Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > TCP Receive Window ( RWIN )

TCP Receive Window ( RWIN )
f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 06:03 PM

A. Tethered to EDGE phone via Bluetooth
TCP Receive Window (RWIN): 8192
B. Connected to a Cable Modem via Ethernet
TCP Receive Window (RWIN): 65535

Here's my question: How can I increase the RWIN for port A (the EDGE phone)? Both IPNetTunerX and RMAC don't seem to do anything.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2005, 06:34 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bluetooth connection (or the phone itself) was sort of "narrow" in terms of RWIN capability. 8192 might be as big as you can get.

So far, the best thing I've found to mess with networking internals like the RWIN is a little utility called "RMAC." Look at this Broadband Reports FAQ page (in the answer to the first question) for a link. Yes, the utility's help is in Japanese, but the interface is in English, so I don't think that anyone who knows what a "RWIN" is will have any problem with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bluetooth connection (or the phone itself) was sort of "narrow" in terms of RWIN capability. 8192 might be as big as you can get.
Apple seems to have optimized the PPP RWIN for 56K modems. The problem is that EDGE modems can easily blast past 170 kbps. 8192 bytes of receive buffer are just not enough.

I've tried fiddling around with RMAC, but that seems to change only the Ethernet RWIN value.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2005, 09:00 PM

I have found a simple and yet brilliant solution, which this screen is too small to show.

Forum Links
Forum Rules