Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Tony Blair's major constitutional changes

Tony Blair's major constitutional changes
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 01:29 PM

I doubt this is discussed much in the US but it would be interesting to here everyone's views on this.

Although the UK has always regarded itself as having a separation of powers, until recently this was hardly the case. The executive is (and still will be) drawn from the legislature and the Lord Chancellor who oversaw the Judiciary was a member of the executive who had a seat in the cabinet. The latter is apparently changing.

* The Lord Chancellor after hundreds of years is now being abolished.

* A Department of Constitutional Affairs is being set up to be headed by Lord Falconer-who has never been elected and is there because Blair and him were once flat-mates(!)

*A Supreme Court (exactly like the federal one in the US) to replace the Hosue of Lords (which is the lower chamber of the legislature)

* An independent body to appoint judges- though there are no details on how it's members would be chosen.

Though I think this has the potential to make the political system in the UK more democratic, the lack of detail and the reluctance (or so it would seem) of Blair to explain these reforms in detail makes me wonder.

If the appointments process becomes political then I think this would seriously damage the Judicial system. Not to mention that these are major constitutional changes that were informally announced at about 6:00pm on a Thursday evening.

Thoughts anyone?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2003, 01:53 PM

Any change in the system that replaces elected officials with appointed officials should be vigorously opposed. Is the house of lords currently elected in Britain, or are those seats still inherited?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Any change in the system that replaces elected officials with appointed officials should be vigorously opposed. Is the house of lords currently elected in Britain, or are those seats still inherited?

CV
I agree. The replacement of elected officials with appointed officials is exactly what these reforms boil down to- and so should be explained. However although there are many calls for an explanation from all sides they do not specifially place this as the reason for doing so, rather the fact that they were made without any consultation with other party leaders or even the Queen. Although this is important I don't think this is at the heart of the issue.

Regarding the House of Lords, this was also the center of debate earlier this year. I think most hereditary peers were thrown out. A vote in the House of Commons on how the Lords should be chosen was inconclusive. The vote gave a number of options for percentages ranging from having completely appointed members to completely elected members. All votes returned NO to every option. Now this issue has died away, i think the majority of them are now appointed whilst the government wonders how to tackle this issue, they say it is still open for reform but I doubt anything will happen before the next general election.

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
...the Hosue of Lords (which is the lower chamber of the legislature)...
The House of Lords is (as yet) the Upper Chamber.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2003, 06:53 PM

As far as positions like judges and justicies, appointment actually seems to be better than election, especially when they are appointed for life as they are in the US. In such a system, even though the appointments may be political, the actual justices rarely if ever act with political motives. Why should they? It's not like they actually need the continuing support of the people who appointed them, they'll continue to hold their office regardless of how one party or the other feels about them. In a system like the US Supreme Court, you generally find that the people in the appointed positions really do try and do their job properly and honestly.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2003, 10:20 PM

England doesn't have a constutution, does it? I thbought it was all tradition and law.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
England doesn't have a constutution, does it? I thbought it was all tradition and law.
The tradition and law forms up something much like an unwritten constitution.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by christ:
The House of Lords is (as yet) the Upper Chamber.
Hehehe, it might as well be the lower chamber, it doesn't do anything significant if you compare it to the Commons.
But yes, you are officially correct. My mistake.

Theo Croal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 01:14 PM

We do have a constitution, an uncodified one, meaning that it is not confined to one single document, the opposite of the american bill of rights which is codified - confined to one single document

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2012, 03:47 PM

AHHH Zombies!
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules