Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can I install os 9.1 on my machine

Can I install os 9.1 on my machine
The Big Dawg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 11:47 PM

I have a Macintosh Power PC 8500/120 computer that has been upgraded with a Sonnet Crescendo G4 400/1M card at 445 mhz.

I'm installing a new hard drive and don't have any install disks. I was thinking of buying a 9.1 install disk. I believe it will work but thought I'd check here first to make sure.

Do you think this is the best os to use on this machine? Thanks.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 03:34 AM

Apple says your machine only supports 9.0, but you should be able to use OS 9 Helper from Other World Computing to get your maching running 9.1. The compatibility page lists your 8500 as compatible with 9.1, but I was confused about the upgrade card. It says that 2.0.1 of Sonnet works. Do Sonnet upgrade cards come with software? The compatibly page is here if you want to check it yourself.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 01:19 AM

Shareware MacTracker say that your computor will run OS 9.1....

I am running OS 9.1 with my 7300 and a Sonnet Crescendo G3 400.............. Go for it.........

You don't need any OS9 Helper shareware........

bigbiker

kbata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 11:41 PM

You can run 9.1 without any changes. If you want to use 9.2 or X you need helper software. OS X runs great on my upgraded 7500.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by George Orville:
Shareware MacTracker say that your computor will run OS 9.1....

I am running OS 9.1 with my 7300 and a Sonnet Crescendo G3 400.............. Go for it.........

You don't need any OS9 Helper shareware........

bigbiker
So when Apple says 9.0, what they mean is they only support up to 9.0, not that it won't take anything higher?

jasonyates
Feb 23, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
So when Apple says 9.0, what they mean is they only support up to 9.0, not that it won't take anything higher?
I don't know what Apple says about it, but as far as I know the older machines (PCI PowerMacs, such as the 8500 for instance) will run up to 9.1 normally. 9.2.1, 9.2.2, etc. will also run, but that is when you need to use "OS 9 Helper" to make it install.

With a G4 upgrade card you may as well try running OS X if you can get your hands on a copy.

-Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules