Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > News is depressing

News is depressing
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2009, 06:17 PM

Does anyone else feel that watching / listening to / reading the news is depressing?

Not just in terms of sad stories, but in terms of not being able to rectify stuff, that nobody really cares, that people are just generally covering their arses, that the guilty go unpunished and the innocents suffer. Maybe this financial crisis has increased the news stories, and yeah I am aware that we always hear the worst, but I just get the impression that 'we' (humans) - and this is of course generalizing, are scum. Pure scum.

OK, its not one story in particular, but the build up of the past few months, what books I've read, who is in power in several countries, treatment of people in supposedly democratic 'first world' countries etc etc. I find myself avoiding the news sites more and more. I find myself in this forum, another Mac centric forum and a game forum. I don't watch the news because I end up stressed. I look at sports results only and swap radio stations when the news comes on. I'll watch TV shows that are Sci-Fi and avoid crime stuff. I ensure that I do not watch films that are based on true stories.

Is this just me?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 06:48 PM

The news is really depressing here in California.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2009, 06:56 PM

Editorials can be damn depressing, but journalists are a pretty fickle bunch. Meanwhile, the normal working man goes about his business as usual.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2009, 07:03 PM

Just take a break from it. If there's any news that requires your immediate attention, you'll hear the sirens. If you regain your interest in what's going on, the news will still be there when you get back.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Is this just me?
It's not just you.

And it's not just news either - the whole world has become darker. Compare, for example, the atrocious piece of dark, depressing shite that's the new BSG and the old, fun BSG. Check how many films released over the last few years are depressing. Examine why James Blunt ever got a record contract.

Too much of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluogv9EGTQ

Not enough of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VusO8OC29tw

It's cool to be concerned about humanity though. Gets you chicks down at the local anti-something march. Oh yes. We must all be concerned. And whiney.

Well fsk that. Dance the night away and tell the miserable bastards to go fsk 'emselves. Gotta push the fun up against their shite or we'll all end up in a grey soviet world.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

RhymesWithOrange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2009, 08:23 PM

Would you rather read about a chimp going bizzarro and ripping and chewing people apart or about a little baby polar bear at the Berlin zoo?

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2009, 08:52 PM

I've never understood how reading about factual events can be "depressing." Most events are out of our control, individually and collectively. As the saying goes, we must learn to accept the things that we cannot change, have courage to change the things that we can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Of course, this does not mean we should not feel compassion and sympathy for those in despair. However, feeling the world's pain does not make it go away...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
The news is really depressing here in California.
Oh I doubt that. I just watched a National Geographic show about the chronic. There's farms of it up in Mendocino. That's good news to me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It's not just you.

And it's not just news either - the whole world has become darker. Compare, for example, the atrocious piece of dark, depressing shite that's the new BSG and the old, fun BSG. Check how many films released over the last few years are depressing. Examine why James Blunt ever got a record contract.

Too much of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluogv9EGTQ

Not enough of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VusO8OC29tw

It's cool to be concerned about humanity though. Gets you chicks down at the local anti-something march. Oh yes. We must all be concerned. And whiney.

Well fsk that. Dance the night away and tell the miserable bastards to go fsk 'emselves. Gotta push the fun up against their shite or we'll all end up in a grey soviet world.
I watched 15 seconds of those videos and I think that's plenty of both of them. Has rock music not made it across the Atlantic yet?

(Also, I find the news that some people would prefer this depressing.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2009, 09:10 PM

I stopped watching the new months ago. I firmly believe that recession is directly a result of speculation that the financial crisis might turn into a recession.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 09:17 PM

Yeah, everyone is doing a damn fine job of talking the country into a recession.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
(Also, I find the news that some people would prefer this depressing.)
See, that's what I'm talking about. Most are not even aware of the darkness which is enveloping everything. Light is sacrificed in the rush for "cool" and "hip".

Consider also the difference between Tiger and Leopard. Tiger's a nice bright experience, Leopard's a dark, miserable experience. Most here probably didn't notice, since "newer is better/cooler/hipper".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Yeah, everyone is doing a damn fine job of talking the country into a recession.
Are you serious ?

You think that all the issues we have have just been fabricated by the news outlets ?

Oh boy, that's gonna be some rude awakening for some...

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 02:09 AM

You're not alone, mattyb. It's often depressing to me as well. Chuckit, as usual, has good advice.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

calverson
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2009, 07:13 AM

The only news that I subscribe to is The Onion.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2009, 07:53 AM

The very business of news is to report misfortune, so if you dwell on all of the negativity, it sure can get depressing. The uncertainty of life, and economic problems many are facing just add to the general morass many are feeling.

No suggestions other then to skip watching/reading the news.
~Mike

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Are you serious ?

You think that all the issues we have have just been fabricated by the news outlets ?

-t
I think the issues we have have been inspired by the news outlets, after the initial financial crash. I think that speculation of a recession by the news outlets led consumers to save money rather than spend it which, in turn, has led to an actual recession (rather than a speculated one) all the layoffs we're seeing.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 23, 2009, 09:49 AM

Just take a break from it. If there's any news that requires your immediate attention, you'll hear the sirens. If you regain your interest in what's going on, the news will still be there when you get back.
2nded. I stopped reading 3 daily newspapers in 2006 and I think my contentment level increased a thousand-fold. If there is anything truly noteworthy everyone will be talking about it and you'll hear about it.

Periodically though, I hit news.google.com and just skim the headlines.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I think that speculation of a recession by the news outlets led consumers to save money rather than spend it which, in turn, has led to an actual recession (rather than a speculated one) all the layoffs we're seeing.
That's BS. The people didn't start saving because the media said times were bad.

People started saving because they started to realize that consumption got them into trouble in the first place, and they want to have a safety blanket in case things get worse.

And even if you disagree: a positive savings rate is a blessing, not a curse.
Our economy like was build to thrive when people got into debt. That's perverse.

-t

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2009, 05:03 AM

I think what Wiskedjak said is important. In the UK at least, I presume that certain people in the US have the same sort of power - Oprah for instance, there is a reporter called Peston that has "... more clout than Alistair Darling". Alistair Darling is the Chancellor of the Exchequer - Treasury Secretary(?). Basically number 2 in the UK Government.

I do not think that the press / media have caused the recession (some would say that in certain areas we are now in depression), but I do not think that they are helping matters.

Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post
I've never understood how reading about factual events can be "depressing." Most events are out of our control, individually and collectively. As the saying goes, we must learn to accept the things that we cannot change, have courage to change the things that we can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Of course, this does not mean we should not feel compassion and sympathy for those in despair. However, feeling the world's pain does not make it go away...
Dunno if you have kids or not, or if you vote or pay taxes. I do and I like to think that instead of forcing others (like nurses for example) to work longer hours for no more pay that 'we' should force those that (for example) are civil servants for senators to work a 40 hour week, reduce their holidays below the three month level and not pay them night-shift bonuses when they don't work the night-shift is a pretty good idea.

Nice quote btw, should we just let priests continue to abuse children then, since its been going on for so long? FFS. What a sorry attitude.

Has rock music not made it across the Atlantic yet?
lol, don't worry Chuckit, Americans will eventually learn to make great music.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Whereas the bankers who have taken three quarters of the worlds economy, stuffed as much as they could into their pockets and made the rest "dissappear" have had no effect at all?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Whereas the bankers who have taken three quarters of the worlds economy, stuffed as much as they could into their pockets and made the rest "dissappear" have had no effect at all?
So, in which bank are all the bankers stashing their ill gotten gains?
Answer: They're not stashing any ill-gotten gains anywhere. They're a scapegoat, a patsy. You don't think that this upcoming G-20 meeting to discuss a "global financial reform" is an accident, do you?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2009, 07:17 AM

Does anyone else feel that watching / listening to / reading the news is depressing?
Yes. That’s why I don’t do it.

Occasionally, I’ll skim something other than the cartoons section in the free papers on the Metro, but that’s it. Watching the news makes me apathetic. I don’t like being apathetic.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2009, 09:37 AM

That's BS. The people didn't start saving because the media said times were bad.

People started saving because they started to realize that consumption got them into trouble in the first place, and they want to have a safety blanket in case things get worse.

Our economy like was build to thrive when people got into debt. That's perverse.

-t
I think you just said the same thing as me, but with different words and a slight twist. We both agree that people decided to save rather than spend. How did they realize that they might be in trouble? Well, from the news, of course. But, I don't think that the vast majority of people were actually spending more than they could afford; perhaps that's just me projecting my own philosophies onto everyone else.

So, do you think that all of these layoffs are just the economy correcting itself for frugal lifestyles? Personally, I think the pendulum has swung a little too far the other way, that people are over-reacting, and that more people are going to get laid off than need be.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 03:57 PM

Are you serious ?

-t
All you have to do is follow what everyone calls the stock market, and what everyone refers to the economy as: The Dow. As of now, it's up 185 points. Does that mean the economy is 185 points better? Nope. The economy doesn't get better or worse depending on the Dow, which most people fail to realize is not the stock market.
So when the Dow goes down, the government and the media talks us in to a recession. How many times did The Dear Leader say the word "crises" in his speech last week? Probably around 40, if memory serves correctly.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2009, 04:01 PM

-t
Okay, try this on. What is consumption? You don't get that shiney iPhone or Macbook for free do you? No. You have to spend money to get it. Now, if you say that spending money = consumption = what got us in to this mess in the first place, how in the living hell will spending another $800,000,000,000 get us out of it? And at the same time, the Dear Leader wants to halve the deficit in four years, all the while spending $800 BILLION of money we don't have to spend our way out of a recession? Where is that money coming from? And what about the interest? Compounded annually?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Feb 24, 2009, 06:55 PM

News can be very depressing which is why I don't watch/read as much of it as I used to. The news media knows that drama sells newspapers and increases viewer ratings. Happy news doesn't sell as well as dramatic news.

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2009, 02:05 AM

Dunno if you have kids or not, or if you vote or pay taxes. I do and I like to think that instead of forcing others (like nurses for example) to work longer hours for no more pay that 'we' should force those that (for example) are civil servants for senators to work a 40 hour week, reduce their holidays below the three month level and not pay them night-shift bonuses when they don't work the night-shift is a pretty good idea.

Nice quote btw, should we just let priests continue to abuse children then, since its been going on for so long? FFS. What a sorry attitude.
System Error.
All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2009, 02:34 AM

Every once in a while, I think it's a good idea to go on a media fast (work-related media ONLY for a week or so). Christians (and I'm sure other religions) advocate these fasts for spiritual reasons, but I think it's useful for anyone, especially information addicts (i.e. most of us).

You can set the specific rules yourself, but one is crucial: NO NEWS. Turn off CNN, FOX News, MSNBC and the rest. Don't visit Drudge. Don't visit Politico. Just stay away from it.

It's like a mental enema.

When I do it, there is no news, no movies, no music (tough), no browsing, no video games, no newspapers or magazines...nothing. It forces you to stop agonizing over every screwed up story you read and forces you to pay attention to the people you live around.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Every once in a while, I think it's a good idea to go on a media fast (work-related media ONLY for a week or so). Christians (and I'm sure other religions) advocate these fasts for spiritual reasons, but I think it's useful for anyone, especially information addicts (i.e. most of us).

You can set the specific rules yourself, but one is crucial: NO NEWS. Turn off CNN, FOX News, MSNBC and the rest. Don't visit Drudge. Don't visit Politico. Just stay away from it.

It's like a mental enema.

When I do it, there is no news, no movies, no music (tough), no browsing, no video games, no newspapers or magazines...nothing. It forces you to stop agonizing over every screwed up story you read and forces you to pay attention to the people you live around.
There is no way that I could do without movies, music or video games. These are my escape tools. I'd have to start smoking again to retain my sanity (still not touched one since 6th Jan).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2009, 07:30 AM

Same here. The movies and the video games I could do without, since I never play video games anyway (yawn) and only watch movies occasionally when I feel I have the time (rare these days). But I couldn’t do without music.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2009, 03:03 PM

Railroader
Banned
Mar 8, 2009, 09:28 PM

And moving to the PWL in:

Forum Links
Forum Rules