Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Using Mac formatted iPod in Windows?

Using Mac formatted iPod in Windows?
andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2005, 03:11 PM

Hi all, I tried using the search function in this forum but apparently it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyways, I want my Mac formatted iPod mini to be viewable as a drive in Windows, but AFAIK, Windows does not recognize the Mac's HFS+ drive...

And after some googling, I realize from here that if I format my iPod FOR Windows FAT32, I won't be able to do any of those firmware updates any more in OS X? Am I correct in interpreting that?

Or is it do-able, like the iPod shuffle is formatted as a FAT32 drive, but it will update just fine in OS X?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
( Last edited by andretan; Aug 21, 2005 at 02:52 AM. )
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2005, 11:28 PM

Use MacDrive from Mediafour.

http://mediafour.com/

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 26, 2005, 04:21 AM

It would be slower for your Mac to update songs because OS X has to read a non-native disk format. I've tried it. Copying between two Mac formatted hard drives is faster than copying between a Mac formatted hard drive and a Windows formatted hard drive.

In any case, MacOpener is also another possibility since it allows Windows users to read Mac formatted hard drives.

Not sure about updating the iPod firmware though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules