Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari and Unique hits

Safari and Unique hits
b33faroni
Dec 19, 2005, 08:11 PM

I noticed something on a site that logs unique hits. On PC browsers when you go there it logs one unique hit and thats it. However, when I run safari I noticed that everytime I log off/put my PB to sleep and sign back online (56k aol...) that it views it as another unique hit. Does anyone know what script or whatnot that apple runs when the computer is logged off/on or put to sleep/awaken that seems to wipe out the history (not as in the actual history, but that it gives another unique hit). Just wondering as the site is one of those points per unique hits that I can exchange for free merch. Thanks for any help.

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 09:32 PM

If you are using the "private browsing" feature of the newer versions of Safari, and if the site is logging you based on your IP address + cookie, then you might well be able to log more unique hits than otherwise. It's really hard to say what is going on because the developer of the site is in control of the algorithm that decides what is "unique". If your IP address changes between sleep/wake, the change in IP is what is causing it to be logged. Usually, an IP address is not considered unique in itself because people behind a NAT router may all be identified by the same IP address, so a combo with some other parameter is used to further "uniqueify" the user.

Apart from "private browsing" I can't think of any reason their logger would perform so miserably aside from poor programming or perhaps a reliance on some ActiveX control that isn't available on Macs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 22, 2005, 01:42 PM

Application questions go in the Applications forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules