Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Invading Canada won't be like invading Iraq...

Invading Canada won't be like invading Iraq...
f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2005, 09:38 AM

Raiding the Icebox

Behind Its Warm Front, the United States Made Cold Calculations to Subdue Canada

By Peter Carlson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 30, 2005; Page C01

Invading Canada won't be like invading Iraq: When we invade Canada, nobody will be able to grumble that we didn't have a plan.

The United States government does have a plan to invade Canada. It's a 94-page document called "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan -- Red," with the word SECRET stamped on the cover. It's a bold plan, a bodacious plan, a step-by-step plan to invade, seize and annex our neighbor to the north. It goes like this:

First, we send a joint Army-Navy overseas force to capture the port city of Halifax, cutting the Canadians off from their British allies.

Then we seize Canadian power plants near Niagara Falls, so they freeze in the dark.

Then the U.S. Army invades on three fronts -- marching from Vermont to take Montreal and Quebec, charging out of North Dakota to grab the railroad center at Winnipeg, and storming out of the Midwest to capture the strategic nickel mines of Ontario.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Navy seizes the Great Lakes and blockades Canada's Atlantic and Pacific ports.

At that point, it's only a matter of time before we bring these Molson-swigging, maple-mongering Zamboni drivers to their knees! Or, as the official planners wrote, stating their objective in bold capital letters: "ULTIMATELY TO GAIN COMPLETE CONTROL."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122901412.html

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2005, 09:52 AM

Why would we want Canada? All we would get are a bunch of bad hockey teams, a province full of people who think they're French, and some beer.

Although I wonder if we can trade Buffalo for Vancouver?

edit: Had to chuckle at this:
Out in Winnipeg -- the Manitoba capital, whose rail yards were slated to be seized in the plan -- Brad Salyn, the city's director of communications, said he didn't think Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz knew anything about War Plan Red: "You know he would have no clue about what you're talking about, eh?

"I'm sure Winnipeggers will stand up tall in defense of our country," Mayor Katz said later. "We have many, many weapons."

What kind of weapons?

"We have peashooters, slingshots and snowballs," he said, laughing.

But the Canadians' best weapon, Katz added, is their weather. "It gets to about minus-50 Celsius with a wind chill," he said. "It will be like Napoleon's invasion of Russia. I'm quite convinced that you'll meet your Waterloo on the banks of the Assiniboine River."

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 09:55 AM

not really necessary to invade, we can have a "wood for food" program administered by the UN.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 30, 2005, 09:58 AM

No Blood For Maple Syrup!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
No Blood For Maple Syrup!

I can see the bumper stickers and protests now (with me among them).
We'll be waving giant tree branches and shouting "think of the saplings".

One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 30, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
"think of the saplings"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2006, 12:16 PM

It would be less expensive for the US to send over a ton of people, have them stay until such time that they have voting rights in Canada, then vote to allow Canada to be annexed by the US.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2006, 12:30 PM

I say trade the dakotas for New Brunswick. We'll add it to Maine.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2006, 01:16 PM

Some people are bored out like it is a concern...

So far, all US invasions of Canada have been met in kind.

I don't see why it would be any different today, or tomorrow.

"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2006, 02:55 PM

And considering the last time this war plan was updated was in 1934-and it was declassified in 1974-I don't think anyone has to worry about it.

There's probably a war plan for invading and subduing California-and it's probably up to date! Ya never know...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2006, 04:33 AM

like to point out, this made the paper and Canada actually had a invasion plan 10 years before that US one too.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 04:00 PM

It has already been invaded economically not physically. What the Americans want from us, we already have given it to them. Our best people go work in the United States for better wages and better conditions and the Americans possess 80% of our economy.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 05:43 AM

Actually I think China owns 80% of our economy, as is the case in the US to lol. And as the dollar gets stronger the trend of people going down south will change. Already people are moving back.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 12:09 PM

No they are not. 500,000 Canadians live in the United States, and do not give me the s..t about health care. You do not live in a country for the simple reason it is easy to get health care. The best of every profession end up in the United States after they realized they get better salary and can get great living conditions.

Athens don't you want to live in the U.S. by any chance.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2006, 01:03 PM

Better salaries in the U.S. come in many cases from the employers being able to cut costs on health care insurance. There are also some companies that are in the U.S. but not Canada, so if you want to work in a particular field, you may need to go south. As an example, my mom's supervisor in the ad agency she worked at in Detroit made the drive across the Ambasador Bridge every day from Windsor because there were no significant (or at least significant enough) ad agencies in that part of Ontario. This was almost 30 years ago, so considering the way things were in the late 1970s, I can't believe it was because this guy was secretly sneaking himself into permanent residence (he still lives in the Windsor area today).

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
No they are not. 500,000 Canadians live in the United States, and do not give me the s..t about health care. You do not live in a country for the simple reason it is easy to get health care. The best of every profession end up in the United States after they realized they get better salary and can get great living conditions.

Aren't you the same person who 5 years ago was bitching about their life in the middle of nowhere Canada and saying when you moved to the US you would be alright cuz it is all better?

How did the move go?

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 02:46 PM

The best of every profession end up in the United States after they realized they get better salary and can get great living conditions.
I am sure there are GREAT people on BOTH sides of the man made divide.

We need to stop thinking as "US vs THEM" in a competing way. We are very similar. More so than others would like to admit.

Why should an imaginary line seperate us and make us compete against each other?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2006, 02:53 PM

Well said, Kevin. I grew up near the border; the CBC was as familiar to me as ABC, The Friendly Giant (yep, I'm dating myself here!) was on as often as Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room. I never felt there was any real difference between Canadians and U.S. citizens (except that Canadians demanded cleaner streets ), and I still don't. We have different but linked economies, enormously closely linked social systems, and a shared heritage that transcends any differences. Why be antagonistic on a person-to-person basis?

One thing I didn't mention about the war plan that started this thread: in the 1930s the U.S. was by law not only neutral but isolationist. The whole point of the update to the war plan was probably to keep that statutory isolation intact. When Europe started spiraling down the pooper everything changed...

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 02:57 PM

I think we should go back to being isolationists IMHO.

No good deed gets unpunished.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 07:40 PM

Hell NO! and btw just about as many Americans live in Canada. your not very bright

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
your not very bright
Well she IS a woman you know.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Well said, Kevin. I grew up near the border; the CBC was as familiar to me as ABC, The Friendly Giant (yep, I'm dating myself here!) was on as often as Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room. I never felt there was any real difference between Canadians and U.S. citizens (except that Canadians demanded cleaner streets ), and I still don't. We have different but linked economies, enormously closely linked social systems, and a shared heritage that transcends any differences. Why be antagonistic on a person-to-person basis?

One thing I didn't mention about the war plan that started this thread: in the 1930s the U.S. was by law not only neutral but isolationist. The whole point of the update to the war plan was probably to keep that statutory isolation intact. When Europe started spiraling down the pooper everything changed...
The only real difference I find is social attitudes. Canadians the majority is in the middle, the US the majority leans either left or right. And thats enough for me to stay here And no mon I have no desire to live in the US. I did a personal study last year comparing the cost of living to wages and found there is no difference. The US has lower income tax but the higher rate of energy, insurance and other factors in cost of living, and this is excluding paying for excellent medical insurance I found even with the slightly higher taxes here, I still got more from it and still had more disposable income here at home. As I said a dozen times before. You have never even been to the United States mon, you are running purely off the internet, books and TV.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 07:46 PM

oops dp

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 07:47 PM

Well she IS a woman you know.

Ya but still, some times she makes Rob look good

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 08:50 PM

Hell NO! and btw just about as many Americans live in Canada. your not very bright
Umm, you're not very bright either, pal.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 09:16 PM

The only real difference I find is social attitudes. Canadians the majority is in the middle, the US the majority leans either left or right. And thats enough for me to stay here
You obviously haven't figured out that "middle" "left" and "right" are all relative terms. The majority in every country are in the middle of that country's politics.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
You obviously haven't figured out that "middle" "left" and "right" are all relative terms. The majority in every country are in the middle of that country's politics.
I agree most countries populations are in the middle except extreme countries like Iran, THe USA. Americans are pretty split, either don't care or are Democrats or Republican. Please show me a party that is in the middle of the two?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Umm, you're not very bright either, pal.
and thats just a jab or you have anything to add. Like no its not true or yes its true. Like what are you trying to say here?

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 09:47 PM

I agree most countries populations are in the middle except extreme countries like Iran, THe USA. Americans are pretty split, either don't care or are Democrats or Republican. Please show me a party that is in the middle of the two?
What he is saying is, most are moderate Democrats, or moderate Republicans.

The Extremes of the groups are in the minority. Even though they seem to be the vocal majority.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 09:53 PM

Americans may want to consider moving to Canada to escape the Mexicans.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Americans may want to consider moving to Canada to escape the Mexicans.
I don't know about that, they would escape the Mexicans and be surrounded by Chinese Personally I think Mexican is easier to read and write hehe

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2006, 10:20 PM

No, you aren't getting it.

What I thought you would get, but you obviously have not is that the "middle" is in the the "middle" of any country's politics by definition. But that left and right are not absolute terms that maintain the same meaning across different countries. They are conventions, heavily dependent on context which varies from year to year, country to country. "Middle" is even more relative, since it is nothing but a statement about where the center of mass is between the "left" and "right" of a given political spread. There will be a spread in every country, but that spread will be different. And somewhere in the middle of that spread is a middle.

So your statement about comparing the "middle" in Canada with the "middle" in the US is doubly nonsensical. The center of the political spectrum in Canada isn't where the center of the political spectrum is in the US, dispite the fact that culturally the US and Canada are about as close as any two countries in the world. The political issues, history, and frames of reference are still different. The Canadian "right" isn't the same "right" as the US "right" and nor is the Canadian "left" the same as the US "left." The history is different, cultural frames of reference different, constitution different, and so on. Because of all that, the issues that divide each respective countries politically are also different. Because the polticial spectrum isn't the same, any statement about where the majority might align along that spectrum will also be different. You cannot treat relative terms like absolutes. Canadian society and politics is not interchangable with US, and vice versa.

What your statement actually said was simply that you feel more at home with the politics in Canada. To which most people would say, yes of course, that is what you are familiar with.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:24 PM

oh that craps. In the us the gap between rich and poor, have and have nots is growing every year. There is no real middle class any more but a have and have not class. Same goes with pollitics. your ether a bush loving gun swinging my money is my money red neck or the other guy. I have dozens of Americans on my MSN list and I speak to many Americans every night at work and its all pretty much the same... Even on these boards is shows.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 10:29 PM

meh I don't think that wide brushes covers most of Americans Athens.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 10:36 PM

Please. All countries have plans to take over almost every other country in the world.

I know Canada's plan for the US already. If they ever attacked us, we'd just launch a few of the thousands of nukes we have stored in the Northwest, and Rockies

I know they all say we don't have them, but in reality what country is going to manufacture nukes for the US without at least having double or tripple as many as they send to them?
( Last edited by kmkkid; Jan 4, 2006 at 10:42 PM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:39 PM

oh we have them. I know

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 10:43 PM

oh we have them. I know
Not the one in your pants sweetcakes

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
Not the one in your pants sweetcakes
so now im a sweetcake

are you hitting on me

The one in my pants is a torpedo, nothing radioactive in it, just very reactive

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 10:47 PM

so now im a sweetcake

are you hitting on me

The one in my pants is a torpedo, nothing radioactive in it, just very reactive

Well it's not in the workplace, so it's permitted right

Just trying to break up a thread that will eventually burn to the ground is all

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2006, 10:49 PM

You two sound like two jr high kids. It's so cute.

And it's not even spring.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:50 PM

and I thought you went to bed Kevin, is km and I making to much noise for you to sleep

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 10:51 PM

You two sound like two jr high kids. It's so cute.

And it's not even spring.
It's felt like it here for the past 2 weeks. I'm scared a wicked storm is brewing. It's never this warm here without a blizzard around the corner.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:51 PM

It's felt like it here for the past 2 weeks. I'm scared a wicked storm is brewing. It's never this warm here without a blizzard around the corner.
agree

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 10:52 PM

and I thought you went to bed Kevin, is km and I making to much noise for you to sleep

Yeah, sorry Kevin, I am quite the howler monkey.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:54 PM

oh really .... sure your not a bottom?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 10:55 PM

dayum sure.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 10:58 PM

r u a top?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
No, you aren't getting it.

What I thought you would get, but you obviously have not is that the "middle" is in the the "middle" of any country's politics by definition. But that left and right are not absolute terms that maintain the same meaning across different countries. They are conventions, heavily dependent on context which varies from year to year, country to country. "Middle" is even more relative, since it is nothing but a statement about where the center of mass is between the "left" and "right" of a given political spread. There will be a spread in every country, but that spread will be different. And somewhere in the middle of that spread is a middle.

So your statement about comparing the "middle" in Canada with the "middle" in the US is doubly nonsensical. The center of the political spectrum in Canada isn't where the center of the political spectrum is in the US, dispite the fact that culturally the US and Canada are about as close as any two countries in the world. The political issues, history, and frames of reference are still different. The Canadian "right" isn't the same "right" as the US "right" and nor is the Canadian "left" the same as the US "left." The history is different, cultural frames of reference different, constitution different, and so on. Because of all that, the issues that divide each respective countries politically are also different. Because the polticial spectrum isn't the same, any statement about where the majority might align along that spectrum will also be different. You cannot treat relative terms like absolutes. Canadian society and politics is not interchangable with US, and vice versa.

What your statement actually said was simply that you feel more at home with the politics in Canada. To which most people would say, yes of course, that is what you are familiar with.
Oh you are just being dumb now. Not every country has a middle. Infact does the US have a middle? You guys only have 2 parties to choose from after all. What about countries with only one political party? Think the majority in those countries consider themselves in the middle. No I think not.

The fact is, the concept of a "middle" is a luxury of the modern world, but is in no way the norm for most people of this planet.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 11:15 PM

Please. All countries have plans to take over almost every other country in the world.

I know Canada's plan for the US already. If they ever attacked us, we'd just launch a few of the thousands of nukes we have stored in the Northwest, and Rockies

I know they all say we don't have them, but in reality what country is going to manufacture nukes for the US without at least having double or tripple as many as they send to them?
Na, why bother with messy radiation? We can just assult them with a "shock and awe" attack of easy listening music and witty comedians. Once the populus is distracted our mounties can ride into washington and burn the whitehouse down again, which will ofcourse demoralize them into submission!!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
Na, why bother with messy radiation? We can just assult them with a "shock and awe" attack of easy listening music and witty comedians. Once the populus is distracted our mounties can ride into washington and burn the whitehouse down again, which will ofcourse demoralize them into submission!!

This must be the true plan, mine was of course the back-up plan

Forum Links
Forum Rules