Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread.

Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread. (Page 4)
swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 9, 2007, 05:00 PM

I see you altered it from iTunes scrollbars even. iTunes doesn't have that lighter pixel to the left of the vertical scrollbar. Yours looks better but did you change it in iTunes too?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by arcticmac View Post
SO, for those of you complaining about signing, I've got something to try... not sure if it works, but... *.app/Contents/CodeResources is a big long plist with a bunch of data objects that have sha hashes of the resources in them. In other words, try doing
Code:
openssl dgst -sha1 -binary modifiedresourcefile | openssl enc -base64
and putting that result into the CodeResources XML (if you want to use Property list editor, you should just do
Code:
openssl dgst -sha1 modifiedresourcefile
since it takes care of the base64 encoding for you. When I do that, the message I get changes from "a sealed resource is missing or invalid" to "code or signature modified". Maybe this fixes the problem? if not, dig deeper.
No, it doesn't. If a signature is valid, codesign -v shouldn't say anything. If it's telling you something is wrong, the signature is invalid.

Even if you successfully change the signature, Apple considers the program an entirely different program because it has an entirely different signature.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
I see you altered it from iTunes scrollbars even. iTunes doesn't have that lighter pixel to the left of the vertical scrollbar. Yours looks better but did you change it in iTunes too?
It looks like that is some applications, and others it does not. For example, the finder doesn't have them

It just depends on the application and how it's made. Maybe it's a cocoa/carbon thing.

I've found a lot of differentiation between the two. Esp with "Background" images.

The images are STRAIGHT from iTunes's scroll bars. I didn't modify them at all. For a reason.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 06:00 PM

Wait, I think it depends on the page.

Same theme, I haven't modded it. And same application (Safari)

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 9, 2007, 08:14 PM

I see what you mean now, mine does it too. The left edge looks totally different in Safari depending on the pages background color.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 10, 2007, 07:15 PM

AH, have you messed with the list headers yet?

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 10, 2007, 09:58 PM

Not yet, I havent touched anything but the scrolls still. Not changing?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 10:34 PM

Anyone going to release the scroll bars for a PPC machine?
Never-mind found it here:

MacThemes / [RSRC] iTunes style scrollbars for Leopard.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 07:12 AM

Some of us want to release the theme finished zerostar. Just having the main scroll bars changed is easy. What about the small scrollbars and thumbs? (Working on that now myself) That takes a bit extra time and a bit more skill. Not only that, it defeats the reason for doing such a thing. Making the OS consistent. The themes other people are getting elsewhere just have the MAIN scroll bars and thumbs edited. That is all. I've checked them all out.

If that is all you care about then cool. I think me and swiz have something better in mind.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 11, 2007 at 08:26 AM. )

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
Not yet, I havent touched anything but the scrolls still. Not changing?
Doesn't look like we are going to be able to.

*sigh*

wingchun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
... I think me and swiz have something better in mind.
good news !! looking forward to it.
thanks for the work already did

regards

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 11:39 AM

If that is all you care about then cool. I think me and swiz have something better in mind.
Nope, definitely would like to get rid of the small scrolls as well, also the aqua stoplights but thats a whole nother story. For now I am much better off without the aqua scroll bars on 90% of what I see, looks so much better to me. I will be keeping an eye on the progress.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 11:41 AM

The thing that sucks about 10.5 is, and I am going to go on a long winded rant here..

It's obviously 10.5 wasn't "ready" as Apple wanted it. That what we have is just work they have gotten done "so far"

They had to put something out in Oct or be slammed like MS. So 10.5 was pushed out.

Not that I don't think Apple had the time. They did. From what I have been told by people working inside Cupertino itself is that a lot of people that would have been normally working on Leopard, got pulled to do Steve's recent obsession with the iPhone. Which BTW has a wonderfully consistent GUI.

The convoluted Extras and now Extras2 resources are barely used anymore. Just a few legacy images and things they haven't gotten to yet. The rest is hidden somewhere in some archaic "encrypted" xml code that their new theme application or whatever makes.

Of course I wouldn't have mattered had the GUI actually matched.

Why Apple put iTunes and the rest of the iApps out with a new GUI, while making the Finder have new "windows" but the old GUI is beyond me.

It's a mess. And I know there will be apologetics that will come and say "Apple had more to worry about than the GUI" as if the GUI was superficial.

If people don't remember. Apple's GUI is what set the apart from the rest.

So Apple, if you are listening, I love the new features etc. But in the future releases, lets start worrying more about the basic things. Like everything being consistent, and no feel like it was half done.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2007, 12:35 PM

I, as most, have heard that people were pulled from leopard to work on the iPhone... that is such a bad decision. Is there that much of a shortage of talent that they can't hire another say 5 people to work on the iPhone GUI/programming? That is a scary decision to really think about.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 12:40 PM

zerostar people WAS pulled off 10.5 to work on iPhone. I know one personally. She was not too happy about it because she was really proud of the work she WAS doing. And wanted to be part of it all to the end. She never tells me crap about the actual stuff she does. But she does bitch to me about work related problems of the sort. She abides by her agreement with Apple on that one.

Steve has always been famous of yanking people from one place, and putting them in another all the time. Esp when he has a product he is excited about.

Don't get me wrong. The iPhone is great. But the average user can pretty much see that 10.5 suffered cause of it.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 12:50 PM

Could you imagine if Apple's GUI was entirely black translucent like some of their windows are? I would LOVE IT. Cool looking, while not distracting. Ultimate usage.

http://orange.quickshareit.com/share...1copy2607b.png

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 02:38 PM

Blah n/m

Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 02:41 PM

What was the fix for the screenshot thing, Kevin? (Email notification is the best)

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 02:49 PM

Lets just say if you payed for 10.5, you payed to be a beta tester.

It's a mess. And shows signs of being not finished.

wingchun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 02:54 PM

Could you imagine if Apple's GUI was entirely black translucent like some of their windows are? I would LOVE IT. Cool looking, while not distracting. Ultimate usage.

http://orange.quickshareit.com/share...1copy2607b.png
exactly what i wish to see on my desktop. exactly

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2007, 01:14 AM

Lets just say if you payed for 10.5, you payed to be a beta tester.

It's a mess. And shows signs of being not finished.
I agree.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 06:39 AM

Yeah I was testing resolution independence by typing in

defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.5

Just to test it out. And ever since then my computer has been acting weird, not letting me take screenshots etc. I take it I've entered some "signed" zone and Apple has cut me off from some services.

When I get home I am going to re-install the OS from scratch and say f-it. I might even revert back to 10.4 until Apple can get 10.5 usable (I'm not talking about this incident in general)

BTW Since there is NO WAY to make the Finder look like iTunes I was going to do the reverse. But I doubt that is impossible because it would probably effect iTunes. Also the program File Juicer I'd stay away from as well in 10.5.

No wonder The New ResExcellence ~ The place for all things mac GUI. has been dead for awhile.

The days of modding your own Mac are over unless Apple comes out with something themselves.

And I don't see it happening.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 12, 2007 at 06:45 AM. )

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 10:31 AM

I KNOW this is totally OT, but is there anyway to get these scroll bars for Tiger? I am using UNO theme and since we can't switch to Leopard just yet I thought the iTunes bars would at least make things bearable until we do Anyone have this or know were to get it? Tried google and searching this forum for a bit.

p.s. I would need this for tiger PPC extras file.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 11:01 AM

zero when I get home I'll send you the files to paste into TIger to get them to work right.

Or if swiz has them now I am sure he could send them. We've both given up on trying to make the Finder iTunesable. I've given up on actually modifying ANYTHING with 10.5. Heck I am even scared to run programs on it worrying about it not functioning if I do.

I used 10.4 at work, and I feel more comfortable on it than I do 10.5. I might downgrade till Apple gets things even very documented, or fixed.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 12, 2007, 11:09 AM

If you have any experience with Themepark we could send you the Extras. file and you could just copy paste from our Leo to your Tiger Extras , just the scroll elements.

If you havent used Themepark, you could email me your Extras and I could paste them in in a few minutes.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 11:11 AM

Yeah it will work in Tiger with no problems. You can probably even get the REST of itune's GUI in it as well. I was going to but I thought I'd just wait till 10.5 came out with the new GUI..

I guess we are gonna wait a bit longer.

Having said that, there ARE major improvements to 10.5. It just isn't consumer ready yet IMHO.

That and I am pissy about the new "singing" thing and not being able to hack my resources till I am blue in the face.

ResEdit is really what made my interested in the COMPUTER side. Photoshop 2.0 grabbed me in and made me get a Mac, but it was ResEdit that made me get into computing.

I understood more about how things worked, and got to change things that bugged me about the OS. I'm really going to miss that. When I heard that there was not going to be any resedit for OS X I was upset. Till I learned about packages...

I am hoping something comes out and does something about this code signing thing and modifying GUI resources.

That DOESN'T create a security risk. It would of course probably have to come from Apple.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the help & info, I have run 10.5 with the updated bars all weekend and haven't had any problems, do you think it is dangerous?

Never used themepark, I could try I am sure I could get it working, but I can email the tiger extras wanna PM me where to send them?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 12:11 PM

I am saying I don't KNOW what is dangerous and what isn't. I just know we don't know.

So until I do, or until Apple tells us, I am not mucking with it.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 12:39 PM

Oh ok, i didn't know if you were having a problem, I gotcha now ;-)

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 12:43 PM

Oh yes, I had problems. Not being able to make screenshots was one.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 12:58 PM

Yes but that sounds like a side effect of a broken RI and not just messing with the extras file correct?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2007, 02:01 PM

I honestly miss having the extra creative control over the interface in which I have to stare at all day. It's unfair... if I want to have an ugly GUI or a pretty GUI, I should be able to make that choice. All the controls and stuff would operate the same, just look different. Theming will soon be dead because of code-signing and hard-coded xml files.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Yes but that sounds like a side effect of a broken RI and not just messing with the extras file correct?
Well some of these things started happening before teh IR incident.

