Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virus scanning and .Mac, Mail, and Safari??

Virus scanning and .Mac, Mail, and Safari??
libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 06:11 PM

Does anyone know if mail received through my .Mac account is scanned for viruses on Apple's .Mac servers? I know they have a junk mail filter. Also, I think it would be great if Apple included a built in virus checker in Mail and also in Safari. The two most common places I'm going to get a virus is from e-mail and downloading stuff from the web. It seems simpler to just scan each item as it's downloaded...and detect a problem from the start than to download the virus and not catch it until the next time I run Virex. What does everyone think? Maybe in the next version of Mail? I dunno.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

libraryguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
Does anyone know if mail received through my .Mac account is scanned for viruses on Apple's .Mac servers? I know they have a junk mail filter. Also, I think it would be great if Apple included a built in virus checker in Mail and also in Safari. The two most common places I'm going to get a virus is from e-mail and downloading stuff from the web. It seems simpler to just scan each item as it's downloaded...and detect a problem from the start than to download the virus and not catch it until the next time I run Virex. What does everyone think? Maybe in the next version of Mail? I dunno.
Hmmm...I guess no one is interested in this topic. I know that there are very very few viruses on the Mac but I think Apple should include these features just for the sake of making it even more secure...and able to tout that it is such.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by libraryguy:
Hmmm...I guess no one is interested in this topic. I know that there are very very few viruses on the Mac but I think Apple should include these features just for the sake of making it even more secure...and able to tout that it is such.
Virex should be improved so it can detect viruses "on the fly" like Virus Barrier can. The only problem with Virus Barrier was it's auto-update feature which hosed my disk, so I stopped using it.

Oh, and Virex should be able to update it's definition files from BEHIND firewalls!

OpenStep
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 04:15 PM

It sounds like a good idea, sort of like how hotmail scans attachments automatically. Virex sucks bad, hopefully they are working on a better solution.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 05:06 PM

A "real" virus scan utility can already do this. Several of the PC ones already do this including McAffee's (the maker of Virex) VirusScan.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules