player, $800 on a video card and $2500 on a game PC but then when you buy a game system, media server, Wifi and High def DVD player suddenly $600 is way to much even though you are getting it cheaper than it cost to make! At the end you also get way way more for your money than the 360 and people don't have an issue with its cost or value.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:51 AM

Well the N64's problem wasn't that it was overpowered or expensive. The problem with it was it used carts, small storage, Nintendo charged and Arm and a leg for games and to 3rd parties, it was underpowered in some regards that it needed upgrades for later games... the 3rd parties ran away. They also re-inforced the kiddy image by coming out with Pokemon yellow systems and no "mature games" till it was too late.

The PS3 problem is that it is expensive, short supply. It still has strong 3rd party support, brand and the hardware if used properly is absolutely killer. It is so odd how people drop $500 on an HD-DVD player, $800 on a video card and $2500 on a game PC but then when you buy a game system, media server, Wifi and High def DVD player suddenly $600 is way to much even though you are getting it cheaper than it cost to make! At the end you also get way way more for your money than the 360 and people don't have an issue with its cost or value.
I meant more in the general sense of "We can do stuff our way, because we're the market leader!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 10:52 AM

Maybe. Time will tell on that. I see where you're going with that, but it's just too early to tell.

There are a lot of other factors nowadays.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 10:53 AM

Maybe. Time will tell on that. I see where you're going with that, but it's just too early to tell.
You're absolutely right. But did I ever cringe when I found out when they were going with the proprietary cell processor.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2006, 10:53 AM

It is so odd how people drop $500 on an HD-DVD player, $800 on a video card and $2500 on a game PC but then when you buy a game system, media server, Wifi and High def DVD player suddenly $600 is way to much even though you are getting it cheaper than it cost to make! At the end you also get way way more for your money than the 360 and people don't have an issue with its cost or value.
BINGO!

This is what the Nintendo fanboys will NEVER understand.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:01 AM

I meant more in the general sense of "We can do stuff our way, because we're the market leader!"
Totally, Sony is really arrogant and make stupid choices, so does Nintendo, so does Xbox. Actually the scary thing is Microsoft seems to make the least when it comes to the Xbox 1 and 2.

But at the end of the day they do have some kick ass products. Some sony stuff I hate (like the walkmans and receivers) but other stuff like, camera's phones, TV's and game systems rock.

Even if the PS3 bombs they have enough money and drive to be around for the PS4.

Personally I would be happiest if there was just ONE game system say the 360 and Nintendo could make games and come out with a wii controller to add to it. In no way shape or form is the Wii hardware better and any of the other systems could add the controller whenever they wanted.

I find it so silly and wasteful that there are 3 home systems and 3 handheld systems. Some of which only have a couple good games on inferior hardware. Mario Cart and Starfox would be 10x better if they were on the PSP.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:06 AM

Totally, Sony is really arrogant and make stupid choices, so does Nintendo, so does Xbox. Actually the scary thing is Microsoft seems to make the least when it comes to the Xbox 1 and 2.
MS has shown a terrific learning curve between the XBOX and the 360

But at the end of the day they do have some kick ass products. Some sony stuff I hate (like the walkmans and receivers) but other stuff like, camera's phones, TV's and game systems rock.
I like my Sony receiver, even if it made my Bose speakers sound like sh¡t.

Even if the PS3 bombs they have enough money and drive to be around for the PS4.
Well, their profit numbers don't look fantastic right now, but I too would be surprised if they didn't attempt a PS4.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2006, 11:06 AM

Fixed.
Agreed. they keep pointing fingers at us that we are fanboys, but when we play the game by their rules (number of games, numbers sold, etc)...that doesnt matter.

Quality matters.... subjective. dispute the quality of a first party Nintendo game.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2006, 11:07 AM

I don't think anyone has accused me of being a fanboy. Mostly because I rip both Nintendo & Sony. Hell, I probably just come off as a hater.

Forum Links
Forum Rules