Now I can't even get access to ANYTHING root owns.

I am doing a complete wipe and install tonight.

If Apple thought it had problems with Ape installers... people are going to be really messing up their systems.

roosta
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2007, 07:26 PM

has anybody had any luck locating the metal windows files? the current look has the finder widows a little too dark for my taste.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
You're using the Aqua variation right? It only happens on the Graphite variation.
Indeed, I take back my findings. It does occur in the graphite version on my machine. This is kind of like the Safari inconsistency I've found. Pretty weak.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 12, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by roosta View Post
has anybody had any luck locating the metal windows files? the current look has the finder widows a little too dark for my taste.
Have fun reinstalling OS X

Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Indeed, I take back my findings. It does occur in the graphite version on my machine. This is kind of like the Safari inconsistency I've found. Pretty weak.
As a note, the safari thing happens on the Tiger version, too.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2007, 11:48 PM

I noticed. I guess they're just using a single down state for inactive and active tabs. They should add separate ones or use a freakin' masked image type.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 13, 2007, 06:08 AM

Not just that, the scroll thumbs in Carbon apps don't seem to have a "hidden background" view. They look the same in the background as the do the foreground in that way. But Cocoa apps do have them showing up as hidden. For example.

Look at the cocoa application's scroll thumbs. They are sorta greyed out because they are in the back ground.

Now check out Carbon's

Not that this bug is NEW to 10.5. It's been that way for 8 years.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2007, 11:07 AM

I think Apple's GUI is rather sloppy... there's a lot of refinements that need to be made. Sometimes I just wish Apple would start with a clean slate and redesign the entire GUI with one artist for a consistent look throughout the entire system. Instead, OS X is patched together using some old elements, some new elements, some newer elements, some iTunes scroll bars, some metal, some glass, some aqua, some pro.... let's just have ONE theme please Apple.... Geeze. Vista has 1 look... it's not just XP with some additional GUI changes with leftover stuff from Windows 98. I have to admit... Leopard is getting there... but, it's just not what I was hoping for. Apple needs to stop being lazy in the graphics department... and the new Dock is WICKED UGLY... and the Menu bar needs rounded corners... everything else has round corners.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 07:58 PM

I think Apple's GUI is rather sloppy... there's a lot of refinements that need to be made. Sometimes I just wish Apple would start with a clean slate and redesign the entire GUI with one artist for a consistent look throughout the entire system.....
Please... any themer on this board could make aqua totally consistent and many have.... and half of them could make a theme better and more interesting than aqua (I'm not saying EVERYONE would like it though). Apple clearly doesn't care.... they could fix it so easily in about a day. They don't need to start over or hire a new person or pull a team away from the iPhone. I agree that I wish they change to a whole new look though. Aqua is sooooo "1999".

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Aqua is sooooo "1999".
Yup!

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2007, 02:52 AM

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll fix the GUI with updates. One can only hope.
Bla Bla Bla

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 07:16 AM

I think Apple's GUI is rather sloppy... there's a lot of refinements that need to be made. Sometimes I just wish Apple would start with a clean slate and redesign the entire GUI with one artist for a consistent look throughout the entire system. Instead, OS X is patched together using some old elements, some new elements, some newer elements, some iTunes scroll bars, some metal, some glass, some aqua, some pro.... let's just have ONE theme please Apple.... Geeze. Vista has 1 look... it's not just XP with some additional GUI changes with leftover stuff from Windows 98. I have to admit... Leopard is getting there... but, it's just not what I was hoping for. Apple needs to stop being lazy in the graphics department... and the new Dock is WICKED UGLY... and the Menu bar needs rounded corners... everything else has round corners.
I agree with everything but the dock. I love the look of the new dock. But everything else was SPOT ON.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
I managed to replace the default progress and scroll bars with the AquaExtreme ones. Much better than both the defaults and the ones from iTunes IMO.

Extras.rsrc and Extras2.rsrc

Do you still have this available?

PaperNotes
Nov 14, 2007, 04:04 PM

Where are the resource files (the dark semi-transparent images) that make up the background of the Stack's grid view? I want to put a white outline around the edges so it matches the flat Dock background. If someone could beat me to it all the better

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 04:34 PM

No clue. And even if I did have a clue, I doubt you can mess with them.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2007, 04:43 PM

Do you still have this available?
You can use the same exact Extras.rsrc files from Max's Smoothstripes theme from 10.4. I'm currently using it and it works flawlessly.

If you want the files though, IM me later and I can send you them.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 04:46 PM

You can use the same exact Extras.rsrc files from Max's Smoothstripes theme from 10.4. I'm currently using it and it works flawlessly.
Seriously? Wow..
If you want the files though, IM me later and I can send you them.
I already have that theme installed on my work computer. But thanks for the tip.

So obviously the Extras.rsrc hasn't changed from 10.4 to 10.5 at all.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2007, 05:26 PM

Nope... I think they just started using the new method and just didn't finish with the scroll bars in time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules