Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > itunes won't load -- not valid library file

itunes won't load -- not valid library file
Dubstar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2003, 06:46 PM

i was running itunes 3 when my computer crashed (mdd 1.25 10.2.1). i restarted and the following message appeared at start up and when i launch itunes -- "the itunes music library file cannot be read because it does not appear to be a valid library file."

i have a 20 gig ipod running the most current update..

any solutions? i'd like to listen to music again.

libraryguy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Dubstar:
i was running itunes 3 when my computer crashed (mdd 1.25 10.2.1). i restarted and the following message appeared at start up and when i launch itunes -- "the itunes music library file cannot be read because it does not appear to be a valid library file."

i have a 20 gig ipod running the most current update..

any solutions? i'd like to listen to music again.
I had the same problem a while ago. I had to delete the iTunes Library file in the music/itunes folder in my home directory. You'll lose all your playlists but you'll be able to run itunes again.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world." -George Washington Carver

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2003, 07:10 PM

Sad to say, but it's true...when you delete the corrupt library file, you'll lose your playlists, play-counts, and star-ratings.

However, if you currently let iTunes automatically orgainze your music, it will reorganize fairly easily when a new library file is created.

This happened to me in January of this year. Each week since then I have gone into my iTunes Music folder and made a duplicate copy of "iTunes Music Library File" and "iTunes Music Library.xml", and save them to a seperate folder. That way, if the library file becomes corrupt again, I can use a back-up copy that is (mostly) up-to-date.

-Josh

Dubstar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2003, 07:33 PM

Thanks

Dubstar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2003, 09:16 PM

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules