Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Best Sports Game

Best Sports Game
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2007, 12:17 AM

I used to be a huge video game nerd... I'm 29, so I'm at the perfect age.

I've been out of it for the last 10 years I'd say... last system I remember playing was Sony Playstation and Nintendo 64.

My wife just bought a Wii so I've played the sports game that came with it. And I own a Genesis playing NHL 94. Great game.

I just got the itch again. I was at Best Buy and saw Playstation 2 for $129...

I play mostly sports game.

Which ones do you think are the best (past or present?)

And do you think the Playstation 2 versions of NHL 08, Madden 08, etc, are close enough to XBOX 360 or P3?

I was having a great time last night playing NHL 94... I'm more into game play.

Thanks for any advice. It's been so long.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 09:20 AM

Well, I was a long time NBA gamer, but after Live 06, the series controls and interaction took a turn for the worst. And I find the 2k series unplayable after having used EAs style for so long.

A friend of mine bought Madden '08 for PS2 and played the crap out of it. He recently got a 360 and has commented on how horrible/different the next gen version is compared to the same game on PS2 (Interface, control).

So what am I getting at? Not sure. Another friend and I had been commenting on the decay of the major sports game the past couple years. I have yet to find something to replace Live, but I have taken to playing Mutant League Football again on the Genesis.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2007, 12:57 PM

The PS2 was not only the best console of all-time, it is also the best sports console of all-time.

Pick up a PS2. It's a great steal at this point. NBA Live is poop, like Dakar said, but Madden, NHL, NHL2K, Pro Evolution Soccer, FIFA, Tiger Woods, and Hot Shots Golf are all great sports games available for the system.

And yes, the PS2 and XBox versions of Madden are much more enjoyable, IMHO.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2007, 12:58 PM

NBA Live after 06 is crap. I thought 06 was fantastic (after tweaking the in-game settings).

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 02:05 PM

i would say its worth getting yourself a PS2 for some new madden games, they are definitely a lot more immersive of a football experience than previous years. if your looking for a hockey game for PS2 i think your better off with the NHL 07/08 than the 2K series, the gameplay is a lot more realistic in the 07/08 games

and NHL 94' is by far the BEST hockey game ever made.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2007, 08:09 PM

Sweet advice. I think I will pick up the PS2 now. And go on eBay to get the mutant league genesis games as those were great.

I also need to find a stereo connector for my Sega Genesis 3 as it only come with mono.

I agree, NHL 94 is great. No blood or fighting, but everything else. I recall not likely the versions after that. I don't like how in the new systems sports games are so realistic. I don't want true realism, I want gameplay. It's too hard to control everyone on the field. My favorite football game used to be Joe Montana's football. Last time I played Madden at a friend's house, it was so hard. Less is more for me.

What about Bulls vs Lakers for Genesis. Is it too slow now?

Any specific picks keep them coming. NBA 06 is good advice.

It seems a lot of you think gameplay is superior on the older systems. Nice to hear.

How is The Simpsons game on PS2. It looks fun.

And has anyone played Head Coach or Jaws for PS2? Those looked like a hell of a ride.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 12:37 AM

I just tried the NHL '08 demo on XBOX 360 and wow the game play and graphics are top notch.

JayMan8081
Nov 30, 2007, 05:14 PM

If you're a hockey fan definitely stick to the EA hockey games (NHL 07 or 08) since they have the "Skill Stick" controls. This is where the left thumbstick controls the skater and the right thumbstick controls the players stick. The only button used is one button to pass or switch players. It's an amazing control scheme!

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2007, 01:28 AM

That sounds fun... I assume it easy to shoot using it.

So you don't like the NHL2K game compared to the EA?

JayMan8081
Dec 3, 2007, 11:18 AM

I have played both the NHL 2K series and now the EA series and I would say that EA has gotten it right. It takes a little time to get acclimated to the new control scheme but once you do it's unbelievably fun!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2007, 03:46 PM

NHL '94: best sports game ever.

NYK Ace
Senior User
Dec 4, 2007, 06:41 PM

nhl 08 for ps3 is a great game, the controls are fluid and easy to pick up

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2007, 08:36 PM

NHL '94... been love playing it again.

I don't recall now, didn't something change in NHL '95 that wasn't as good... did the players get bigger?

Any other version from Genesis that was good?

I think I'll be the EA version of the hockey game for the PS2...

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2007, 08:39 PM

Has anyone played any of the sports games on the Wii... Madden? It seems like it might be great if you can control is using the Wii Remote, but from my past, Nintendo usually has the worst versions of any EA games...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 04:03 PM

Madden on Wii just doesn't feel right.

I tried it both years, and too many times it feels like the "waggle" damages the gameplay a bit. For instance, you're supposed to be able to throw the ball harder in-game by slinging the Wii remote faster, but too many times it would result in an awkward lob. That would never happen using classic controls.

I just don't like sports games on the Wii, even though I love the rest of the games that I play on it (Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Call of Duty Heroes 2). The only sports game that I enjoy on it is MLB Power Pros, which doesn't even use Wii controls; it uses the classic controller.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 11:45 PM

Wii + Tiger Woods = Gold

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 09:26 AM

Somewhat OT, but I decided to download the NBA Live 08 demo for shits and giggles. Gameplay has advanced so far that they've removed shot control.

That's right, they're now on par with Live 96 and 97.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
That's right, they're now on par with Live 96 and 97.
Still not far enough. 94 and 95 were my favorites. Hersey Hawkins for 3!

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
Still not far enough. 94 and 95 were my favorites. Hersey Hawkins for 3!
Not far enough? Perhaps you'd like to be 2D and isometric?

That's an embarrassing step backwards, and the only reasons I can think of for it is they are either trying to make the game even more fluid (which keeps making me feel less and less in control), trying to make the game more appealing to newcomers (in which case they should make it optional like before and switch default to no shot control), or shooting was broken (too easy to miss open shots with good shooters if you had bad form or hit difficult shots with poor shooters if you had good form).

Christ, NBA Jam had shot control.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Not far enough? Perhaps you'd like to be 2D and isometric?
Good times, good times...

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 11:41 AM

Another alternative to Madden is the NCAA Football series. I have 07 (will probably supplement it with Madden 08 soon), and it's lots of fun.

College football is different from pro, with a wider variety of plays like the option. There are some unrealistic elements of course, but you can adjust those with sliders. I tend to get sacked and make sacks way too often. I sacked the opponent's QB 8 times in one game, for instance, so I adjusted the pocket protection up to the maximum, and that helped. It's also too easy to pull off huge runs with the option. My main QB averaged something like 13 yards per carry. And my biggest complaint with the Madden series is the ease with which you can pull off huge Hail Mary passes. A friend of mine makes fun of me every time I talk about the game because whenever I play against him, he always selects a Hail Mary every time and beats me.

Still, it's a fun game, and a little different from your typical NFL gameplay.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules