Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New PithHelmet fixes Safari crashes

New PithHelmet fixes Safari crashes
DewD
Nov 27, 2008, 03:59 PM

I just downloaded the updated version of PithHelmet , v 2.8.4 , released Nov 26. It appears to resolve the issue of Safari 3.2/ 3.2.1 crashing right and left. Read on....

But here's the revelation: the release notes for Pith Helmet 2.8.4 say it is written for Leopard 10.5 , but I am running Tiger and installed it on my PowerPC eMac machine. And it works . Been running Safari for over an hour without a single glitch , and I even tested it on sites I know are Javascript intensive and us lots of Flash and everything else I could think of , including download and video sites. Still no glitches.

I hope this holds up. Safari 3.2.1 is definitely WAY faster than Firefox 3.0.4 on this old G4 Tiger machine now, and starts up quicker . That has not been the case before now.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2008, 08:35 AM

Glad to hear that PH works on a Tiger/PPC. Well, at least in some cases.

Thanks for posting and please let us know if you experience any changes.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

David Lee
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2008, 03:32 PM

An extension to the crashing with Safari 3.2.x: Have you tried using the following terminal command?
sudo update_prebinding -force -root /
The resulting error message, something like "too many errors" may or not be involved in the crashes. I am not an expert, but errors in the prebinding does sound serious to me. I have had 3 G4s running Tiger show this error after the update, but one of the machines also has leopard installed on another HD with no errors shown. I had no plugins installed at all in either Library/Input Managers folder and Safari was relatively stable even under those prebinding error conditions. Not sure of what to make of this, is it something to be concerned about or not?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2008, 03:54 AM

Leopard doesn't use prebinding, so it's not surprising it wouldn't be complaining about it. In general, prebinding failures will only slow down your launch times slightly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules