Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > would you go to MWNY 03 even without Jobs' keynote?

would you go to MWNY 03 even without Jobs' keynote?
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 01:04 AM

For me, I've been to every MWNY and got into all the keynotes since Jobs took over. (I live in NYC)

now without Steve Jobs' keynote, I might just skip it...dunno

you?

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2003, 02:03 AM

I live in NJ. Since I never saw SJ PERSONALLY at a MW keynote in NY anyway (only Boston and Seybold NY) I'd go anyway.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 02:10 AM

yeah, great time to just look at tech and hang with friends
snappy

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
yeah, great time to just look at tech and hang with friends
Exactly.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2003, 02:55 AM

I'd certainly still go. I've never been to one, anyhow, and I'd much rather play with all of the machines than see him.

Has anyone ever met him here? How is he?

OreoCookie
Mar 22, 2003, 03:16 AM

Since we used to watch the web broadcast in our Mac user group, there is little to see this time.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 06:42 PM

It just wouldn't be the same with Steve Jobs and Apple. I would wonder just how many vendors would attend without Apple?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2003, 06:44 PM

wouldnt it be called something different than macworld expo? ya know, since apple isn't there

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2003, 07:05 PM

Nope. I've never been to one but always wanted to go...but without the keynote it's not worth it for me.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
For me, I've been to every MWNY and got into all the keynotes since Jobs took over. (I live in NYC)
Depends on whether or not there will be a Netter's Dinner.

I'd also like to see the SoHo store.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2003, 07:32 PM

I thought it was moving to Boston this year

I'm hoping I'm wrong. I've been meaning to get my ass to a Mac World for a while and Boston would be impossible, but NYC?

MikeM

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2003, 11:53 PM

The move to Boston is next year. I heard the marketing guy from Javits, the New York convention center, speak recently and they are bummed about losing Macworld. He mentioned Macworld specifically and publicly, saying that Javits could not offer the same 2004 deal that Boston offered the show organizers -- free space. New York's economy is bad enough and losing this show means a lot to our restaurants and hotels during the Summer. It's a shame to lose it, but New York's loss is Boston's gain.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 12:00 AM

Wish it would stay in NYC.

Makes sense really. The most populated region is between Boson, DC, and Phili... A middle ground is NYC. It's a reasonable drive from 2 of the 3... and the 3rd isn't impossible... It can be done in a few hours, provided those hours aren't rush hour.

I just think Boston limits the audience to much. NJ and PA are very populated states as well.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 12:13 AM

Well I guess I'll HAVE TO go to this MWNY even if there is no SJ there or I'll never make one

Speaking of which, what does it usually cost for a one day pass or whatever? I just plan on going one day to look around mostly.

Prices on that other side of the hudson river are REDICULOUS I haven't even been into the city in years even though it's so close.

MikeM

itistoday
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 12:15 AM

no. at san francisco they best event was the keynote. i won't go again if there's no keynote.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I'd certainly still go. I've never been to one, anyhow, and I'd much rather play with all of the machines than see him.

Has anyone ever met him here? How is he?
I can't say that i met him, but i was a foot aaway frm him once and in 2001, i got one of his water bottles...On the bottle label is a contest, "Win the use of a private jet."

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2003, 01:26 AM

Steve apparently stepped on my former girlfriend's foot when he toured the exhibition floor at MWNY 2000.

I think the keynote this year will be at WDCC. I also willin to bet that unlike previous WDCC keynotes that it will be streamed.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I just think Boston limits the audience to much.
Ironically, the show organizers believe the exact opposite to be true, saying that Javits is relatively small -- the 16th largest convention center in the U.S. -- and that Boston's brand new, much larger center will help bring more people to Macworld, not limit the audience the way Javits does.

They *kinda* have a point. When was the last time New York ranked 16th in anything? Javits needs a major redo and expansion, truth be told. Getting the Olympics also gets us a new, bigger Javits so my fingers are crossed for the 2012 bid.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by cube-dude:
Ironically, the show organizers believe the exact opposite to be true, saying that Javits is relatively small -- the 16th largest convention center in the U.S. -- and that Boston's brand new, much larger center will help bring more people to Macworld, not limit the audience the way Javits does.

They *kinda* have a point. When was the last time New York ranked 16th in anything? Javits needs a major redo and expansion, truth be told. Getting the Olympics also gets us a new, bigger Javits so my fingers are crossed for the 2012 bid.
Don't count on any more than a sympathy vote for 2012 olympics.

NYC's infrustructure is so far behind, it can't really tolerate it's own population (look at the traffic and commute for people now). It's critical infrustructure is further behind than any other city. Now that's partly to it's size of course.... But it's been said over and over, that it's impossible to bring it up to date within that time period. And that was before 9/11... forget what the extra security does. That sets NYC back 2x as much.

As much as I would like it, the Olympic committee would make a huge mistake to let NYC host in 2012. There is no way the city could handle it.

NYC's subway system is ancient and outdated... expansion is to slow of a process due to various other obsticles to expand it any quicker.

The streets are what they are (not much you can do to improve them)...

The population is gigantic (again not much you can do for that).

The locations open to build are limited, creating large distances between things... in a busy city, with an infrustructure that will never be able to handle it... that's a big problem.

Then throw in the fact that security today is crippling the city... Due to all the security, traffic it creates etc... there are places the delivery services haven't been able to reach on a daily bases over the past few days.... Now if delivery services can't manage with all the problems... how can anyone else?

NYC is a mess to have the Olympics. It's a city that grew to big for it's infrustructure... and is just starting to compensate. While the city itself may be used to it... and not view it as an issue.... If your an outsider... it is a big problem.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
I can't say that i met him, but i was a foot aaway frm him once and in 2001, i got one of his water bottles...On the bottle label is a contest, "Win the use of a private jet."

I hope that Steve isn't using Evian anymore. Boycott France! They are on the wrong side of History as happens more often that not!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules