Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple has really battened down the hatches on the Panther rumors

Apple has really battened down the hatches on the Panther rumors
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2003, 03:38 AM

I remember several months before Jaguar was released, there were dev builds all over Carracho and the featureset was pretty widely known.

Yet only a year later, we're all scratching our heads about Panther.

Good job, Apple.

Damn NDAs.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Vi0
Baninated
May 11, 2003, 03:41 AM

I have Panther, know all about it, and my insider knowledge starts at a bidding of $1000. PM me if you can afford the details.

funkboy
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by Vi0:
I have Panther, know all about it, and my insider knowledge starts at a bidding of $1000. PM me if you can afford the details.
And if the above is true, you've already violated your NDA

Happy litigation!

Vi0
Baninated
May 11, 2003, 04:04 AM

bah, to hell with lawyers.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
I remember several months before Jaguar was released, there were dev builds all over Carracho and the featureset was pretty widely known.

Yet only a year later, we're all scratching our heads about Panther.

Good job, Apple.

Damn NDAs.
I have a copy of Panther, and I really enjoy the speculation on the feature set, especially the crap they write on Loop Rumors. All I can tell you is that it supports a system wide pink interface (not as bad as it sounds) and the widgets look somewhat like bassets licorice all-sorts, also you can type in an IP address into the connect to... menu and get the blood type of the admin.

Multiple simultaneous logins are available through a system of strategically arranged mirrors.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
that is because by this time (closely) last year, WWDC had occured where the developers got their copies of Jaguar Prerelease Build on those pretty CD's...yet, Apple has moved WWDC this year, so we have to wait longer to get any news on Panther

once WWDC in june comes and passes, you will be able to get your illegal software, (even though it is prerelease, you can get it and pay for it, if you REALLY want it, otherwise, get wet over screenshots)

vasu
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 11:02 AM

Nothing was known about Jaguar really before last years WWDC either. And all those builds on Carracho were after WWDC as well.

Try to find news and information about Jaguar posted before May 2002, you'll be hard pressed to find anything...

WWDC was pushed back a month this year, which is why it seems to be taking so long for info.

-vasu

kman42
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
Nothing was known about Jaguar really before last years WWDC either. And all those builds on Carracho were after WWDC as well.

Try to find news and information about Jaguar posted before May 2002, you'll be hard pressed to find anything...

WWDC was pushed back a month this year, which is why it seems to be taking so long for info.

-vasu
Yup. That's how it happened. I remember reading the 'live' coverage offered by some of the sites and participating in a chat simultaneously. We all went apeshit when Steve mentioned Quartz Extreme and the other 129 features.

kman

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 03:53 PM

Nah, I knew alot about Jag last year before WWDC, Carracho had a new build about every 2 weeks. I remeber seeing my first preveiw of The throw around minimise-in-place windows and I remember saying, that looks cool. Then they killed it about 2 build before WWDC.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Nah, I knew alot about Jag last year before WWDC, Carracho had a new build about every 2 weeks. I remeber seeing my first preveiw of The throw around minimise-in-place windows and I remember saying, that looks cool. Then they killed it about 2 build before WWDC.
Thats quite interesting because there were no builds seeded to anyone outside of Apple before WWDC.

JLL
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by agasthya:
Thats quite interesting because there were no builds seeded to anyone outside of Apple before WWDC.
Hmm? I guess that's why Think Secret had images of Jaguar in December 2001
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I have a copy of Panther, and I really enjoy the speculation on the feature set, especially the crap they write on Loop Rumors. All I can tell you is that it supports a system wide pink interface (not as bad as it sounds) and the widgets look somewhat like bassets licorice all-sorts, also you can type in an IP address into the connect to... menu and get the blood type of the admin.

Multiple simultaneous logins are available through a system of strategically arranged mirrors.
LOL

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 11, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
Hmm? I guess that's why Think Secret had images of Jaguar in December 2001

OOps, my bad. 6B11 was the only build that was leaked IIRC. And it didn't have anything great, just a bunch of pictures of the new Disk Copy app...no iChat, no QE, nothing exciting - thats why everyone was blown away by the WWDC announcements.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2003, 05:53 PM

You've got mail

The evident changes to the Finder are visible in a new Info button which can be added to the tool bar...
WOW! Thats incredible!
we don't have time to stop for gas

dettociao
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 07:36 PM

*cough* bullshit *cough*
-.-
12" SuperDrive

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2003, 07:36 PM

I think it may be possible that Apple may be moving to a more efficient filing system rather than HFS+.

It would seem like a logical direction to go but I dont know how easy it would be to implement or what it would do for compatiblity (backward). It might be a long way off yet but in my short time as an apple user (circa 18 months) they always seem to supprise.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

beb
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 09:05 PM

I have my doubts that Panther will ship in September. I'm almost willing to wager that it'll ship far earlier than that.

One thing about the last shareholder's meeting:

Thinksecret: "A concern about hardware speeds was expressed. Jobs first made point that clock speed does not necessarily tell the whole story, and that even Intel is emphasizing diminishing importance of clock speed as it release new portable processors that are faster at slower clock speeds. He then acknowledged that it is a problem, and that Apple is very aware of the issue. He said "there will be a time" when Apple would speak about its relationship with Motorola, and that the particular shareholder who asked the question would be invited, if he desired."

This, coupled with IBM's Gobi G3 series with Altivec possibly being attached to it and certainly coupled with newer G3 processors means something.

I kinda wonder what Cisco will do, or even Xerox who both use G4s in various products.

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2003, 09:55 PM

I have my doubts that Panther will ship in September. I'm almost willing to wager that it'll ship far earlier than that.
I don't think Panther will ship until the 970-based machines are ready. I don't see that happening until September at the earliest.

I kinda wonder what Cisco will do, or even Xerox who both use G4s in various products.
Cisco, and I'm sure Xerox too, uses an embedded version of the PowerPC - not the consumer chip that Apple uses. As far as I know, Apple is the only volume purchaser of the general purpose G4.

Wade

Forum Links
Forum Rules